Main Menu

Ideal squadron size

Started by RiverAux, April 06, 2007, 07:26:43 PM

RiverAux

As I said, I'm for using cadets when available but I think its hard to argue that you need to be able to respond to missions during the daytime during the workweek in order to be a credible GSAR force (and I'm talking "real" SAR and not just ELT missions which don't need more than 2 people).  For that you need a large contingent of adults, a portion of whom would be able to get off work on any given day for a search and possibly for multiple days. 

Stonewall

Quote from: RiverAux on April 08, 2007, 02:27:30 AM
As I said, I'm for using cadets when available but I think its hard to argue that you need to be able to respond to missions during the daytime during the workweek in order to be a credible GSAR force (and I'm talking "real" SAR and not just ELT missions which don't need more than 2 people).  For that you need a large contingent of adults, a portion of whom would be able to get off work on any given day for a search and possibly for multiple days. 

Is CAP a "credible GSAR force"?  Are we certified and recognized as such?  Is there such a certification?  And since when do we not consider an ELT going a "real SAR mission"?  Every time you get called out, whether it be for a missing person or ELT, you have no clue if that ELT is distress or non-distress.  Now history tells us that most are non-distress, but could you imagine the fire department that took their time to get to a fire alarm because 80% of fire alarms are false?

I have never considered CAP to be a rapid deployment force, but we did have a squadron goal of having a ground team rolling within two hours at any given time.  That being said, I've never had a job where I could gaurantee my ability to leave work for a mission.  So regardless of cadets being available during daytime work hours, I'd say a majority of adults are equally unavailable during those hours.

I am all about representing CAP as a professional, but the truth is, I'm a professional Police Officer, not a professional Search and Rescue Technician.  Most people I knew up in DC (I don't know many of the seniors here just yet) were in the same boat.  On many occasions we'd get a call at 11:00 a.m. and not get underway until 15 or 16:00.

I'm not trying to take anything away from CAP.  The fact is we do save lives.  We work with several other agencies; federal, local and volunteer, to reach the common goal of saving lives.  I've never told anyone that "if you wanna do search and rescue, go join a volunteer SAR organization".  Thats not how I am.  But no different than the other non-paid SAR groups out there, we're volunteers and sometimes our availability is dependent upon family, jobs, other personal committments and for cadets, school.

The other thing to consider is that we're the only "SAR organization" that isn't primarily focused on SAR.  SAR, or Emergency Services, which is a broader field than just SAR, is only 1/3 of CAP's purpose.  Granted, many of us, me included, love that aspect of our mission and take it very seriously.

Just sayin'.  YMMV.
Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

QuoteIs CAP a "credible GSAR force"?  Are we certified and recognized as such?  Is there such a certification?

Generally not, but we should be.  And in many places we are the best available for better or worse. 

QuoteThat being said, I've never had a job where I could gaurantee my ability to leave work for a mission.
Exactly!!!  That is why I said you needed 15-30 gt-qualified adults to be assured of having enough of them available to put out a 5-10 person ground team at all times.  Everyone has an outside life and that is why CAP needs an incredible amount of redundancy in order to be counted on 100% AS A UNIT.

RogueLeader

I don't know about "ideal" size, but I would think that it all depends on the local need and interest.
As far as SAR respose time, we are training to where we can have several groud teams as well as numerous air crews, so then we would have an "alert" schedual, so that if anything happened, we know who would get the call, and be able to roll within an hour.  We aren't there yet, but we are working towards that goal of being a relable asset to the state.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

My [new] squadron already had an alert plan that changes every week.  I'm not a part of it yet, probably because the ES types (read: Seniors) don't know me since they meet on a different night.  But I get an email every so often with an updated "alert team" schedule.

Seems to be pretty effective since this squadron performs like thousands of missions a year it seems.  I was shocked to hear that "we" participated in more missions than most wings did last year.  You'd think they need a hand from a fully qualified ground pounder.  Time will tell, I'm still new.
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 07, 2007, 06:35:50 AM
Ok question: EXCLUDING SCHOOLS
What is the most largest active unit -Composite or Senior - and what wing are they in?
I ask because, I was just wondering how realistic some of these are.
- again school / all cadet-  units excluded.

When I left Langley Composite Squadron (VAWG) there were aproximately 90 members on the books, and 65 were active.  The membership was split about 50-50 cadet and seniors.

Having that many people especially if they are all new exept a few is a logistical nightmare.  Imagine having 20 cadets taking the curry exam on one night...not to mention the other 20 cadets testing.  Now get all those cadets through PT too...

It's challenging, but I'd say that a good solid group of cadets 15-20 is ideal, and about 10 seniors.  On the volunteer side, it becomes too difficult to manage a squadron that large unless you have a bunch of retirees that can devote 40 hrs a week to CAP. (no offense guys...)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill