Senor Member Pilot Training Question

Started by NC Hokie, July 12, 2014, 06:06:42 PM

NC Hokie

I have a senior member in my squadron that has not maintained currency for her SEL PPL.  Can she use a CAP aircraft with a CAP CFI to prepare for the BFR after renewing her medical certificate?  This appears to be allowed based on CAPR 60-1 paragraph 2-8.c.(1), but I'm not a pilot myself and don't know how/if the lack of currency might play into this.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

Senior members can't use Corporate aircraft for primary, but since the certificate is already held.. ;-)
Remedial it is. Reserve it and fly.

JeffDG

Quote from: a2capt on July 12, 2014, 06:49:17 PM
Senior members can't use Corporate aircraft for primary, but since the certificate is already held.. ;-)
Remedial it is. Reserve it and fly.

Correct.

Senior Members who are not Mission Pilots cannot train for additional certificates without Wing/CC approval, but this is to get back up to speed for an existing certificate, so does not implicate that rule at all.

Now, Eclipse will be along shortly to tell you there's no regulation permitting this activity, so of course it's not allowed.  ;)

Garibaldi

You do realize that if he agrees, the world will collapse and we will all die and be forced to wear g/w in whatever version of hell you believe in, right?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Storm Chaser

Or, you can contact your WG/DO or DOV and find out if there's any process or policies in place to address this in your wing.

SunDog

If the point is just to get current again, I'd advise doing it outside CAP, unless she has a lot of free time.  A couple of hours of dual and she's good to go, BFR in hand, log book endorsed.  Save the tail chasing, emails, phone calls, referrals to someone else, etc.

Get current first, then schedule a Form 5. . .just my opinion, I could be wrong.

PHall

Quote from: SunDog on July 14, 2014, 01:32:17 AM
If the point is just to get current again, I'd advise doing it outside CAP, unless she has a lot of free time.  A couple of hours of dual and she's good to go, BFR in hand, log book endorsed.  Save the tail chasing, emails, phone calls, referrals to someone else, etc.

Get current first, then schedule a Form 5. . .just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Oh I don't know, getting recurrent on the airframe you're getting your checkride in. What a radical concept! :o

FW

Quote from: PHall on July 14, 2014, 02:17:38 AM

Oh I don't know, getting recurrent on the airframe you're getting your checkride in. What a radical concept! :o

Funny, however it may not be practical in some wings.  Even though it may cost more, getting current at the local FBO is more convienient, less of a hassle, and will be done on a set schedule. One C182 handles pretty much like another.  Same goes for a C172.....just sayn'  :angel:

PHall

Quote from: FW on July 14, 2014, 02:39:51 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 14, 2014, 02:17:38 AM

Funny, however it may not be practical in some wings.  Even though it may cost more, getting current at the local FBO is more convienient, less of a hassle, and will be done on a set schedule. One C182 handles pretty much like another.  Same goes for a C172.....just sayn'  :angel:

I was thinking about the CAP unique stuff like the COMM panel and such.
Middle of a Form 5 is probably not the time to be fumbling with the switchology.

SunDog

Might be a point for someone a bit less experienced. . .but there's not much unique about a CAP 172 airplane IRT to a Form 5. 

I did, in the distant past, take a Form 5 several times in a non-CAP 172/T-41, just becasue it was more convenient to do so.  We just scheduled it and did it, outside the CAP flight release system, hassle, etc.  There is nothing on the Form 5 that ties you to a CAP airframe - the IP checks the boxes and the aircraft type; I doubt anyone even looks at the tail number. . .

If she finds a CAP CFI who is also instructing somewhere else, she can do it all in one airplane - probably easier and cheaper if she's a 172-only pilot, of course.

NC Hokie

Thanks all for your opinions and advice.  The wing DO has given his blessing and she is on her way.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy