Main Menu

BoG vacancy

Started by RiverAux, April 01, 2007, 01:12:55 AM

RiverAux

QuoteVacancy announced in at-large position on CAP Board of Governors

Applications sought as 4-year post becomes open Aug. 24, Pineda notes
March 30, 2007

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS -- One of two four-year, at-large positions on Civil Air Patrol's 11-member Board of Governors will become vacant Aug. 24, Gen. Antonio J. Pineda, national commander, announced March 30.

The at-large positions account for two of the four board positions occupied by CAP members, with the other two positions occupied by the national commander and national vice commander. Of the remaining seven members, four are appointed by the secretary of the Air Force and the other three are appointed jointly by the secretary of the Air Force and the national commander.

To be eligible to serve on the board, a CAP member must:

be a senior member in good standing.
hold a CAP grade of major or above.
have earned the Paul E. Garber Award (given to senior members who complete Level IV of the Senior Member Training Program).
have been a CAP member for at least five years.

Senior members may nominate themselves. CAP corporate officers may apply, but if selected, must resign as a corporate officer before accepting the board position.

Interested members should submit a letter requesting consideration with an attached CAP resume (other qualifications that have a direct relationship to CAP may be included). Requests must be postmarked no later than May 1 and sent to the National Executive Committee through HQ CAP/DP to:

HQ CAP/DP
Attn: BOG Nominations
105 South Hansell Street
Maxwell AFB AL 36112-6332

The National Executive Committee will review all requests for consideration.

Additional information or assistance may be obtained from Susan P. Parker by telephone at (877) 227-9142, ext. 212, by fax at (334) 953-4262 or by e-mail at sparker@capnhq.gov.

Okay, here is your chance to fix some problems....

JohnKachenmeister

My letter of self-nomination may well be the first to arrive.

(But I doubt it.)
Another former CAP officer

DNall

Hey I'd second that motion, a little balance & fortitude is just what this org needs. I bet some of these reviews are pretty dang funny, and I bet they don't happen in public view.

NEBoom

Holy Moley, I'm qualified!
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

bosshawk

then, what are you waiting for?  The black van with the blanked out windows to pull up to your house?

I don't believe that I am qualified: 30 years in the Army, retired Colonel, Company Commander in the Army, instructor at the Army Intel School,  staff officer in the Pentagon, Army Command and General Staff College, Air War College, Masters Degree, Sq CC twice in CAP, Wing Staff, MPS, MS, Msn Check Pilot, but no level three or four.

Dang.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: bosshawk on April 02, 2007, 04:53:43 AM
then, what are you waiting for?  The black van with the blanked out windows to pull up to your house?

I don't believe that I am qualified: 30 years in the Army, retired Colonel, Company Commander in the Army, instructor at the Army Intel School,  staff officer in the Pentagon, Army Command and General Staff College, Air War College, Masters Degree, Sq CC twice in CAP, Wing Staff, MPS, MS, Msn Check Pilot, but no level three or four.

Dang.

With respect Col. But how can you have all that and NOT level 3 or 4?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DNall

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 02, 2007, 05:15:55 AM
Well just guessing here, but most of the stuff he listed was outside CAP or related to outside flight experience. He could be only a couple years in the org & still have all that. On the other hand, he could have been in CAP for 30 years & why bother with the PD program. I mean you can't get promoted past LtCol from it & he's already got that covered from mil grade, and the intrensic value of doing the PME for instance is pretty well covered already. I'm sure he's already got an impressive stack of ribbons without needing any help from CAP. So what's the point when time is at a premium? I mean granted he could sit down with a good PD officer &  cross over enough credit to cover most of the requirements, but it doesn't sound like that's been a high priority so far.

Major Carrales

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 02, 2007, 05:15:55 AM

Dang.

The Lt Col, aka Bosshawk, is the real deal all the way around.  Plus, he is an honorable man who has extended his knowledge/expertise well beyond his Wing.  I don't think he is to be made to answer to us about his professional development in CAP...he is obviously of the "been there done that" school.  I respect that...without disclaimers and with all sincerity.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

He wasn't quizzing him on it or anything, just curious. Takes a second sometimes for people to think outside the box of their own CAP experience. No big deal.

Major_Chuck

I self nominated myself a few years ago but lost out to Rick Bowling.  This was right after his term as National Commander ended.

In my opinion it is all ready determined who they want on the BoG.  Just a mere formality to let the peons in CAP throw their hats in the ring.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

BillB

You can almost place a winning bet the vacancy will be filled by a former Region/Wing commander, or a previous corporate officer of some type. They need to put up a sign:

LtCol and below need not apply
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

LtCol White

Dang.

Clearly, you are not qualified...... ::)
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

JohnKachenmeister

Didn't attend enough conferences, right?

LtCol White

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 02, 2007, 02:56:30 PM
Didn't attend enough conferences, right?

He doesn't indicate that he has his CAP SR Member Certificate of Proficiency!!!
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

bosshawk

Just to try to set the record straight(I know, it won't work with this crew), I have done CLC, SLS, Unit CC Course, have been to more Wing Conferences than I like to admit, have instructed at CLC and SLS, have two distress finds and who knows how many non-distress finds.  I just never found it a priority to pursue the various levels: still don't find that very much of a priority for me.  I am quite secure in my abilities and accomplishments and don't feel like spending time to justify them to others.

As someone pointed out, ribbons are not much of a priority to me: been there and done that to my satisfaction.  If you want a listing of my decorations, I can PM them if you ask and they are important to you.  I never wear my ribbons, CAP or military.

My priority is, and always has been, to be of service to my country and to my fellow Americans.  30 years in the Army, a civilian career at the CIA and now 15 years in CAP pretty well summarize my life since college and grad school.

Hope that this settles the issues raised.  I have no ego and don't want it stroked(makes me nervous).

I made the statement on this thread as a tongue-in-cheek thing and got just about what I expected.

I will continue to post when and if I think it appropriate.  Thanks for the opportunity.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

DNall

I think everyone understands it's a joke that anyone from the field would be sleected regardless of how well qualified.

However, it does sound like you've probably done everything but the paperwork for the levels. I don't think you should put in the 24a for ego, more ribbons, or credibility with anyone that cares who has a GRW. I'd just do it cause it's there & forget about it.

SAR-EMT1

I just want to apoligize in case I offended anyone.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

lordmonar

I think it is bad that he has to put in any paperwork at all.  His PDO and Admin Officer should be checking records and when they see someone who has finished all the requirements, they should do the paperwork themselves.  Same with promotions.  The PDO should be doing this anyway...because one of his jobs is to encourage his squadron members to continue their PD and complete the various levels.

Not a hit on Bosshawk...he is probably just the type we really want on the BoG.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DNall

^ granted, on both counts, but how often does it happen that way?

JohnKachenmeister

Like we used to be told in the Army:  "Ultimately, you must be your own personnel officer."

MAJORZ04

We can all go back and forth and back and forth about this....... But.... This BOG member has
to get appointed and approved by the National Commander.  The way things are going at National, now, the newest member will be a TP clone or worse...
It would be great to have an actual "member-at -large" that came from the field.... but
we all know that will never happen..
A sad state of affairs !!!
We, in the field, must concentrate on our core missions and core "VALUES".  If the field
keeps up the core VALUES perhaps, in time, someone from the field will rise to National
Leadership and we get back to "Missions for America", and not the Maxwell/National Hq
soap opera....
All........ Keep the Faith !!!!

ZigZag911

Dang.

Nothing gets 'waived' more regularly than Level 4 requirement/recommendation for corporate officer jobs, it would probably be done just as readily to fill a BOG vacancy.

The real trouble you have is that you sound as though you have both knowledge and experience...we can't have that!

ZigZag911

Quote from: Major_Chuck on April 02, 2007, 11:54:23 AM
I self nominated myself a few years ago but lost out to Rick Bowling.  This was right after his term as National Commander ended.

In my opinion it is all ready determined who they want on the BoG.  Just a mere formality to let the peons in CAP throw their hats in the ring.

I believe you are entirely correct, the selection has already been made, this is a formailty, a mere legal requirement.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 03, 2007, 02:16:27 PM

I believe you are entirely correct, the selection has already been made, this is a formailty, a mere legal requirement.

And that right there smacks of a sad state of affairs.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

RogueLeader

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 04, 2007, 11:03:41 AM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 03, 2007, 02:16:27 PM

And that right there smacks of a sad state of affairs.
No kidding, too bad AF couldn't step in and interven an the side of the members.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

bosshawk

A slight deviation from the main theme of this topic, but the CC Firing in CA looks like it has been closed.

The Region CC of Pac Region announced today that Lt Col Jesus Muniz has been appointed the permanent CC of CAWG: just about two weeks after Col Nelson was relieved.

The Region selection process for a Wing Commander was cancelled.

Now back to our regular programming.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

DNall

Quote from: MAJORZ04 on April 03, 2007, 01:45:37 PM
We, in the field, must concentrate on our core missions and core "VALUES".  If the field
keeps up the core VALUES perhaps, in time, someone from the field will rise to National
Leadership and we get back to "Missions for America", and not the Maxwell/National Hq
soap opera....All........ Keep the Faith !!!!
Off topic, but we've been doing that since the begining of time. The issue is the process to rise in that chain is corrupting, and that's what needs to be fixed. Certainly you'll get a good one now & then despite the system, but you can't attain any consistency of quality for the long haul unless you fix the system that makes leaders & defines who rises & why.

Side note, I know a lot of us are interested in what Iowa has been able to pull off, and the guard there certainly ha s a strong connection with members in the field, plus the added advantage of experience with the state mission & HLS aspect... how would yall feel about nominating their TAG or one of the AAGs to be our rep? Clearly that reqiures waiving some requirements, but ignoring that issue for a moment, would you be up for something like that?

SAR-EMT1

Possibly.
Work out the details for me so I can make up my mind.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

DNall

^ On nominating the Iowa TAG or AAG?

No details. We all know what's been going on there, the relationship those guard leaders have built thru active involvement with that CAP wing, the interest the NGB has taken in CAP a couple years back, the scope of state missions (mainly run by NG) that CAP is or wants to play in... I think it'd be a coupe for CAP to bring someone like that onto BoG.

Someone can sign them up real quick to actually make them a member (at least of the patron variety). And I think their mil background (PME, MOS, etc) would actually be able to make a pretty good case for awarding a good part of the required PD. The main thing they'd be missing is the 5yrs TIS. But, I said put that issue aside for a moment & would you be willing to have someone like that represent us as members, knowing they don't have a long history as a CAP member, but recognizing the significant things they bring to the table & the field friendly relationship they've built in Iowa... I think that nomination is in progress alreay, but I'd be interested to see how some of you feel about the idea.

ZigZag911

Quote from: DNall on April 06, 2007, 08:19:03 PM
Side note, I know a lot of us are interested in what Iowa has been able to pull off, and the guard there certainly ha s a strong connection with members in the field, plus the added advantage of experience with the state mission & HLS aspect... how would ya ll feel about nominating their TAG or one of the AAGs to be our rep? Clearly that reqiures waiving some requirements, but ignoring that issue for a moment, would you be up for something like that?

Why not nominate someone from their wing staff?  As I understand it, could be anyone not serving as a corporate officer -- such as perhaps wing CS?

I know it could be a corporate officer who was willing to give up the command, but I see o need to go there right now.

DNall

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 06, 2007, 11:38:01 PM
Why not nominate someone from their wing staff?  As I understand it, could be anyone not serving as a corporate officer -- such as perhaps wing CS?

I know it could be a corporate officer who was willing to give up the command, but I see o need to go there right now.
That goes back to it being pre-determined. It'll be a former region CC or Nat CC/VC. For anyone other then that to be considered it'd have to be an incredibly significant candidate... like a sitting state AG or a recently retired AF general officer. LtCol isn't going to get it done, CAP or otherwise.

ZigZag911

Quote from: DNall on April 07, 2007, 01:04:20 AM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 06, 2007, 11:38:01 PM

That goes back to it being pre-determined. It'll be a former region CC or Nat CC/VC. For anyone other then that to be considered it'd have to be an incredibly significant candidate... like a sitting state AG or a recently retired AF general officer. LtCol isn't going to get it done, CAP or otherwise.

Maybe a recently retired AF general who has some CAP connection....I think a serving state Adjutant General or asst AG is going to be far too busy to want any part of this....also, such a person is really not going to know the issues or the players.

So, how many newly retired O-7 through O-10 officers who have an interest in CAP do you know?

ZigZag911

I just had a brainstorm....how about someone like Senator Harkin?

DNall

congressmen can't serve on a congressionally designating & reporting oversight board - you can't report to yourself.

BoG is four meetings a year. Serving active duty general officers serve on it. Take a look who's on there now, and who else has been since it was established. I think it's rpetty reasonable to think a serving TAG or AAG could take the role. They probably will be retiring from that post during the BoG term, which makes for a good transition.

ZigZag911

Quote from: DNall on April 07, 2007, 01:15:36 AM
congressmen can't serve on a congressionally designating & reporting oversight board - you can't report to yourself.

Right...well, maybe when he retires from the Senate!

Psicorp

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 07, 2007, 01:07:52 AM
I just had a brainstorm....how about someone like Senator Harkin?

Gen. Colin Powell seems to be available  ;D

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

DNall

You go recruit him. Tell him we need help restoring core values across our org so as to reinvigorate our volunteer & youth movements. It's right up his alley. If you can sell him on it, I'd be all for it, I think we all would.