Salvagers attempt to raise WWII bomber

Started by Eclipse, June 28, 2014, 06:28:15 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Simplex

Interesting! I just learned recently that there were aircraft carriers on the Great Lakes. Thanks for the post.

JacobAnn

Cliff_Chambliss

Very interesting indeed.  Several years ago a group raised an F4U from the lakes with plans to restore it.  The Navy filed a claim and took possession.  In court the decision was made that the aircraft was still government property and therefore belonged to the Navy.  Last I heard it was in the restoration shops at Pensacola.

Side Note:  The Southern Museum of Flight in Birmingham, Al. a couple years ago raised a B-25B (maybe it was a B-25C) from a lake in South Carolina.  Over 50 years in fresh water does terrible things to an aircraft.  The nose section of the plane is now on display in the museum and I am not sure of the condition/plans fro the remainder.   Looking at the photos of the SBD I can't help but feel they could possibly buy a currently flying example for less than what they are going to have to spend rasing and restoring this one (and possibly having to fight the Navy in court).
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

sarmed1

I remember reading somewhere when it comes to aircraft crashes unlike the army/airforce the navy chooses to retain ownership of the wreckage,even if they don't plan to recover it.  I am sure this is based on the theory of extension of policy  of protecting sunken vessels both from salvage (looting) and the general concept of interned remains reverence.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

lordmonar

Quote from: sarmed1 on June 30, 2014, 04:22:35 PM
I remember reading somewhere when it comes to aircraft crashes unlike the army/airforce the navy chooses to retain ownership of the wreckage,even if they don't plan to recover it.  I am sure this is based on the theory of extension of policy  of protecting sunken vessels both from salvage (looting) and the general concept of interned remains reverence.

MK
Under international salvage laws....military ships remain the property of the owning country.
It was one of the reasons why Spain got a big chunk of the Atocha Salvage off Florida.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Private Investigator

I always thought; "to the victor belong the spoils'!

Like at the end of Indiana Jones we got the Holy Grail and put it in the Rock Island Armory  8)

PHall

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 01, 2014, 05:22:25 PM

Tell that to the museums that are being forced to return items that had been looted from other countries.

MisterCD

Quote from: CapCapt on June 29, 2014, 05:45:43 PM
Interesting! I just learned recently that there were aircraft carriers on the Great Lakes. Thanks for the post.

There is also a German U-boat from World War I in there: http://www.atrecovery.com/Pages/GermanUBoat.htm

Private Investigator

Quote from: PHall on July 01, 2014, 06:47:38 PM

Tell that to the museums that are being forced to return items that had been looted from other countries.

What about "War Brides"   ;)

PHall

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 02, 2014, 07:47:56 PM

Perhaps you missed the word LOOTED.

Private Investigator

Quote from: PHall on July 03, 2014, 02:12:46 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on July 02, 2014, 07:47:56 PM

Perhaps you missed the word LOOTED.

I think the word I was looking for was DIVORCE   8)