Solo Pilot knowledge practice test

Started by nomiddlemas, February 21, 2014, 10:53:09 PM

nomiddlemas

Does anyone know where I can find a Solo license pilot knowledge test? I am still in classes but I want to be ready the day it comes.  Also does anyone have any tips before I would take the solo knowledge test?

vento

I don't believe (I could be wrong) there is an official knowledge test, it is really up to the CFI. Here's a good resource for you to take a look.
https://www.aopa.org/-/media/Files/AOPA/Home/Pilot%20Resources/ASI/Safety%20Advisors/sa04.pdf

Al Sayre

The is no FAA written test forsolo pilot.  the CFI Just signs the back of your student pilot certificate and endorses your logbook.  That said, your CFI may want to give you a writen test he has made up to ensure you understand important concepts like fuel burn and stall speeds etc.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

HGjunkie

If you can get it, Jeppesen makes a pre-solo test which covers basic airport procedures and technical knowledge of airplanes.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

nomiddlemas

TEJ823

Take a quick look at FAR 61.87 (b).  The regulation talks about the knowledge requirements prior to solo.  Each instructor tailors the pre-solo written to the general airport area and airplane to be used.  Most everything is information you have learned during the pre-solo ground and flight training.
====
CAP-SQ/CC, MP,MS, (FASC / AOBD - in training)
JOB-Corp Pilot, ATP/CFII

Flying Pig

What are you flying?  Solo pilot exams are usually made up in-house.  I have a couple I've used in the past.  Most were geared towards forcing you to dig into the POH

Other than that just do practice private exams.

nomiddlemas

We are flying a Cessna 172 sp.  Thanks for the advice. 

nomiddlemas

Well good news.  I passed the knowledge test with an 86.  I am now in need of a medical 3rd class.  I know who to get in contact with but what will I be expected to do there?

Huey Driver

Quote from: nomiddlemas on March 17, 2014, 09:32:09 PM
Well good news.  I passed the knowledge test with an 86.  I am now in need of a medical 3rd class.  I know who to get in contact with but what will I be expected to do there?

You first need to fill out an FAA form online and get a confirmation number. The doctor will need it at your appointment. Other than that, it's just a basic check up at the doctor's. If you want to see the requirements, you can find them online. If you have a special medical case (glasses, contacts, color-blindness), it will be noted and the medical will state your limitations.

Assuming you're a powered flight student, it will also double as your student pilot license.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

SarDragon

An added note - if you have ANY cardiac issues, you should get a consultation with the AME prior to the actual physical to discuss these issues. There's a cardiac workup that needs to be done, and having the results available at the physical is essential.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vento

What JerseyCadet said.
Here's the website you need to visit.
https://medxpress.faa.gov/

Request an account if you don't have one. Form 8500-8 must be done online. Paper form are no longer valid in most cases (places). Google for form 8500-8 if you want to see what is being asked.

nomiddlemas

Thanks guys.  I have my driving permit so vision is not a problem.  Also I have no cardiac problems so this should be a normal check up I think? Thanks for all the help guys :clap:

nomiddlemas

Once I get my solo flight out of the way and once I can fly by myself, what plane do you use to fly? Do you use the local flight schools or the CAP planes?