Main Menu

Specialty Track

Started by Flying Pig, April 08, 2007, 09:27:07 PM

Flying Pig

Is there a Specialty Track Badge for Flight Ops Officer or does it fall under the ES badge?

Psicorp

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

DNall

That pamphlet is from 1985. It doesn't mention badges cause there were none for the spec tracks back then. Just ES/Comm/Safety. Maybe AE, I don't know when that came in.

There is no badge for the flt ops track, but it relates more to the ops track than the ES track. You can concurrently do the ops & flt ops tracks & wear the ops badge. Best I can tell ya.

stillamarine

Was I mistaken in my reading somewhere that pretty much the only way to do the Ops track is if you are a pilot?
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Psicorp

Quote from: stillamarine on April 09, 2007, 01:01:08 AM
Was I mistaken in my reading somewhere that pretty much the only way to do the Ops track is if you are a pilot?

If I recall correctly, you can do it so long as you're aircrew - Mission Observer or Mission Pilot.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

DNall

^That's for AOBD. The tracks for Ops or Flight ops don't say anything about pilot or observer, but some other stuff does say pilot. I honestly don't know on that.

SarDragon

OK, folks, are we talking ES or PD here? The requirements and governing regs are different. This thread started out in the PD arena. Let's get it back there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DNall

Some confusion, but yes talking PD. The circa 1985 track guides don't seem to say pilot is a requirement for rating in ops or flight ops, but som eother sources, such as the PD tracking file posted up here recently, do say pilot is a prereq. I've heard that elsewhere as well, and I don't know the answer.

stillamarine

Sardragon,

I was asking about the PD track.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

arajca

Flight Operations Officer CAPP 210:
Quote from: CAPP 210, Technician Rating, para 3, sub a(1) Must meet the minimum requirements of a CAP pilot as described in CAPR 60-1

Operations Officer, CAPP 211:
Quote from: CAPP 211, Technician Rating, para 3, sub b.(4) Complete technician rating requirements for Flight Operations, CAPP 210 and Standardization/Evaluation, CAPP 212.

So, a pilot rating is required for Flight Ops and Ops Officer ratings.

stillamarine

Thats what i was afraid of, well guess I'll have to think of a different specialty track

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

bosshawk

Would suggest that you pursue the ES track, since your interest obviously lies in the flight area.  I think that you mentioned once before that you wanted to get a pilots license.  Become a MS or MO and go that route before you take your flight instruction: much easier and cheaper than doing flight instruction right now.

I have never pursued the Flight Ops track, although I am a 3000 hour pilot and am an AOBD.  I just simply never bothered: ES was fine with me.  Actually, the ES track is broader and more useful than simply the flight option.

If you are looking for badges, observer or pilots wings are much more satisfying to wear than an ES badge, although occasionally I do wear the ES badge.  That said, I seldom wear any uniform outside the Hated Polo Shirt and a flight suit.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

DNall

I'd encourage you to go with the ES track as well. It's much more satisfying IMO.

As far as pilots license & MS/MO... gas prices are killer now, but any exposure you get to pilot duties will make that much better as an MS/MO. If I could suggest. Private pilot ground school isn't very expensive. Between that & getting up in the plane as an observer, a few lessons when you can fit them into the budget, when you are actually able to save up/buckle down & do it, you'll have a big head start.

Psicorp

Quote from: DNall on April 09, 2007, 08:13:03 PM
I'd encourage you to go with the ES track as well. It's much more satisfying IMO.

As far as pilots license & MS/MO... gas prices are killer now, but any exposure you get to pilot duties will make that much better as an MS/MO. If I could suggest. Private pilot ground school isn't very expensive. Between that & getting up in the plane as an observer, a few lessons when you can fit them into the budget, when you are actually able to save up/buckle down & do it, you'll have a big head start.

That's exactly the route I'm going to be taking here before too long.  I checked with my local Community College (which does have an aviation program) and it's approx $300 for the full ground school.   
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257