Firearms on Ground Teams

Started by blackrain, May 06, 2014, 12:43:52 AM

LSThiker

Quote from: SunDog on May 11, 2014, 12:56:15 AM
And the newer Sidewinders will lock onto a bad sunburn; or the heat generated by the friction of airflow.  Was shocked not too many years ago to encounter a Marine Cobra with a load-out that included Sidewinders. . .last chance to cover the infantry if a bad guy fast mover got through; or if the Harriers were broke again.

The Apache was tested in 1987 using AIM-9 Sidewinders, but it was canceled in favor of the AIM-92 Stinger.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz/ah64/pics/ah105.jpg

SarDragon

Quote from: SunDog on May 11, 2014, 12:56:15 AM

I may be wrong - fuzzy memory?  But I think a Sidewinder prototype was fired from a Cessna at China Lake, back in the day - even before my time.  I can't remember the weight anymore, and I would be remembering a later model, anyway, but I think 200 pounds or less is ball park. . . how much does a Hellfire weigh?

And the newer Sidewinders will lock onto a bad sunburn; or the heat generated by the friction of airflow.  Was shocked not too many years ago to encounter a Marine Cobra with a load-out that included Sidewinders. . .last chance to cover the infantry if a bad guy fast mover got through; or if the Harriers were broke again.

A Sidewinder plus launcher weighs about 300 pounds.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

blackrain

Somehow 100lbs is the number I remember for the Hellfire...though I think that's just the missile without the hardware....I do know the Iraqi's had them mounted on Cessna 208s......love watching the Hellfire video's
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

lordmonar

100-108 Lbs depending on the model.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

That's just the missile. The launcher is another 150 lb.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

So this degenerated quickly...from carrying guns on a ground team to arming our C182s with Hellfire missiles. Can we paint them ABU-style? (just to get this thing where it is eventually headed)
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on May 11, 2014, 10:30:12 PM
That's just the missile. The launcher is another 150 lb.
No...the launcher is just a rail...at least for the MQ-1....maybe 10-20 Lbs if that much.  The quad rail for the MQ-9 is a lot heavier...as that is a full on Jettisonable hard point.

blackrain

Oh I know the thread took a sharp left turn at Albuquerque. 

But what the heck......but if we discuss ABU (or Multi Cam) clad Forward Air Controllers embedded with ground teams and prepared to call in support from artillery and Hellfires to mitigate threats to cadet safety then we're right back on track.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

lordmonar

Quote from: blackrain on May 12, 2014, 03:00:30 AM
Oh I know the thread took a sharp left turn at Albuquerque. 

But what the heck......but if we discuss ABU (or Multi Cam) clad Forward Air Controllers embedded with ground teams and prepared to call in support from artillery and Hellfires to mitigate threats to cadet safety then we're right back on track.
The SQTR for JTAC has already been written.  :)   We have a whole training course on "how to sound like a JTAC without going to the field in 3 easy lessons" for the Green Flag Mission. 

So.....way ahead of you!  :)

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on May 12, 2014, 05:05:43 AM
The SQTR for JTAC has already been written.  :)   We have a whole training course on "how to sound like a JTAC without going to the field in 3 easy lessons" for the Green Flag Mission. 

So.....way ahead of you!  :)

Do they get to wear a black beret too  >:D

Flying Pig

Quote from: LSThiker on May 12, 2014, 02:01:07 PM
Do they get to wear a black beret too  >:D

Why not?  Besides, Id bet you money that someone in CAP is wearing one as we speak, probably with their Afghan scarf and desert assault vest. 

Brit_in_CAP

:clap: :clap:

Nice link between threads....!

nomiddlemas

Quote from: blackrain on May 07, 2014, 10:55:36 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on May 06, 2014, 03:56:38 PM
Quote from: blackrain on May 06, 2014, 12:43:52 AM
2)I believe that the Second Amendment should be interpreted very broadly as far as gun rights. (No surprise to anyone here I'm sure) Yes we limit rights in this country but my view on those limits will be different from others.
Second Amendment is wholly inapplicable.

The Second Amendment, like the rest of the Bill of Rights, impact government interactions with citizens.  CAP is a private organization, and as such, has no obligation to respect your 2nd Amendment rights.  If you don't like the policies, you are not obligated to be a member.

Regardless of concealed carry laws, for example, if I don't want you carrying in my house, I have every right to tell you that, and you can either stow your weapon somewhere else, or get the hell off my property if you don't like my rules.

Is that your thought on all the Amendments to the Constitution as related to CAP? Or just the Second Amendment.

As far as CAP being private they sure have a pretty close relationship the US Government and they certainly use a LOT of US taxpayer money....Just a soon as they don't use taxpayer money then I'll agree it's private.

Totally agree on your house, your rules...same for mine
Cap is hand in hand with the government.  We also use alot of taxpayers money like stated above.  I think that the constitution applies to everyone.  Why would it not?

jeders

Quote from: nomiddlemas on May 12, 2014, 08:51:24 PM
Cap is hand in hand with the government.

We partner with the government, yes. We are not the government though.

Quote from: nomiddlemas on May 12, 2014, 08:51:24 PM
I think that the constitution applies to everyone.  Why would it not?

Yes and no. To put it VERY simply, the constitution is all about what the Government can do or has to do. The Bill of Rights is all about what the Government may not do to you. That's why the Government cannot tell what to say or not say, but still allows your parents to say, "say that word again and I'll smack you into next week." In other words, CAP is a private corporation and may tell anyone within it not to carry firearms without there being any 2nd Amendment argument.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

blackrain

I wonder how she felt about her ORM after it was all said and done. You just never know

I hope they find and prosecute the bear to the fullest extent of the law...though I'm sure a smart attorney will bring up the bears abusive childhood and psychological make-up preventing her understanding right from wrong.....Or maybe the bear will just invoke the "Castle Doctrine"...as she was likely in her place of residence......... >:D

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/20/alaska-woman-called-heroic-after-surviving-bear-attack-while-jogging/

Garibaldi

Quote from: blackrain on May 20, 2014, 08:04:07 PM
I wonder how she felt about her ORM after it was all said and done. You just never know

I hope they find and prosecute the bear to the fullest extent of the law...though I'm sure a smart attorney will bring up the bears abusive childhood and psychological make-up preventing her understanding right from wrong.....Or maybe the bear will just invoke the "Castle Doctrine"...as she was likely in her place of residence......... >:D

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/20/alaska-woman-called-heroic-after-surviving-bear-attack-while-jogging/

If some jackwagon can sue McDonald's for too-hot coffee, then I foresee this bear getting all sorts of media attention and a mini-series, as well as the lawsuit against the so-called victim. It's a seller's market now.

Or at least a South Park episode.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

LSThiker

Perhaps lacking.  I would be interested to find out how much time she had between spotting the bear and the bear attack.  I find it odd that FoxNews leaves out the fact that the base recommends carrying bear spray when out in the area.  Other news networks have reported on this.  Never mind, it is FoxNews.

From CNN:
Maj. Angela Webb, a spokeswoman for the Air Force, said the area is popular with runners and bicyclists, who are warned to bring bear spray.

But even the Air Force Times reports incorrect information as even conservation officers cannot get my question correct:

Quote from: AirForceTimesIf you are attacked by a bear — whether brown or black — the recommendation is the same: "You play dead," Sledge said.

For brown bears, you play dead.  They traditionally attack due to feeling threatened as in this case.  For black bears, you do not play dead.  You trying to make yourself look big and defend yourself.  Black bears usually attack because they are hungry.  Playing dead only makes it easier for them. 

Private Investigator

From the article; "Playing dead is the appropriate response when meeting a female bear protecting cubs."  8)

Eclipse

I like Starbucks and Chipotle too much to bring my shootin' eyerons to CAP or any other activities.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

^ exactly.

I like my frappuccino with a double shot of expresso, no pun intended.  8)