Red Service Ribbon

Started by taylor914, March 26, 2014, 03:08:50 PM

Storm Chaser

You know, it's just a ribbon. And it means less when all you have to do to "earn" it is pay your dues.

SarDragon

Well, I think it counts for something when a single parent with three pre-school children, living from paycheck to paycheck, can fork over the annual dues, just to maintain some continuity in the organization. Time to participate simply did not exist.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 27, 2014, 07:47:26 PM
Yes, I would transfer them. rather than have them vegetating without advancing their cadet careers. Saying "I love my squadron, while 2000 miles away doesn't do anything for anybody.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. At least I found a squadron that would keep me active even while I was stationed out in Kwajalein. I reciprocated by giving a presentation on Kwajalein to the squadron when I was on home leave. And I still managed to get to go to NSC in 2011.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on March 28, 2014, 12:52:24 AM
Well, I think it counts for something when a single parent with three pre-school children, living from paycheck to paycheck, can fork over the annual dues, just to maintain some continuity in the organization. Time to participate simply did not exist.

I agree 100%.  :clap:

Private Investigator

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on March 28, 2014, 10:29:19 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on March 27, 2014, 07:47:26 PM
Yes, I would transfer them. rather than have them vegetating without advancing their cadet careers. Saying "I love my squadron, while 2000 miles away doesn't do anything for anybody.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. At least I found a squadron that would keep me active even while I was stationed out in Kwajalein. I reciprocated by giving a presentation on Kwajalein to the squadron when I was on home leave. And I still managed to get to go to NSC in 2011.

Chuck, that was a Squadron that thinks outside the box. Also a very good example.

Some people are heartless of course. Like recovering from heart attack, stroke or a serious accident and they want to transfer the member's status to Patron or to "000". So they can show 100% safety participation every month. I have visited a lot of members in convalescence homes during their illnesses. I appreciated their service to CAP.  8)

a2capt

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 28, 2014, 04:13:52 PMSo they can show 100% safety participation every month.
That it's come to this crap alone is a sure sign that things are broken. That some of us have the Wing CC sending out monthly emails encouraging competition and harping on groups, units, etc., that are not 100% ..

Things that are out of their control. Safety currency is an individual member level problem.

Storm Chaser

How can anyone feel good for getting an award for virtually doing nothing, except for paying dues? I believe this ribbon should reward active service, participation and/or contribution. There are many way to actively contribute to the organization, so I'm not sure why anyone would be opposed to the idea.

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 28, 2014, 08:11:53 PM
How can anyone feel good for getting an award for virtually doing nothing,

Agreed, but I have long since stopped being amazed at what people will do, or take credit for, just to add some plumage.
This is especially an issue, though understandable, with cadets, but far too prevalent in adults as well.

Lost on many of our members as well as leaders is the fact that the only thing more frustrating and disincentivizing then
not rewarding people for a job well done, is rewarding them for doing nothing.

except for paying dues? I believe this ribbon should reward active service, participation and/or contribution. There are many way to actively contribute to the organization, so I'm not sure why anyone would be opposed to the idea.

I agree with this as well, but until NHQ actually defines "active", it's left up to our esteemed CCs to decide, and experience shows
that a majority of these esteemed officer don't like to make people sad, or for that matter even assert expectations of participation and
performance.

"That Others May Zoom"

SunDog

I think I'm almost ribbon-free; my CC may have done the paper work for a "find"  10-12 years back. That would be it for me.  I guess I could figure out how to look it up, but pretty certain I don't have a RSR. We could all go ribbon-less for a year, in protest of lame criteria, maybe?

Not so fun for those who wear combos that include ribbons, of course. Lot easier for us polo, BDU, flight suit, blazer types.

Deck chairs, Titanic kind of thing - symptom, maybe?

Private Investigator

How can anyone feel good for getting an award for virtually doing nothing, except for paying dues?

Well along that line of thinking why promote anyone higher than Captain if they have not served as a Commander for four years minimum?

An Assistant Squadron Supply Officer could make Lt Col in ten years by taking a week to go to RSC and really not know anything outside of Petticoat Junction Squadron.  8)

GroundHawg

Does anyone have a good examples of certificates for awards that do not have them? Examples: Red Service, Model Rocketry, Find, SAR, GT Badge, etc..

I might want to push this up the chain at my local squadron and would like some examples. I think this would add to the presentation of awards quite a bit. 

Ed Bos

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 31, 2014, 09:23:03 PM
How can anyone feel good for getting an award for virtually doing nothing, except for paying dues?

Well along that line of thinking why promote anyone higher than Captain if they have not served as a Commander for four years minimum?

An Assistant Squadron Supply Officer could make Lt Col in ten years by taking a week to go to RSC and really not know anything outside of Petticoat Junction Squadron.  8)

Except they'll have had to attend conferences, SLS, & CLC, getting some networking and higher HQ perspective. They'll also have had to staff or lead activities outside of their unit, not to mention mentor a junior officer through Technician in a Specialty Track.

I think if the meet the requirements in Petticoat Junction Squadron, they'll have met the same requirements for Lt Col as the commander of CAWG Ginormous Group 75.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Private Investigator

Quote from: Ed Bos on March 31, 2014, 10:52:53 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on March 31, 2014, 09:23:03 PM

Except they'll have had to attend conferences, SLS, & CLC, getting some networking and higher HQ perspective. They'll also have had to staff or lead activities outside of their unit, not to mention mentor a junior officer through Technician in a Specialty Track.

I think if the meet the requirements in Petticoat Junction Squadron, they'll have met the same requirements for Lt Col as the commander of CAWG Ginormous Group 75.

Ed, we both know some people are great at "pencil whipping" stuff. When I was IG I was inspecting a Unit's Comm and the the Comm Officer was Master rated in Comm and he never took any Comm tests. He might be a great HAM but he did not know CAP Communications.   8)