Civil Air Patrol Gortex Jacket Tab

Started by Pulsar, November 20, 2013, 05:35:41 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: flyer333555 on November 20, 2013, 11:08:43 PM
Eclipse-

Don't have a cow about Garibaldi's post.

Its

Not

Worth

A

Heart

Attack!

Flyer

It was aimed at Pulsar's spelling and grammar, Garabaldi got caught in friendly fire.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

When I joined I set up the epaulets on the M65 to match the spacing on a standard shirt epaulet sleeve, I think that's a reasonable
interpretation and certainly "looks" right.

Somewhere I got it in my head that the "CAP" was supposed to be centered on the epaulet, regardless of how big it is. 
I have no idea where I pulled that from but I can't support it anywhere in the texts.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 20, 2013, 10:09:55 PMTo be exact with CAPR 5-4 section 4, it is required to be incorporated into the affected regulation within 180 days.  So, technically, he is correct.  Not that we don't take it as given, but those changes are expired by CAP regulation.
I chose not to go there, though I should have.  ;)While one would be correct, it's not worth the pissing match when challenging the uppers on that.

RogueLeader

Quote from: a2capt on November 20, 2013, 11:28:59 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on November 20, 2013, 10:09:55 PMTo be exact with CAPR 5-4 section 4, it is required to be incorporated into the affected regulation within 180 days.  So, technically, he is correct.  Not that we don't take it as given, but those changes are expired by CAP regulation.
I chose not to go there, though I should have.  ;)While one would be correct, it's not worth the pissing match when challenging the uppers on that.

Which is why I don't have wing patches on blues.  I'm not saying that I do/do not use that for certain SUI items.

I'm just pointing it out that its there. . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Storm Chaser

Since CAPM 39-1 doesn't provide specific instructions on the placement of the embroidered CAP on the field jacket (an unfortunate omission), I used the picture as a template and placed mine in a way that looked like the picture on the manual.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 20, 2013, 11:31:08 PM

Which is why I don't have wing patches on blues.  I'm not saying that I do/do not use that for certain SUI items.

Pretty sure intent behind their "eternal" ICL is to imply approval every 90 days while the overhaul happens.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 20, 2013, 11:32:46 PM
Since CAPM 39-1 doesn't provide specific instructions on the placement of the embroidered CAP on the field jacket (an unfortunate omission), I used the picture as a template and placed mine in a way that looked like the picture on the manual.

I sent a question to the knowledge base on it twice. Second time with pictures  and drafting lines of the specof measurement ommision. Got a canned response both times to refer to the picture...about which i had the question...

Someone get technical, convert the image pixels to inches and post it up.  >:D

RogueLeader

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 20, 2013, 11:33:03 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on November 20, 2013, 11:31:08 PM

Pretty sure intent behind their "eternal" ICL is to imply approval every 90 days while the overhaul happens.

Again, that is not allowed by regulation. 
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Agreed. But would also be silly to republish it every 90 days. Or...they could have stuck it in the beginning of that manual mess and call it a day.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 20, 2013, 11:41:20 PM
Agreed. But would also be silly to republish it every 90 days. Or...they could have stuck it in the beginning of that manual mess and call it a day.

The proper procedure is to update the regulation.

ICLs are only supposed to be issued for emergency situations to start with, not as band aid until someone finds their
installer key for Adobe Acrobat.

You could make the argument that since no uniform item is an "emergency", the ICL itself was invalid on publication.
However barring a SCOCAP, these things just wallow.

And this kind of thing contributes mightily to the general malaise as well as the attitude that the regulations
are a menu and some are "important" and some aren't.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on November 20, 2013, 11:45:03 PMThe proper procedure is to update the regulation.
There was an old concept of publishing a "change" to the pub. It included the new pages; you pulled out the old ones, inserted the new ones. Voila, current publication.

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard. But, it does make sense, so we probably couldn't do that.

The Infamous Meerkat

Interim Rapid Action Change (IRAC). Consisted of doing exactly what he said ^. Take out the old page, put the new one in, annotate it in the front of the pub. Worked great in the USMC.
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

tribalelder

Back into early '90's, we relied on printed regs. Changes were distributed to units (and subscribers - yes, you ordered a set through the bookstore) as replacement pages to be inserted and minor changes by 'pen and ink'. Distribution ran 30 days in arrears of the changes. Worked well.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

Papabird

Quote from: tribalelder on November 21, 2013, 02:58:23 PM
Back into early '90's, we relied on printed regs. Changes were distributed to units (and subscribers - yes, you ordered a set through the bookstore) as replacement pages to be inserted and minor changes by 'pen and ink'. Distribution ran 30 days in arrears of the changes. Worked well.

I have at least three of these big blue binders in my office and the very last update envelope.  This was the world of the 20th century, and I used to love those large manila update envelopes.

That being said, we live in a "right now" world and have a digital version of the above with zero updates.  Bad juju and we get what we are discussing here.  Temporary regs/mans living well beyond their lives due to no one cracking open the PDF.

Being an Admin Geek, it has bugged me for years!
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

Eclipse

Quote from: Papabird on November 21, 2013, 03:23:46 PM
Quote from: tribalelder on November 21, 2013, 02:58:23 PM

I have at least three of these big blue binders in my office and the very last update envelope.

Seriously, or I'm calling "Hoarders"...

"That Others May Zoom"

Papabird

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2013, 03:29:00 PM
Quote from: Papabird on November 21, 2013, 03:23:46 PM
I have at least three of these big blue binders in my office and the very last update envelope.

Seriously, or I'm calling "Hoarders"...

NOOOOO!!!   :'(  LOL

Georgia Wing

Luis R. Ramos

I hated doing those updates.

During part of the time I was a Squadron Admin Officer I was also Group Admin Officer. So after I did Squadron I did the same at Group... Helped that Group and Squadron offices were in the same building!

But I would have preferred doing that now, when there have been no updates in a long time for 39-1!!!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Storm Chaser

One good thing about those updates is that it forced you to read the changes and keep up to date. Now, many members don't even bother to go back and read regulations until they find out that what used to be is no more.

Papabird

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 21, 2013, 05:03:37 PM
One good thing about those updates is that it forced you to read the changes and keep up to date. Now, many members don't even bother to go back and read regulations until they find out that what used to be is no more.

Amen.  I even find myself getting "lazy" on that.  I have started sitting down and reading anything new off of the reg list.  :)
Georgia Wing

Eclipse

^ Long Live RSS - if you're not subscribed to those feeds, you should be!

Then you get things as soon as they are pub'ed , if nothing else.

"That Others May Zoom"