"AMMA II" (any interest before I begin working to make it reality)

Started by wwildcat, September 20, 2014, 02:09:41 PM

wwildcat

Gauging Interest:

I have been working on an "AMMA II" as a follow on NCSA for those who have attended AMMA at Cessna, Independence, KS. This "AMMA " follow on will be consisting of more "maintenance centric activity" as well as "manufacturing of commercial aircraft."

I am working on it, NO permissions have been granted for anything as yet.

Heres an idea of how such an AMMA would work: [if it all fell into place]

First: spend a few days (2 or so) in Atlanta touring and being a part of Delta Airlines maintenance facility-- Delta;s facility is a world class facility at Atlanta and would showcase commercial aircraft maintenance as it happens on ACTUAL DELTA AIRCRAFT. These aircraft include 737, 747,757, 767 and in future years maybe 787. Maybe a tour of Lockheed assembly where the C-130 and F-35 are built too, if there is time and its not to far from ATL. Since its ATL, you may even see an A380 land/take off while your there.

Then a ride on a C-17 to JFB Charleston, SC where a tour and participation of C-17 maintenance-- a view of life on a real USAF base as well as presentations by the USAF and USAF Reserve as well as SC Army National Guard Aviation (UH-60 Blackhawk) a visit with the local CAP squadron, too since they are located on the JFB  Charleston base, too-- aBBQ or something with them.

Fun continues with a trip to "ReadySC" [Trident community college] where Boeing prepares its 787 people to certify them to work on the 787 Dreamliner-- this is where a lot of "hands on" will occur on carbon fiber, proper drilling, aluminum riveting (remember that from AMMA I if you went) as well as the final activity:

Travel to Boeing South Carolina for a tour and time with the 787 Dreamliner at the final assembly point for the 787. While "hands on" may not be possible on the 787, the tour and time on the 787 will be much more informative then the general public would get. This includes being able to actually walk out onto the plant floor to see the 787 UP CLOSE. Ill have to get picture info too, as picture taking is controlled as it is in cessna at the plant.

Boeing 787 also has a souvenir shop where one can purchase stuff just like at Cessna. A coin and patch would be available for attendees, and Ill also seek permission for that patch to be placed on the uniform (BDU or BBDU) like other NCSA patches.

"Off duty" activites would be games, pool (swimming) and such--both Charleston and Atlanta have fun things to do.

Presentations and classes will be held, too just as they were at AMMA in Indy.

The only requirement for this NCSA  is attendance at AMMA in independence, KS first.

Uniform consists of a event t shirt and some comfortable "dockers style" slacks. Unlike AMMA I, NO BDUS will be worn.

Blues will be needed, though. (Group Pics at Charleston and Boeing.

NOTHING IS IN YET, IM WORKING ON IT. Just gauging interest at this point to see if its worth the effort. :)

Major S. Williams
I am a big boy now, there is no reason to go to my wing CC or DCP because I chat on CAPtalk. :)

abdsp51

Sounds interesting but good luck on the C17 flights,  the AF is not going to cut a mission and waste space and money to fly you. 

Eclipse

Ditto on the C17 rides.

Orides are easy, transports are not likely to happen, and further are fairly
high risk for leaving you stranded.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

The rate that AMC bills a user for C-17's is $5200/hr.  Who's cutting the check?

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on September 20, 2014, 05:05:36 PM
The rate that AMC bills a user for C-17's is $5200/hr.  Who's cutting the check?

Don't forget the per diem costs as well, especially if the bird doesn't come from Charleston.  It's a great idea overall but there is more pressing issues for the use of a C17 than a NCSA for cadets. 

JD

Why would you only allow cadets that have attended AMMA to attend?
They have already been to a maintenance/manufacturing NCSA based off your description. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to make this new activity available to all cadets and allow more of them to get the experiences offered? I don't think I know of any NCSA that makes it a requirement to have attended a specific previous activity (other than encampment/RCLS).

Eclipse

Quote from: J DeAngelo on October 25, 2014, 01:17:08 AM
Why would you only allow cadets that have attended AMMA to attend?

It's designed and intended to be a follow-up, not an initial course.

Quote from: wwildcat on September 20, 2014, 02:09:41 PM
I have been working on an "AMMA II" as a follow on NCSA for those who have attended AMMA at Cessna, Independence, KS. This "AMMA " follow on will be consisting of more "maintenance centric activity" as well as "manufacturing of commercial aircraft."

"That Others May Zoom"

JD

Quote from: Eclipse on October 25, 2014, 01:23:13 AM

It's designed and intended to be a follow-up, not an initial course.

Then I suggest designing it to be a stand alone course.

Eclipse

?

How does that work, exactly, when it is supposed to be a follow on course?

Did you read the OP?

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: JD on October 25, 2014, 01:17:08 AM
I don't think I know of any NCSA that makes it a requirement to have attended a specific previous activity (other than encampment/RCLS).

PJOC is required to attend APJOC.
The Hawk program requires for certain courses that you must have attended previous Hawk courses. 

So not unheard of.

C/Awesomenesss

Brad

Sounds great, certainly embodies the more unique NCSAs that make CAP so aweseom, plus call me biased but I'd certainly love to see SCWG host an NCSA.

Edit: Holy necropost, Batman! Yea that's what night shift sleep schedule does to the brain.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN