Wright Brothers Award (LDSHP Test)

Started by SPeterson, February 25, 2014, 11:07:49 PM

SPeterson

Well I'm taking the test tonight, and was wondering what sort of questions are on it(NO Answers, just type of questions)Been studying since last promotion, and only one Cadet from my squadron passed the first time... I know, very encouraging...
C/SSgt Peterson|GCS Ga-160|Shiniest Boots There!
------------------------------------------------

a2capt

There's 30 questions. They range from anything in your first three chapters.  It's not like any of the last three you've taken. After you pass that portion, you will be tested on 20 steps of drill.  The combined score from all of it is pass/fail, however you must pass the written portion alone with 80% of 30 questions, then it becomes 80% of 50, or max 10 wrong.

Another way to look at it is no more than six wrong on the written, and no more more than 10 total wrong, when written plus drill are combined.

Many, many cadets get a rude awakening from this one.

..and then understand what the next milestone will be like, and study appropriately.

Cadetter

We have a cadet who is having some trouble passing the test but doesn't want to be mentored. Any suggestions? This cadet is a very bright cadet in most areas.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

a2capt

Remembering phrases and passages does not work with this one.

You need to understand what you are reading, they ask it from a different angle.

Cadetter

Agreed. I studied hard for mine and passed with a perfect score. I saw 6 or 7 questions out of the 25 with have answers that can easily be mistaken with unclear understanding of the material. (Of course all questions can be said to.) This cadet appears to understand the material though, in many different angles, but just can't pass the test. What ways would you suggest for studying?
Earhart Award, 2018

Garibaldi

Unless he has a documented learning disability, the only thing he can do, or you can do for him, is to just let him keep plugging away until he passes. It really is on him, since he is refusing help. You could make him understand that it in his best interest to accept help, since he just isn't quite getting it.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SilentPhantom

Study the review tests from L2L Chapters 1-3 and AFMAN 36-2203. Good luck!
C/2dLt

Cadetter

Quote from: Garibaldi on June 05, 2014, 04:27:15 PM
Unless he has a documented learning disability, the only thing he can do, or you can do for him, is to just let him keep plugging away until he passes. It really is on him, since he is refusing help. You could make him understand that it in his best interest to accept help, since he just isn't quite getting it.

One reason the cadet is refusing help is because those offering help aren't as solid as necessary on the material, despite passing the test. The cadet has taken it twice so far.

Quote from: SilentPhantom on June 05, 2014, 04:42:33 PM
Study the review tests from L2L Chapters 1-3 and AFMAN 36-2203. Good luck!

The cadet has done this. Also can answer every objective closed-book.
Earhart Award, 2018

a2capt

Read. The. Test. Questions. Slowly.

The testing officer can give the section numbers of the weak areas. 

Think about what they are asking. You're right. Many of them do practically scream the wrong answer at you.. 

Cadetter

I finished my WB test in 15 minutes =P

He's apparently missed half or so of the problems on the test once, between both his attempts, but he has told me there's four particular ones he can't even guess an answer for.

When I was taking it, I had to read every question and ask myself where in the book the approximate answer, not the "obvious" answer, was.

Edited to add: He is not the most motivated cadet, which is unfortunate for my squadron due to his competence.
Earhart Award, 2018

Майор Хаткевич

And I finished the Olde 100 question Mitchell in 9 minutes 42 seconds, and both 50/50 Earhart tests in 15 with filling out the title blocks and all. First try on each. Everyone is different. Some do well on multiple choice, others don't.

Cadetter

Yeah, I tend to do well on multiple choice tests. Passing them easily w/little studying doesn't help me be prepared to mentor someone else on them (not on the test, on the material). Other than offering to help and giving limited studying tips (I remember most the questions on the WB, but can't say "look here" obviously), I'm running into a wall.
Earhart Award, 2018

a2capt

Without motivation .. there is a lot less you can do.

But I will say .. the test is not impossible. But don't go beating the drum that you did it in 15 minutes as a reason why they can pass, too.

Everyone is different.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on June 05, 2014, 05:55:51 PM...there's four particular ones he can't even guess an answer for.

Then this is where you start - discuss the questions and bring him to the proper answers.

Then move out from there.

If his "mentor" isn't properly skilled, assign a new one - it doesn't even have to be someone from your
unit - go on that FaceThingie or TwitChat or whatever it's called this week and ask for help.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

Quote from: a2capt on June 05, 2014, 10:39:35 PM
Without motivation .. there is a lot less you can do.

But I will say .. the test is not impossible. But don't go beating the drum that you did it in 15 minutes as a reason why they can pass, too.

Everyone is different.

Yes... he's taking it again soon. And of course I don't brag that. I was merely responding to your read the test questions slowly.

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2014, 11:25:20 PM
Quote from: Cadetter on June 05, 2014, 05:55:51 PM...there's four particular ones he can't even guess an answer for.

Then this is where you start - discuss the questions and bring him to the proper answers.

Then move out from there.

If his "mentor" isn't properly skilled, assign a new one - it doesn't even have to be someone from your
unit - go on that FaceThingie or TwitChat or whatever it's called this week and ask for help.

Isn't that test compromise, to discuss the test questions?

He doesn't want a mentor.

Another cadet recently took and failed it too, who didn't miss the passing score by as much though.
Earhart Award, 2018

Cadetter

Well, he took it a 3rd time, and didn't pass. He remarked that he should be able to pass it next time, by process of elimination of the answers... not that he wants to do it that way though :(

edited to fix English
Earhart Award, 2018

a2capt

If he can remember all the answers he didn't use already.. he shouldn't have had any problem with comprehending the text in the first place ;-)

Not every test in life, do you get 4 shots at taking..

Cadetter

He has selective photographic memory I guess... only of the test, not the text.  :o

Yeah... some only 3 times... and I will not fail my Spaatz 3 times. And most tests there's only one shot...

And he did mention he tends to do poorly at multiple choice tests.

Edited to add a line and delete a sentence fragment
Earhart Award, 2018