How do I aply to CCOC 2014?

Started by Cadet David Derasmo, December 05, 2013, 12:18:42 AM

Cadet David Derasmo

I am a graduate of PJOC 2013. To allow more cadets to attend PJOC and provide more applicants for APJOC, APJOC 2014 has been cancelled. I have to wait until the Summer of 2015 to attend APJOC. Now, I know CCOC isn't an official NCSA and I'm a cadet of Nevada Wing. So how in the world do I apply for CCOC? Thank you for your time.
C/Maj David Derasmo
"The true test comes when all strength has fled and men must produce victory on will alone." -Steven Pressfield, Gates of Fire
*Previous Squadron Positions: Emergency Services Officer, Safety Officer, Recruiting and Retentions Officer, Cadet Advisory Council Representative, Flight Commander
*Current Squadron Positions: Cadet Commander, Cadet Advisory Council Representative
*NCSAs: PJOC

Huey Driver

CCOC was canned last year due to budget cuts, but they're working bringing the course back this year. No details are released at the point though.

I'd check their website from time to time at http://www.capcombatcontrol.com/
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

RogueLeader

Typically, the application window is from Feb 1 through 15 May of each year.  There will likely be an announcement here about it.  All applications must be approved by your Wing Commander.  There is no leeway on requirements, if your paperwork is not on time?  Try again next year. 

As a member that started CCOC, I would would advise you to start training now, no amount of PT will fully prepare you for the experience that will rain upon you like a hurricane.  Not to mention, ensure your Customs and Courtesies are perfect, because they WILL nail you for it.  Attention to detail is a crucial skill for everyone there.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Cadet David Derasmo

Right but how do I actually apply? Do I just hand in the Form 31 with "Combat Control Orientation Course" on it? Do I hand in the physical evaluation sheet from the website WITH the form 31 or am I to wait for a slot, take the test and then scan and email the results to the activity director? As far as  preparation goes I appreciate your concern. However I am a graduate of PJOC and was training for APJOC until three days ago when I found out it was not to be held this year. Don't worry, I am no stranger of sleep deprivation, 6+ hour long smoke sessions, cold nights, etc. Thank you for your time.
C/Maj David Derasmo
"The true test comes when all strength has fled and men must produce victory on will alone." -Steven Pressfield, Gates of Fire
*Previous Squadron Positions: Emergency Services Officer, Safety Officer, Recruiting and Retentions Officer, Cadet Advisory Council Representative, Flight Commander
*Current Squadron Positions: Cadet Commander, Cadet Advisory Council Representative

SarDragon

Quote from: Cadet David Derasmo on December 05, 2013, 11:53:05 PM
     Right but how do I actually apply?
The web site will tell you all you need to know, at such time as the event is actually given the go-ahead.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cadet David Derasmo

So, basically constantly update my self to see whats happening  with CCOC by checking CAPTALK and the CCOC website. Got it. I extremely appreciate the help and advice and thank you all for your time.

P.S. If any CCOC grads would be as kind as to give any advice concerning applications or pool training I would greatly appreciate it.
C/Maj David Derasmo

Pulsar

Quote from: Cadet David Derasmo on December 05, 2013, 12:18:42 AM
I am a graduate of PJOC 2013.
I have a cadet that is somewhat interested in PJOC, he almost a C/MSgt, 15 years old, and very physically active. Could you PM me some information of your experience at PJOC?
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

blackbird

I too, am interested in attending PJOC. Could you possibly PM me some info about how PJOC was?

RogueLeader

Quote from: Cadet David Derasmo on December 06, 2013, 06:38:17 AM
     So, basically constantly update my self to see whats happening  with CCOC by checking CAPTALK and the CCOC website. Got it. I extremely appreciate the help and advice and thank you all for your time.

P.S. If any CCOC grads would be as kind as to give any advice concerning applications or pool training I would greatly appreciate it.

The CCOC application consists of two sections, the CAPF 31, that is required to be signed by your Squadron/Group if applicable/Wing Commanders.  As well as, completing the physical fitness test, which is specific to CCOC that needs to be signed off by your unit.

Note that you will re accomplish the PT test prior to in-processing, and PT failures will be sent home immediately.  The pool portion is not hard, just swim the distance in the time allotted.

There is no 6 hour smoke sessions, or any sleep deprivation.  The course is arduous enough, and packed full with actual content that such things are not needed.  I will guarantee you that will be bone tired and totally smoked just by how fast the pace is.

CCOC XO 2009 (Plank Class)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pulsar

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 05, 2013, 10:54:35 PM
Not to mention, ensure your Customs and Courtesies are perfect, because they WILL nail you for it.  Attention to detail is a crucial skill for everyone there.
Sounds like my encampment.
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

RogueLeader

I would also like to mention that, if not all, most of the CCOC are either current Military, or former military that worked in High Speed units.  These are people that you really do NOT want to make mad.  We can be very inventive for PT.  You don't want to be that guy who fails to salute the AF COL in charge of Special Tactics.  Yes, it did happen.  No, it was not even remotely pretty.

As an added note, this course is only for those in Fitness Category 1.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Cadet David Derasmo

I greatly appreciate the feed back. Are you by chance still curently part of the CCOC staff? If so, then how many cadets are usually taken each year?
Three of the cadets I went to Pararescue with stated that their class consisted of only 20 cadets. Is this number higher in modern day classes? Thank you for your time.
C/Maj David Derasmo

RogueLeader

Quote from: Cadet David Derasmo on December 14, 2013, 04:13:26 AM
     I greatly appreciate the feed back. Are you by chance still curently part of the CCOC staff? If so, then how many cadets are usually taken each year?
Three of the cadets I went to Pararescue with stated that their class consisted of only 20 cadets. Is this number higher in modern day classes? Thank you for your time.

I've not been been part of the CCOC Staff since my departure from the military (and thus Fayetteville Composite Squadron) in April of 2010.  IIRC, only 20 cadets are taken each year.  I do want to get involved again.  I never thought that I would ever say that I want to go back to Bragg, but I do.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Cadet David Derasmo

The only question I have left in my mind is pertaining to the Form 31.  The website says the Form 31 must be signed by the applicants home unit and Wing if possible. Does this mean if I send an application in without Wing approval it will be denied or it is just preferable? Thank you for your time.
C/Maj David Derasmo

a2capt

Typically the way it works, is for your initial application to most activities, the CAPF signed by your direct CC gets you going. Once accepted, confirmed, etc., they want the Wing level sign off. Getting it all first can't be a bad thing either.

PHall

Quote from: Cadet David Derasmo on December 24, 2013, 02:18:17 AM
The only question I have left in my mind is pertaining to the Form 31.  The website says the Form 31 must be signed by the applicants home unit and Wing if possible. Does this mean if I send an application in without Wing approval it will be denied or it is just preferable? Thank you for your time.

If you attend an activity outside your Wing then your Wing Commander has to approve your Form 31.

RogueLeader

It must be signed by the wing commander of you are outside of north Carolina wing. If it is not signed by the wing cc, it will be denied.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

a2capt

Forgot to add, they usually specify that in the signup instructions.. So if it says apply with it signed, then .. it will imply that those from outside of the wing hosting the activity need theirs signed, by their unit & wing.

arajca

Quote from: PHall on December 24, 2013, 02:38:55 AM

If you attend an activity outside your Wing then your Wing Commander has to approve your Form 31.
And your Region Commander, if your region has that policy AND you're applying for an out-of region activity.

RogueLeader

Quote from: arajca on December 24, 2013, 03:36:48 AM
Quote from: PHall on December 24, 2013, 02:38:55 AM

And your Region Commander, if your region has that policy AND you're applying for an out-of region activity.

Last I knew, the staff did not require region commander signatures, and they didn't check if regions required it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

arajca

RMR requires it for any member appying for an out of region activity - excepting NCSAs. Upper level senior PD (NSC) already require it.

Pulsar

Q: When do the dates for CCOC 2014 come out? Is the selection process similar to NCSAs?
C/LtCol Neutron Star

RogueLeader

Quote from: Pulsar on January 02, 2014, 01:57:17 PM
Q: When do the dates for CCOC 2014 come out? Is the selection process similar to NCSAs?
No.  The dates will be listed on the website www.capcombatcontrol.com.  The selection process is different than NCSA's.  Selection process is/will be listed on the website as well.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pulsar

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 02, 2014, 10:57:39 PM
No.  The dates will be listed on the website www.capcombatcontrol.com.  The selection process is different than NCSA's.  Selection process is/will be listed on the website as well.

thanx but do you know when they release the dates
C/LtCol Neutron Star

Pulsar

Quote from: Pulsar on January 03, 2014, 07:30:51 PM

[refresh]...
C/LtCol Neutron Star

SarDragon

Quote from: Pulsar on January 08, 2014, 06:22:00 PM
Quote from: Pulsar on January 03, 2014, 07:30:51 PM

[refresh]...

Patience, padawan. As reported earlier -  The dates will be listed on the website www.capcombatcontrol.com.

They will be published when they are published. Your nagging on here will do nothing to accelerate the process.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret