Curiosity regarding uniforms...

Started by CAP428, April 12, 2007, 03:07:32 AM

ZigZag911

Quote from: markh on April 12, 2007, 04:47:13 PM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 12, 2007, 04:39:20 PM

Institution of TPU is more recent than latest version of 52-16, and it was clearly stated that cadets not meeting USAF weight standards could wear TPU....there needs to be a change to 52-16  to reflect this.

Wouldn't a change to CAPM 39-1, the sole uniform source, to reflect it be more usefull?

Yes, but if 52-16 is also going to be used as a source by CP personnel, it needs at least to reflect the correct reference to 39-1.

ZigZag911

"Corporate service dress" works fine as a formal designation.

"TPU" is simply an accurate, informal, abbreviated term.....as someone observed, current HeadCap 1 developed it, he should get design credit!

LtCol White

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 13, 2007, 09:47:00 PM
"Corporate service dress" works fine as a formal designation.

"TPU" is simply an accurate, informal, abbreviated term.....as someone observed, current HeadCap 1 developed it, he should get design credit!

No different from when Gen McPeak redsigned the USAF uniform and it was referred to as the "McPeak uniform".  This was the version of the current USAF service coat that had the officer rank on the sleeve cuffs instead of the shoulders.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 13, 2007, 02:01:05 PM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 13, 2007, 01:44:23 PM
Why not call it the TPU? He is the General, he is the one that invented it, and isn't it the birthright of every General to have a legacy?
::)

Besides TPU sounds better then "bus driver uniform" ...even if it looks the same.

What's good for the GOOSE is good for the GANDER.  If it is  not right to call "service dress" class "A" or refer to a 1st Lt as 1LT and a Lt Col as LTC; then it should follow that this uniform not be called "TPU."  Unless it appear that way in print.

Now, there is that CAP culture issue, the same sort that calls the "New Serice Coat" the McPeak via "Air Force Culture."

I guess there is a balance that must be reached.
Besides bdu is already taken  :)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Sgt. Savage

Why not call it the TPU? He is the General, he is the one that invented it, and isn't it the birthright of every General to have a legacy?

Besides TPU sounds better then "bus driver uniform" ...even if it looks the same.

What's good for the GOOSE is good for the GANDER.  If it is  not right to call "service dress" class "A" or refer to a 1st Lt as 1LT and a Lt Col as LTC; then it should follow that this uniform not be called "TPU."  Unless it appear that way in print.

Now, there is that CAP culture issue, the same sort that calls the "New Serice Coat" the McPeak via "Air Force Culture."

I agree and disagree. It's not a really big deal though, Member Search abbreviates 1st Lt as 1Lt and 2nd Lt as 2Lt.

There are some inconsistencies in the system

SarDragon

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on April 19, 2007, 12:11:31 PMI agree and disagree. It's not a really big deal though, Member Search abbreviates 1st Lt as 1Lt and 2nd Lt as 2Lt.

As has been explained before, MIMS, being a computer database, uses shorter abbreviation as an economy of effort measure. Shorter abbreviations take up less memory space, and shorten processing time. These can be significant when dealing with 55,000 or so records in a relational database. Each of the grades above provide a 50% savings in memory, and some indeterminate savings in processing time.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

afgeo4

Quote from: JC004 on April 13, 2007, 02:29:29 PM
Quote from: arajca on April 13, 2007, 02:22:38 PM

After it was first introduced, I began using the terms "corporate or CAP service dress" and " AF service dress" to differentiate between them. I got several comments about why was I calling the TPU something besides the TPU. I also use "Corporate Blue" and "Corporate Grey" to identify the the two flavors of aviator shirt uniforms. Simple and descriptive.

I wonder if it works like the dictionary...if it gets used enough, it'll make its way into 39-1.   :)

Sure, if things actually made their way into the 39-1... EVER
GEORGE LURYE

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on April 20, 2007, 05:17:48 AM
Quote from: Sgt. Savage on April 19, 2007, 12:11:31 PMI agree and disagree. It's not a really big deal though, Member Search abbreviates 1st Lt as 1Lt and 2nd Lt as 2Lt.

As has been explained before, MIMS, being a computer database, uses shorter abbreviation as an economy of effort measure. Shorter abbreviations take up less memory space, and shorten processing time. These can be significant when dealing with 55,000 or so records in a relational database. Each of the grades above provide a 50% savings in memory, and some indeterminate savings in processing time.

So why don't we just abbreviate it, use less ink as well, and make it easier overall? I still think it looks wierd to see "1st LT" on a flightsuit nametag. We're wearing military uniforms, just match it up. It would make an easier transition for members coming from the military, and would show our cadets how the Air Force usually displays it.

Pylon

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 20, 2007, 09:44:25 PM

So why don't we just abbreviate it, use less ink as well, and make it easier overall? I still think it looks wierd to see "1st LT" on a flightsuit nametag. We're wearing military uniforms, just match it up. It would make an easier transition for members coming from the military, and would show our cadets how the Air Force usually displays it.

Easier transition for members coming from the military?  Uh... our official grade abbreviations are how the Air Force abbreviates their ranks officially, too.

Each service has a different way of abbreviating their ranks, and the Associated Press has its own standard, too.  We share a relationship with the Air Force, right?  Then we should continue to abbreviate it like they do.

Yeah, I understand there's a few database benefits achieved by using the least characters possible, but outside those circumstances (for example: correspondence, flight suit nametags, email and forum signatures, signage/plaques/certificates, regulations and pamphlets, forms, websites, etc.) we should be using the official abbreviations.  2d Lt, 1st Lt, Capt, etc...
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: Pylon on April 20, 2007, 10:15:55 PM
Easier transition for members coming from the military?  Uh... our official grade abbreviations are how the Air Force abbreviates their ranks officially, too.

Show me enough U.S. Air Force flightsuits with the rank indicated as "1st Lt" that would provide a legitimate statistic, and I will concede. No knockoffs, one off, or wannabe costumes, but legitimate uniforms utilized by the Air Force.

Yes, there are databases that abbreviate for the sake of economy. My question is: Why shouldn't we just write it that way? Why should we use six (1st Lt) positions or characters to express the grade, when three (1LT) will do?

KISS principle applied. No practical reason to make it longer. Both convey the same information. Short, sweet, and to the point. If someone writes "1LT", do you really not know what it means? Or is the argument more important?

CAP428

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 20, 2007, 11:04:54 PM
Yes, there are databases that abbreviate for the sake of economy. My question is: Why shouldn't we just write it that way? Why should we use six (1st Lt) positions or characters to express the grade, when three (1LT) will do?

KISS principle applied. No practical reason to make it longer. Both convey the same information. Short, sweet, and to the point. If someone writes "1LT", do you really not know what it means? Or is the argument more important?

It's not a matter of what is easy, it is what is right.  I don't see any reason to have 1st Lt over 1LT either, but until it is officially changed, I will continue to abbreviate the proper way because...well, it is right.  Yes, it is 3 less characters to write 1LT but does doing it correctly and typing 1st Lt really take that much more energy?

There are lots of things in life that are easier, but that doesn't mean it is right or correct.  I'll be happy to abbreviate 1LT but only once it is officially changed that way.

Hawk200

Quote from: CAP428 on April 21, 2007, 03:16:13 AMThere are lots of things in life that are easier, but that doesn't mean it is right or correct.  I'll be happy to abbreviate 1LT but only once it is officially changed that way.

Was wondering when someone was going to mention it, it's pretty much the primary point. Why don't we suggest it? Wouldn't take much effort, and a lot of the pubs are due for rewrite soon anyway.

An abbreviation of "2LT" or "LTC" may not be the official way in the regs and such, but I've seen enough military paperwork to know that it is the norm. I don't believe I've seen much that was written out as "1st Lt", etc. in writing when I was active duty.

DNall

Which is literally why the Army switched to the standardized 3-letter identifiers. Which are also used many times in the AF. It's just not considered professional in official communications cause it's slightly inpolite & sways to the Army which obviously the AF just cannot do.  :P

The TPU is officially known (I think) as the alternative corporate service coat, or something to that effect, but that's a mouthful & in general there are no acronyms for the corp-style uniforms.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DNall on April 21, 2007, 09:44:49 PMThe TPU is officially known (I think) as the alternative corporate service coat, or something to that effect, but that's a mouthful & in general there are no acronyms for the corp-style uniforms.

CAP Corporate Uniform = 'TPU'
CAP Aviator Shirt Uniform = CAP grays (per CAPM 39-1)
CAP Distinctive Field Uniform = Blue BDUs

Gen. Pineda eventually will step down from National Commander, but the 'TPU' moniker will stick to the blue corporate uniform.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JC004

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: JC004 on April 22, 2007, 01:33:56 AM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 22, 2007, 12:22:12 AM

*Blueberry Suit   :D

CAP Coastie Uniform

Operational Note: All members wearing said uniform shall be under the jurisdictional command of the Admirals of the Great State of Nebraska.  ;D
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

jimmydeanno

I believe this name was already used by the ultramarine blue flight suit that was phased out in the late 90's...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 23, 2007, 12:15:50 PM

I believe this name was already used by the ultramarine blue flight suit that was phased out in the late 90's...

I thought that was the smurf suit? 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: JC004 on April 23, 2007, 03:13:53 PM

Maybe you're right, I don't remember exactly, I was just a lowly cadet when they phased it out, I do remember allusions to looking like a blueberry when certain "senior members" walked by...I have been known to be wrong before   ;)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 23, 2007, 03:18:35 PM
Quote from: JC004 on April 23, 2007, 03:13:53 PM

Maybe you're right, I don't remember exactly, I was just a lowly cadet when they phased it out, I do remember allusions to looking like a blueberry when certain "senior members" walked by...I have been known to be wrong before   ;)

I'll bet they looked like this, 'cuz the seniors I had when I was a lowly airman did: