Main Menu

Cadet Abuses Power

Started by Reader5567, August 06, 2014, 02:00:55 PM

Reader5567

What do I do about a cadet who abuses his power?

C/CMSgt Thadeus Smith, First Sergeant, Peninsula Composite Squadron.

LSThiker

Provide more information.  Hard to say what to do without knowing the problem.  What do you mean abuses power?  What position of authority are you in?  Etc.

Eclipse

Report it immediately to your senior-member superiors.

The only people who can decide if an action or attitude if "abuse of power" are the adults in your program.

If you do not receive a timely response or support, start working your way up the chain.

"That Others May Zoom"

Reader5567

OK, he is 13 years old, the same age as me. He is a tech sergeant. Once he wouldn't let me drink from a water fountain because "it was the NCO water fountain", which was a lie. He also refused to refer to me by my name like all the other cadets in my squadron, rather, he called me Airman, even when I asked him to stop. His reply was "I'm a higher rank then you, Airman! You can't tell me what to do!"

He is also very cocky, authoritarian, and rude.

arajca

Airman is the correct term of address for a C/SrA. If he is calling all the other cadets by name except you, there may be an issue. If he is calling all the other cadets by grade, he's correct.

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on August 06, 2014, 03:01:04 PM

The only people who can decide if an action or attitude if "abuse of power" are the adults in your program.

If you do not receive a timely response or support, start working your way up the chain.

Obviously there is no such "thing" as an "NCO water fountain" or any other such nonsense.
As to the name, "Airman" or "Cadet" is, at times, an appropriate term of address, so don't get yourself
wrapped around the axle about it.

He's learning, too.

"That Others May Zoom"

Reader5567

Quote from: arajca on August 06, 2014, 07:45:46 PM
Airman is the correct term of address for a C/SrA. If he is calling all the other cadets by name except you, there may be an issue. If he is calling all the other cadets by grade, he's correct.

He only calls me airman. However, from what I understand, you can refer to an Airman by their last name as well.

Reader5567

Quote from: Eclipse on August 06, 2014, 07:45:56 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 06, 2014, 03:01:04 PM

Obviously there is no such "thing" as an "NCO water fountain" or any other such nonsense.
As to the name, "Airman" or "Cadet" is, at times, an appropriate term of address, so don't get yourself
wrapped around the axle about it.

He's learning, too.

Actually, I ended up not being able to drink because he wouldn't let me. It was PT night, too.

JeffDG

Quote from: Reader5567 on August 06, 2014, 07:46:43 PM
Quote from: arajca on August 06, 2014, 07:45:46 PM

He only calls me airman. However, from what I understand, you can refer to an Airman by their last name as well.

"Can", not "must" or "shall".

Reader5567

I know, but I have asked him politely to please stop, because I am the only one he calls Airman, and I am the only one he is rude to.

(Proper use of to vs too? I don't know it.)

Panzerbjorn

It's one thing to abuse authority that is given..."I'm higher rank than you, therefore you must do as I say."  From a 13-year old cadet, that's simply a lack of experience and understanding of leadership.  That comes with time and maturity.  We've all been through it.

What you're talking about is hazing and bullying, which isn't acceptable in CAP from anyone under any circumstances.  Your best course of action is to tell a senior member about it in your squadron, preferably your Deputy Commander of Cadets.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Reader5567

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on August 06, 2014, 08:22:14 PM
It's one thing to abuse authority that is given..."I'm higher rank than you, therefore you must do as I say."  From a 13-year old cadet, that's simply a lack of experience and understanding of leadership.  That comes with time and maturity.  We've all been through it.

What you're talking about is hazing and bullying, which isn't acceptable in CAP from anyone under any circumstances.  Your best course of action is to tell a senior member about it in your squadron, preferably your Deputy Commander of Cadets.

Thanks a lot. I will report him on Thursday.

arajca

Quote from: Reader5567 on August 06, 2014, 08:20:36 PM
I know, but I have asked him politely to please stop, because I am the only one he calls Airman, and I am the only one he is rude to.

Your use is correct. "Too" indicates a relative amount such as too much or too little.

Reader5567

JeffDG

Quote from: arajca on August 06, 2014, 08:26:14 PM

Your use is correct. "Too" indicates a relative amount such as too much or too little.

Or...in addition.  As in:  I'd like to take a drink too.

Eclipse

Not allowing you to drink water during PT (or any time for that matter) is definitely a violation of a number
of policies, including likely verbiage in 52-16 and the safety regs.  It's also just downright dangerous -
imagine a cadet who had other, unknown health issues, is running on a hot night and dies from a heat-stress
related condition because he was barred from getting water.  The days of "tip over your canteen" are long gone.

Also, as mentioned, if you are the only one being referred to in a manner that you consider demeaning, then
it could be a legitimate hazing complaint, though in this case probably borderline at best, unless
there are other unknown factors.

The water issue, especially, should have been addressed immediately, as in an "all-stop / discuss this now"
situation, and yes, in this case I'm suggesting that if a polite reminder didn't suffice, you break ranks and
go immediately to the senior members in charge and ask that it be addressed, and if they don't act immediately,
the next call, honestly could be to the Wing CC.  I guarantee he'd want to know that he has a CC in his midst that
isn't allowing cadets to drink during PT.

I can tell you that if one of my sons came home from a BSA event with a similar story, no one involved would
have a quiet evening. When they were getting ready for camp this year, one goofball scout, and his dad (who is a leader),
tried on several occasions to insinuate that "higher rank scouts eat first and get their own tents".  We had to knock that
back about 5 different times before he quit saying it.  Several times I reminded them that "good leaders eat >last<
after making sure their people are taken care of..."

When you're an adolescent and touching power for the first time, it can go to your head, which is why it is critical
that the seniors involved set and hold the correct tone at all times.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Time for the cadet to read the regulations regarding Hazing and Harrassment.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Reader5567

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 06, 2014, 09:07:20 PM

Where can I find those?

lordmonar

does not matter.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Reader5567 on August 06, 2014, 09:09:46 PM

Where can I find those?

CAPR 52-10, Cadet Program Protection Training and CAPR 52-16, Cadet Program Management, to give you a start.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

MSG Mac

Quote from: Reader5567 on August 06, 2014, 09:09:46 PM

Where can I find those?
E Services I believe it's CAPR 52-10
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MajorM

Talk to your Deputy Commander for Cadets.  Why your first instinct is to come to Cap-talk and not your senior member chain of command makes me think there is much more to the story.

Storm Chaser

^ Not necessarily. Some new/junior cadets don't know that they can go directly to the deputy commander for cadets or squadron commander if they have a problem that goes beyond what the cadet leadership can or should have to deal with.

While the chain of command (CoC) is designed to address issues at the lowest level possible, it takes some experience to know which level is the appropriate one to start with. Many new members also don't understand that the way the CoC works is that if one person in the chain can't or won't help you, you can go to the next up the chain to seek a resolution.

Finally, issues regarding abuse or safety violations must be addressed right away and should be handled by the senior CoC, not the cadet CoC.

EMT-83

We've seen many times where new cadets are afraid to approach senior members with problems such as these. Following the chain of command doesn't mean a hard stop when a 13 year-old NCO is being a jerk.

Hey kids, us old folks don't bite! We're real people that you can talk to without the world coming to an end.

The CyBorg is destroyed

The Safety Officer in me does not at all like the way in which this cadet was not allowed to hydrate.

I remember during BMT aeons ago, one of the first (printable) words I learnt out of my MTI was "HYDRATE!"  You kept that canteen with you and full and ready to hydrate.

I was running flight line safety at an airshow about 15 years ago.  It was a hot summer day.  There was a cadet who was visibly sweating.  He had a bottle of water with him so I told him to hydrate.  He said "I don't really feel the need, Lieutenant."  I said, "I don't care what you feel.  It's hot, you're sweating and I'm not having you pass out on me.  Drink your water."

If I had been at this squadron, and in my old post as Safety Officer, both the CC and I would have had a few words with this cadet NCO.  Thoroughly unacceptable.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MajorM

They don't know to go to their senior members, but they do know to go to CAP-Talk?  Sorry.. Something still doesn't line up for me.  There's a part of the story we're not getting.

LSThiker

Quote from: MajorM on August 07, 2014, 12:47:57 PM
They don't know to go to their senior members, but they do know to go to CAP-Talk?  Sorry.. Something still doesn't line up for me.  There's a part of the story we're not getting.

While there may be more to the story, but going to the internet to ask a question is not an uncommon behavior of today's youth.  They have grown up with access to the internet and are comfortable with it.  A youth can feel "safer" by asking a question to a group of anonymous people and stay relatively "anonymous" as well, even if they post their name.  If they feel they are being judged, it is easier to simply walk away from that internet site and the problem will simply disappear as opposed to real life where it is person-to-person contact.

The same reaction is seen in numerous examples with today's youth.  If they get bullied in school, they turn to the internet as opposed to a teacher or parents.  They have an embarrassing medical question, they do not ask their parents or a school nurse, they turn to the internet.  They feel stressed, they do not ask parents, teachers, clergy, instead they ask the internet.  Children that become pregnant will turn to the internet before telling their parents or a medical doctor.  Children with depression will go to the internet before asking parents, medical workers, friends, or a school counselor.     

At the same, the behavior is seen in adults as well.  Not always, but it is becoming more common as people age.  For example, you will see new parents turn to parenting websites instead of asking their own parents, doctors, or other trusted persons.  Instead of asking their own fathers or friends, some men will turn to the internet to look up car issues or handyman problems.  Lesbians, gays, transgender (LBGT) usually come out first on the internet before ever telling their parents or friends.  The same with atheists or other people looking to switch religions.  Some rape victims will turn to the internet before ever going to the police, parents, or medical workers.   

People of all ages feel embarrassed and/or do not want to feel the social pressure by asking another person or bringing up an issue.  When they turn to the internet, you do not always get that same feeling.

Brit_in_CAP

^   Well stated by LSTHiker.  The web gives a feeling of anonymity that is all too false.  Nevertheless...it is the first place a lot of people go so that they feel more informed when they talk to someone in person.

Reader5567

Quote from: LSThiker on August 07, 2014, 01:30:58 PM
Quote from: MajorM on August 07, 2014, 12:47:57 PM

While there may be more to the story, but going to the internet to ask a question is not an uncommon behavior of today's youth.  They have grown up with access to the internet and are comfortable with it.  A youth can feel "safer" by asking a question to a group of anonymous people and stay relatively "anonymous" as well, even if they post their name.  If they feel they are being judged, it is easier to simply walk away from that internet site and the problem will simply disappear as opposed to real life where it is person-to-person contact.

The same reaction is seen in numerous examples with today's youth.  If they get bullied in school, they turn to the internet as opposed to a teacher or parents.  They have an embarrassing medical question, they do not ask their parents or a school nurse, they turn to the internet.  They feel stressed, they do not ask parents, teachers, clergy, instead they ask the internet.  Children that become pregnant will turn to the internet before telling their parents or a medical doctor.  Children with depression will go to the internet before asking parents, medical workers, friends, or a school counselor.     

At the same, the behavior is seen in adults as well.  Not always, but it is becoming more common as people age.  For example, you will see new parents turn to parenting websites instead of asking their own parents, doctors, or other trusted persons.  Instead of asking their own fathers or friends, some men will turn to the internet to look up car issues or handyman problems.  Lesbians, gays, transgender (LBGT) usually come out first on the internet before ever telling their parents or friends.  The same with atheists or other people looking to switch religions.  Some rape victims will turn to the internet before ever going to the police, parents, or medical workers.   

People of all ages feel embarrassed and/or do not want to feel the social pressure by asking another person or bringing up an issue.  When they turn to the internet, you do not always get that same feeling.

I would like to clarify, I did speak to a senior member, and the situation was handled. I should have been clearer in my original post. I was looking for advice on how to handle it on my own should it happen again. Thank you all for your help.

MajorM

Well good for you then.. And you already have your answer.  Everyone has a boss, and when you have an issue with someone you find their boss and speak your truth.

As far as LSThinker... I realize going to the internet is common, but that doesn't make it right, smart, or appropriate.  Nor does it really solve much.  If I need to figure out how to install a toilet, yes, I can find a good answer with video on the internet.  If I need a solution to an immediate human interaction problem... The internet is not the place, particularly when there is an established system to redress concerns.  I work closely with cadets and see it, you're correct, but we should guide them back to proper channels.  When in the workplace and they use the internet as their sounding board they will have real problems.

The internet, like any tool, is good when used for the appropriate task.  Some answers here were spot on "go to your chain".  Others espoused all types of imagined transgressions and recommendations.  Thus is the nature of the internet.

But in general real problems with real people and best addressed by really talking.  Not crowd-sourcing from some yahoos (myself included) on the internet.

MajorM

Hmmm that first sentence came off sounding flippant... I genuinely mean well done for using your chain of command... That's how it is supposed to work. Good job!

LSThiker

Quote from: MajorM on August 07, 2014, 02:11:29 PM
I realize going to the internet is common, but that doesn't make it right, smart, or appropriate. 

Not arguing that.  Sometimes it is useful to go to the internet, others not.  However, to assume that there is more to the story because a person asks a question on the internet is not a logical conclusion, especially when it is a common practice.

Eclipse

Quote from: Reader5567 on August 07, 2014, 02:03:29 PMI would like to clarify, I did speak to a senior member, and the situation was handled. I should have been clearer in my original post. I was looking for advice on how to handle it on my own should it happen again. Thank you all for your help.

If you spoke to him and it was handled before posting here, then this makes no sense.

Quote from: Reader5567 on August 06, 2014, 08:24:46 PM
Quote from: Panzerbjorn on August 06, 2014, 08:22:14 PM

Thanks a lot. I will report him on Thursday.

"That Others May Zoom"

MajorM

There is always more to the story.  Short of having a video of the event (and even that is not foolproof) the full story is never possible to provide.  If nothing else, author's bias will be present.  The mass of variables in human interaction makes sourcing an answer on a human problem via the internet an exercise in futility.  My experience authors with "hear my problem" are either looking for ammo to confront a real or imagined confrontation with a supervisor or are seeking affirmation of their world view to justify whatever it is they wish to do next.

And just to point out... There was more to the story, though the veracity of that is questionable as Eclipse points out.