Aircrew Wings Available

Started by pierson777, October 05, 2014, 11:04:29 PM

Storm Chaser

Quote from: shuman14 on October 07, 2014, 12:14:26 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 06, 2014, 12:55:16 PM
Regardless of size and preference, all CAP aeronautical wings need to be standardized.

So where do you place the blame... Scamguard or National HQ?

First of all, you're a Major with the U.S. Army Reserve and a CAP National Patron, so please keep your posts professional.

CAPM 39-1 clearly depicts an image of these Aircrew Wings and offers overall length for regular and miniature size badges. Vanguard could have used that as a guideline, however the image itself doesn't constitute a standard or specification.

The responsibility to issue specifications for CAP insignias and to provide adequate oversight resides in NHQ. As the sole contractor/vendor for these insignias, Vanguard also has a responsibility to seek clarification when needed and to have quality control measures in place to ensure specifications are met. But that doesn't relief NHQ from its overall quality assurance responsibility. It's a shared responsibility.

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

GrimReaper

This is where I got the info originally.  Yes, I know this is not regulatory.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2649/kw/aircrew%20wings

Devil Doc

Quote from: THRAWN on October 07, 2014, 01:56:11 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on October 07, 2014, 01:41:15 PM
So how do they count "Hours" for AP?

Keep a logbook.

So, keep a logbook of how many hours you are on a Sortie, AP or not? Keep a log of when you are on a AP Sortie? Do all of the hours combined, Eg.  Spotter, Scanner, AP, High Bird etc
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on October 07, 2014, 02:43:51 PM
OK, those are neither regulatory, nor is there any reference to a CAPF2A for award.

Nor are they included in with the other awards such as MO or GTM in OPS Quals.

Frankly, a Unit or Wing CC would be well within their authority not to award them or allow their wear
until this is fixed, and if it's to make a point to NHQ about simple things being made too difficult
because "A doesn't talk to B before changing things" then so be it.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Devil Doc on October 07, 2014, 03:34:23 PM

Keep a logbook.

So, keep a logbook of how many hours you are on a Sortie, AP or not? Keep a log of when you are on a AP Sortie? Do all of the hours combined, Eg.  Spotter, Scanner, AP, High Bird etc

Looks to me like you'd make a notation in your logbook anytime you perform as any of the specialties listed in the AC definition (i.e. Scanner, AP, etc.). If you look at the criteria for the senior and master, it looks like you can combine the hours of any of the specialties.

This is beating the horse a bit more, but there really needs to be a reg written on this. The uni manual has been out for almost a year....
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

The CyBorg is destroyed

Regardless of size and preference, all CAP aeronautical wings need to be standardized.

National HQ for not presenting Scamguard with a template: "these is what they shall look like and do not deviate from it, not even one feather."  Unless, of course, they did, and Scamguard just chose to ignore it.

Scamguard for producing cheap crap that just looks bad and unprofessional and getting by with it because they know they're the only game in town.

So, I would say 50/50.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Shuman 14

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 07, 2014, 01:54:59 PM

First of all, you're a Major with the U.S. Army Reserve and a CAP National Patron, so please keep your posts professional.

CAPM 39-1 clearly depicts an image of these Aircrew Wings and offers overall length for regular and miniature size badges. Vanguard could have used that as a guideline, however the image itself doesn't constitute a standard or specification.

The responsibility to issue specifications for CAP insignias and to provide adequate oversight resides in NHQ. As the sole contractor/vendor for these insignias, Vanguard also has a responsibility to seek clarification when needed and to have quality control measures in place to ensure specifications are met. But that doesn't relief NHQ from its overall quality assurance responsibility. It's a shared responsibility.

So you blame both, got it.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: CyBorg on October 07, 2014, 05:12:55 PM

National HQ for not presenting Scamguard with a template: "these is what they shall look like and do not deviate from it, not even one feather."  Unless, of course, they did, and Scamguard just chose to ignore it.

Scamguard for producing cheap crap that just looks bad and unprofessional and getting by with it because they know they're the only game in town.

So, I would say 50/50.

Cyborg, don't say Scamguard anymore... it's unprofessional and someone may get a offended by your honesty.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Storm Chaser

Quote from: shuman14 on October 07, 2014, 05:46:04 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 07, 2014, 01:54:59 PM

So you blame both, got it.

I'm not blaming anyone, but merely stating that they're both responsible for getting this done right. That said, NHQ is ultimately responsible for ensuring standards and specifications are met. 

Storm Chaser

Quote from: shuman14 on October 07, 2014, 05:50:13 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on October 07, 2014, 05:12:55 PM

So, I would say 50/50.

Cyborg, don't say Scamguard anymore... it's unprofessional and someone may get a offended by your honesty.  ;)

I'm not offended; just calling out. You're a military officer and, as such, are held at higher standard.

Devil Doc

Quote from: THRAWN on October 07, 2014, 04:30:00 PM

Keep a logbook.

Looks to me like you'd make a notation in your logbook anytime you perform as any of the specialties listed in the AC definition (i.e. Scanner, AP, etc.). If you look at the criteria for the senior and master, it looks like you can combine the hours of any of the specialties.

This is beating the horse a bit more, but there really needs to be a reg written on this. The uni manual has been out for almost a year....

Thank you Thrawn, I dont have nearly enough hours for the Senior Rating or Master, it was just to clear things up. I actually dont have any Do Hickies on my Uniform. I am about to sew on my FMF Pin and that will be it for awhile.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

PHall

Keep a logbook.

Keep a logbook of ALL flying you do in CAP. Trust me, at some point in the future you will be very glad you did.

lordmonar

Vanguard sells a nice scanner observer log book with places to log you observer hours and scanner hours
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: lordmonar on October 08, 2014, 03:04:03 AM
Vanguard sells a nice scanner observer log book with places to log you observer hours and scanner hours

+1

I got one and it is better than a diary. Plus it helps me recall the various missions including the "dam" mission I was on.   8)

THRAWN

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

JeffDG

Quote from: lordmonar on October 08, 2014, 03:04:03 AM

http://myflightbook.com is an incredibly flexible online logbook that would handle MO/MS stuff.

Eclipse

A just a spreadsheet in GDocs.

I've started them a bunch of times, I even have one that is supposed to track all of my CAP
activity from meetings to missions "just because", but in the end they are never current
because:

I don't care enough to keep them updated.

No one else does either.

It's one thing to want the basic badge, beyond that ((*yawn*)).  I'll take a SAR ribbon
over the hours star all day.

"That Others May Zoom"