Quick SM Uniform Question

Started by The14th, April 14, 2014, 09:33:41 PM

The14th

I've checked the 39-1, but figured I could get a quick answer on here to clarify. As a SM without grade, I don't wear any epaulets on my blue AF style shirts correct? Just CAP insignia on the collars?

The CyBorg is destroyed

No epaulets, CAP cutouts on the collars.  You are correct.  That goes for both the AF and aviator shirts.

I have seen new SM's wear the blank epaulets (for NCO's to pin their grade to), and while it looks good and I would be in favour of it being authorised, it is not authorised.

You'll get your butterbars soon enough. 8)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The14th

That was my main concern. I noticed those blank one's with just the CAP on them, but had thought we wear none. Just wanted to double check (I hate being out of regs and want to have everything right beforehand)

Thanks!

fokkerfrenzy

If memory serves, blank epaulets was something that was added to the new 39-1 that hasn't been released yet.  It seems like some people are jumping the gun.

vento

Quote from: CyBorg on April 14, 2014, 09:44:47 PM
No epaulets, CAP cutouts on the collars.  You are correct.  That goes for both the AF and aviator shirts.

I have seen new SM's wear the blank epaulets (for NCO's to pin their grade to), and while it looks good and I would be in favour of it being authorised, it is not authorised.

For the white aviator shirt, no epaulets and no CAP cutouts.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: vento on April 15, 2014, 12:00:29 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on April 14, 2014, 09:44:47 PM

For the white aviator shirt, no epaulets and no CAP cutouts.

Are you sure about the cutouts on the aviator shirt?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

That is correct no cutouts on the whites.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: fokkerfrenzy on April 14, 2014, 11:53:09 PM
If memory serves, blank epaulets was something that was added to the new 39-1 that hasn't been released yet.  It seems like some people are jumping the gun.

That's been going on for years, at least since I was a SMWOG almost 5 years ago.

Eclipse

They were originally and till intended for NCO pins, but never used.

Misinformed Commanders have been letting newbs wear them for years - it was one short-hand way, frankly
to tell when you had a command issue at a unit.  If you see a new member wearing blank epaulets, time
for a couple of conversations.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 15, 2014, 12:32:26 AM
That's been going on for years, at least since I was a SMWOG almost 5 years ago.

I made that mistake at the beginning as well, before I learned how to use 39-1. I was ordering my 1st round of insignia from VG and saw the blank slides and "Oh, that must be what I should wear". Was corrected the first time.

The14th

Quote from: Walkman on April 15, 2014, 01:13:58 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 15, 2014, 12:32:26 AM

I made that mistake at the beginning as well, before I learned how to use 39-1. I was ordering my 1st round of insignia from VG and saw the blank slides and "Oh, that must be what I should wear". Was corrected the first time.

I noticed them on there and was wondering, as well. But they say on the description something about being for SM NCOs, so that's why I double checked to make sure I didn't need to order those. I could do the NCO thing, but am working towards the Officer route.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Those blank slides were taking the cheap route out, especially since there were embroidered slides made for SNCO's.

I personally don't see the use for those blank slides at all, since the Air Force doesn't even have SNCO slides any more.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NIN

First time I saw those I said "oh,  for CAP NCOs. Of course! "

Then I saw some a buck SM wearing 'em and said "ok,  what unit is that guy from?  Someone needs a boot to the head!"

"Step away from the vanguard website! "
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

The14th

One more quick question. Do SMs with no grade wear the NCO or Officer style flight cap?

Garibaldi

Quote from: The14th on April 16, 2014, 08:52:29 PM
One more quick question. Do SMs with no grade wear the NCO or Officer style flight cap?
Most say the NCO flight cap, the one with the dark blue braid on it. You don't get the officer cap until you promote to 2nd Lt.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

NIN

IIRC that changes with the new 39-1 to help keep costs down
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

BHartman007

I saw at least one guy wearing the blank slides at wing conference last month. I wanted to say something, but I didn't.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

RogueLeader

Quote from: BHartman007 on May 15, 2014, 01:22:44 AM
I saw at least one guy wearing the blank slides at wing conference last month. I wanted to say something, but I didn't.

I'm sure some units are already transitioning to the new CAPM 39-1, to where that would be correct.  I know that it's not official yet, but it is a cost saving measure against a mid-grade change. . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

How is getting a currently not required item a cost saving measure? More like they've been doing it wrong for 10+years.

lordmonar

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 15, 2014, 03:19:09 AM
How is getting a currently not required item a cost saving measure? More like they've been doing it wrong for 10+years.
+1
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP