One uniform at a time (for cadets)

Started by Stonewall, April 05, 2007, 04:56:17 PM

Stonewall

When you have new cadets join your squadron, what is the process by which you get them or have them get uniforms?

Do you give them the link to Vangaurd and say "have at it"?

Do you scrounge around and try to get them surplus uniforms?

Do you tell them to get one uniform over the other, first.  i.e. BDUs before blues?

When they get part of a uniform, do you let them wear it to the meetings?

I'm at a new squadron/wing and am reminded as to why I've always given strict guidance on the acquisition of uniforms.  First, while in T-Flight, we give them a "civilian uniform" to wear.  Black t-shirts and blue jeans, with the shirt tucked in and secured by a belt.  They wear this up until about the 6th week of T-Flight.

During those 6 weeks, we identfity which uniform is the best one to get first.  9 times out of 10 we go with the BDUs.  We do a bulk order for all new cadets for nametapes, CAP tags, CAP cutouts, rank, and wing patches.  That way they get them all at the same time.  Then, we see if we have any servicable uniforms in our own supply system which usually isn't the case.  Then, we go to an AAFES unfirom shop to purchase BDUs.  While there, we make it a unit event.  I would drive the van and have the T-Flight Commander or Sergeant go with to "be in charge".  Parents are welcome to come since its their money being spent.  We make sure they get the right BDUs (no mixing of winter tops and summer bottoms).  We make sure they get a boot that allows for growth, and we make sure they get a BDU cap instead of a beret.

Next is the "care of the uniform" class.  We bring in ironing boards and kiwi shoe polish.  The whole night is spent ironing the uniforms, measuring rank, and shining boots.  None of this "here's yer dern uniform, now make it look purty".

The week prior to graduation, a full-blown uniform inspection is conducted.  We check out their nametapes to ensure they're folded under and not cut at the ends.  Make sure the wing patch (if worn) is 1/2" from the seem.  Inspect the boots, make sure they've got a glare and the pants are bloused properly.  If its summer, we demonstrate the proper roll of the sleeve with the BDUs.

When they graduate T-Flight they have ONE perfect uniform.  Then we make the requirement that by their second stripe (A1C) they have to acquire a complete second uniform.  In most cases, they'd get BDUs first, then blues.

So, how do you do it?
Serving since 1987.

Pylon

Nice system.  I think each squadron definitely finds what works best for them, their curriculum and membership demographics.

Our squadron works a bit differently, but I find the system works quite well for us.

A new cadet decides he or she wants to join.  When they've finished with the visiting and are at the point of filling out the CAPF 15, a SM of appropriate gender assists in "taping" them for sizes for the FCU chit on the Form 15.

Somebody then takes the cadet to our supply building, where the cadet is issued a full set of blues and BDUs.  Cadets are almost always issued:

• short and long sleeve blues shirts,
  • blue pants (and skirts if female and they want them),
  • BDU top and bottom,
  • and an M-65 field jacket
The nicer items, like field jackets are indelibly marked on the inside with serial numbers so we can keep track.    We have the following also on hand to issue, but we don't have the full range of sizes and quantities like we have with the other uniforms - so we only issue them when we have their size:

• dress shoes,
  • combat boots,
  • new-style service coat,
  • lightweight blues jacket,
  • BDU cover,
  • occassionally a blues tie and/or tab as appropriate,
  • and blues cover.
But sometimes sizes are spotty (for example, we seem to have an abundance of big sized footwear, but nothing in the smaller sizes).  We also have a small supply of maternity items (blues, stetchy BDU pants, etc.), which I'm not sure we'll ever need. 

We record everything the cadet is issued on an internal form and file it in their personnel file.   We have cutouts and a few generic cadet nameplates on hand (last name reads as "CADET") so we can get them in a complete (blues) uniform generally after the first night they've joined (something that wasn't possible before the Wing patches were eliminated).  :)

Also, to save them the confusion of getting online to trying to order just the right stuff, they can cut us a check or money order for $35.  With that, we are able to order them:  BDU and Blues belts, flight cap "cookie", blues nameplate, BDU namestrips and branch tapes, a one ribbon holder and Curry ribbon (anticipatory), two reversed flags, cutouts, and a new BDU hat.   We usually get that squared away for them in the first month.

Once their FCU arrives, they end up with an extra blues belt.  We tell them to keep one pristine, and one for regular wear.   They can turn in the short sleeve blues shirt and pants once their FCU arrives.

So there you have it.  This post turned out longer than I expected.  I'm interested to hear how more squadrons take care of this!

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major Carrales

Honestly...and this is what I am doing right now.

When the new cadet's name appears at national, I begin collecting them minimum service dress.  Either from our limited squadron stockpiles, or from our Group Commander who has a warehouse of uniforms...or, I buy/trade/plead/beg them myself.  I consider it an investment in the formation of a new unit.

They are on their own for shoes.

The next step is to find them a long sleeve shirt and a tie.  Thsi is done while having placed an order to National for the FREE UNIFORM PROGRAM.  Once their uniform comes in I collect the squadron given ones for reissue...or allow them to continue to have it for local use.

Then we try for the field uniforms.

I'm willing to wait and build it up correctly.

Major Carrales
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: Pylon on April 05, 2007, 05:12:13 PM

Our squadron works a bit differently, but I find the system works quite well for us.

Thank you, this is gold!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454