Directed Radio Net check in

Started by LT. Brian L. Woryk, October 13, 2014, 09:36:08 PM

LT. Brian L. Woryk

Greetings all, I am a first time poster.

I am my Squadron's Communications Officer/Skills Evaluator.  Does anyone have a methodology for multiple radio check ins from one Squadron?  We participate in a weekly radio net, I would like to engage the Cadets to keep their interest up (and progress into the rest of ES).

So, at this point on the weekly check in there is:

FS439 - Comms officer

FS59 - Base Radio

So this is myself, and one Cadet.  I just signed off 10 Cadets, how do we get them on the air? Suggestions?

MIKE

I would argue that the purpose of the net is not to know the number of callsigns at a squadron meeting... but for members to prove that their equipment is operational by checking in themselves on their assigned radio.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

+1, it's not an administrative exercise it's a confidence check.

If you're looking for reps for your cadets, use the ISR or get some FSR radios and do a local net.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

You can coordinate with the Net controller before the COMMEX and have some simulated message traffic passed.   You can also let them know you have multiple people working on their Comm tickets and they could just do a lot of comm checks after the net has done the role call.

It is not that hard to coordinate.   Let the net get their business done and then do your training.

Point of order.....you CANNOT use FSR's for CAP comm operations. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on October 14, 2014, 12:18:03 AM
Point of order.....you CANNOT use FSR's for CAP comm operations.

Yes, you can. 

CAPR 100-1, Dec 2012, Page 40
9-11. Family Radio Service (FRS). While use of ISR is preferred, the use of FRS radios is
authorized IAW NTIA Regulations section 7.5.8. FRS radios are authorized for all CAP units and
activities not directly supporting Emergency Services
(actual missions and training).
Emergency/disaster response, medical communications, and command and control communications
are examples of emergency services functions which are prohibited from using FRS.

a. Limited Emergency Services FRS Use. One exception to the prohibition against ES
use of FRS is when attempting to contact victims or the objects of a search. If it is believed that
the victims or search target may be carrying FRS, ES personnel MAY use FRS in an attempt to
contact the victims directly. FRS will not be used for communications between ES personnel or
for any other manner of ES communications support.

b. Permissible FRS Use. Some examples of permissible FRS activities would include
encampments, air shows, fund raisers, model rocketry, conferences, meetings and non-direct
mission supporting activities of a similar nature. They would also be ideal as a hands-on training
tool for communications classes
such as demonstrating how to call other stations, transmitting
and receiving formal traffic and simulated ES radio traffic. Do not use FRS radios while
airborne.

c. All FRS radios and operations must meet FCC Part 95 rules, including the necessity of
using FCC-certified FRS equipment. FRS radios must not be modified in any way.
Modified/illegal FRS radios are subject to confiscation by the FCC.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

That reg contradicts its self.   

No wonder why people in CAP get confused.

You win I stand corrected.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on October 14, 2014, 12:25:51 AM
Training.

It's OK to actually read the reg.

FRS radios are >not< limited to training, they can be used for >anything< in CAP except ES.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Quoteb. Permissible FRS Use. Some examples of permissible FRS activities would include
encampments, air shows, fund raisers, model rocketry, conferences, meetings and non-direct
mission supporting activities of a similar nature. They would also be ideal as a hands-on training
tool for communications classes such as demonstrating how to call other stations, transmitting
and receiving formal traffic and simulated ES radio traffic.

So the nit to pick here is that you can't use FRS during actual or training missions. But you can use them to simulate radio traffic you would hear during a real or training mission.

The hair has never been so thinly split.

Eclipse

It's not fine at all.

If it's got a mission number, no FRS, if it doesn't, have at it.

This isn't new by any means, and it literally intended to allow units with no issued com assets to
still train on radios, and for things like encampments or air shows to use whatever they have.

"That Others May Zoom"

Turbine 33

Sorry to Necro post here. We have a similar problem in our squadron. As the Comms guy it pains me to be sitting on tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear and have 5 radios issued out but can only get one member to check in on our weekly nets....

whew long run on sentence there. I realize some guys can't hit the repeater, but come on!
1st Lieutenant
Group 1 ES Ofifcer
Communications Officer
Jefferson 55

Jefferson 133

arajca

If they can't hit the repeater, can they hit each other on a simplex channel? If so, look at running a local simplex net.

Turbine 33

No, of the two one was so far away he could only hit repeaters in our Northern AO. He turned it in since ES is "a waste of his time" and the other guy lives too far for both simplex and duplex.
1st Lieutenant
Group 1 ES Ofifcer
Communications Officer
Jefferson 55

Jefferson 133

Eclipse

Quote from: Turbine 33 on December 27, 2014, 05:20:20 PM
No, of the two one was so far away he could only hit repeaters in our Northern AO. He turned it in since ES is "a waste of his time" and the other guy lives too far for both simplex and duplex.

Then he has no use for the radios and was right to turn them in.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Turbine 33 on December 27, 2014, 05:20:20 PM
Is there anyone from another unit that lives in range? Also, contact your wing DC for ideas or suggestions.

Dr.T

Brian:

Maybe I misunderstood your question, but it seems like you were asking how to keep 10 cadets involved?

You have two call signs listed. Is this the total number of participants for the net, or the total from your squadron in a Freestate Net? If the latter, then I suggest you opt for net control from your base station, and rotate  the job among the cadets. If the former, is that because you can't reach a repeater?

As for communications in general, I've been playing around with an idea of getting the cadets involved in RTL Software Defined Radio. It's receive only, but for around $20 you can have them listening in on ADS-B, approach control, local emergency services, etc. If you don't know what it is, just google "RTL SDR". I'd also get them involved in the local ham clubs.

Also, I'd work with the other squadron's comm officers to set up field exercises, where your cadets can get experience putting together, operating, and taking down a comm. cache.

Hope this helps.
DrT

Brad

To echo what Dr. T says, I've played around with RTL & SDRSharp myself after reading about it in QST. It's a really good way of setting up a receiving station and really helps understand the basics of frequency, bandwidth, etc. since you can actually see the modulation.

Also I would highly recommend all communicators sign up on the CAP-COMM mailing list at http://lists.sempervigilans.org/
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

SarDragon

As an aside, Ken Wyndika is a member of that list.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret