Civil Air Patrol Gortex Jacket Tab

Started by Pulsar, November 20, 2013, 05:35:41 PM

Pulsar

What is this? How do you wear it on your jacket? What is a "gortex" jacket? Is it the regular BDU coat?  ???
http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-gortex-jacket-tab-cadet-second-lieutenant-p-13652.html

thanks
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Brad

It's not the same as the regular BDU coat. It is a water-repelling coat designed for cold weather or extremely wet weather. Read the ICL to CAPM 39-1 and scroll down, you'll see a picture that shows where it is supposed to go on the tab flap on the front of the coat at chest-level.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2012_03_12_Uniform_Manual_EDA9CCE9FE03A.pdf
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Pulsar

I don't have that type of coat. I have the regular; As a cadet officer, where do I wear my rank on the coat?  :-\
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

MIKE

As a cadet officer, look it up in the Uniform Manual.
Mike Johnston

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MIKE on November 20, 2013, 07:21:00 PM

+100%

It's all there.

Huey Driver

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

RogueLeader

Quote from: JerseyCadet on November 20, 2013, 09:40:26 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 20, 2013, 08:24:43 PM

+100%

It's all there.

Or not!

As for wearing the grade insignia on a field jacket IS all there. . . .
[hint]

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JerseyCadet on November 20, 2013, 09:40:26 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 20, 2013, 08:24:43 PM

+100%

It's all there.

Or not!

[/hint]

I expect my cadet NCOs to know what an ICL is, and where to find it. Any cadet past WBA should have already checked out the cap members website and found the reg pages. ICLs are listed right next to the uniform manual.

a2capt

..and in the case of an issued ICL, I'd be reading that first.

Having witnessed someone very recently installing a Wing patch on blues, because while he admitted, "I know they removed it, but it's back now, it's in the manual"..

... it never -left- the manual. It was removed via ICL.   

RogueLeader

Quote from: a2capt on November 20, 2013, 09:58:15 PM
..and in the case of an issued ICL, I'd be reading that first.

Having witnessed someone very recently installing a Wing patch on blues, because while he admitted, "I know they removed it, but it's back now, it's in the manual"..

... it never -left- the manual. It was removed via ICL.

To be exact with CAPR 5-4 section 4, it is required to be incorporated into the affected regulation within 180 days.  So, technically, he is correct.  Not that we don't take it as given, but those changes are expired by CAP regulation.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pulsar

oh of course that's the first thing I did.
I guess what I meant to ask for is specifics. Do you actually sow the rank on the epulants (or however you spell them). And another thing that wasn't clear, Do you wear them on both shoulders?
thankyou
C/LtCol Neutron Star

Garibaldi

Quote from: Pulsar on November 20, 2013, 10:32:16 PM
I guess what I meant to ask for is specifics. Do you actually sow the rank on the epulants (or however you spell them). And another thing that wasn't clear, Do you wear them on both shoulders?
thankyou

You SEW the blue embroidered rank on the epaulet, about 1/2 inch from the shoulder. Then, you sew a blue embroidered CAP cutout about 1/2 inch above that. Both shoulders, so that if you look sideways-on, you can read CAP above the grade, not CAP on one side and PAC on the other.

What gets me is that the picture in 39-1 shows the CAP well above the rank cutout on the epaulet. I've always sewn it 1/2 inch above the rank because it looks better. If that's the way it's supposed to be, my personal opinion is that it should be changed to the way I do things.  >:D It just looks better IMO.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Pulsar

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 20, 2013, 10:37:40 PM
thankyou

You SEW the blue embroidered rank on the epaulet, about 1/2 inch from the shoulder. Then, you sew a blue embroidered CAP cutout about 1/2 inch above that. Both shoulders, so that if you look sideways-on, you can read CAP above the grade, not CAP on one side and PAC on the other.

What gets me is that the picture in 39-1 shows the CAP well above the rank cutout on the epaulet. I've always sewn it 1/2 inch above the rank because it looks better. If that's the way it's supposed to be, my personal opinion is that it should be changed to the way I do things.  >:D It just looks better IMO.
thankyou very much sir!
C/LtCol Neutron Star

Garibaldi

Quote from: Pulsar on November 20, 2013, 10:38:56 PM
thankyou

thankyou very much sir!

Oh yeah, and another personal pet peeve of mine...center the insignia. And make sure there's not a whole lot of blue showing on the edges. 39-1 doesn't really stipulate how much blue that I can tell, but it makes me shudder whenever I see a lot. Call it about 1/8" maybe? No more than that. You have to do a lot of folding and ironing to get it right...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Pulsar

Then, you sew a blue embroidered CAP cutout about 1/2 inch above that.

Actually, I can't find that at Vanguard. Wear can you purchase that? (-the blue embroidered CAP cutout)
C/LtCol Neutron Star

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 20, 2013, 10:44:59 PM
Quote from: Pulsar on November 20, 2013, 10:38:56 PM
thankyou

thankyou very much sir!

Oh yeah, and another personal pet peeve of mine...center the insignia. And make sure there's not a whole lot of blue showing on the edges. 39-1 doesn't really stipulate how much blue that I can tell, but it makes me shudder whenever I see a lot. Call it about 1/8" maybe? No more than that. You have to do a lot of folding and ironing to get it right...

Actually, CAPM 39-1 does specify the amount of blue; it's 1/8 of an inch "at the widest and tallest point of the insignia..."

Luis R. Ramos

Eclipse-

Don't have a cow about Garibaldi's post.

Its

Not

Worth

A

Heart

Attack!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

thankyou

Half inch? Looks a lot more than that on the graphic (only the SM one). IIRC we deemed it 1.5 to 2" as a standard locally.  And that's another one of my pet peeves. They couldn't add the CAP above the cadet grade demonstration? But what Really grinds my gears are cadet officers who want to stick everything imaginable on the coat, but don't put the CAP/grade on the shoulders because "they promote too often". Really?