I can't pick a NCSA

Started by Pulsar, November 14, 2013, 11:17:13 PM

Pulsar

I know all the NCSAs haven't come out on the website yet but which ones are good ones to go to. I am interested in aviation and flying more than the military. Which ones do you recommend applying for? I am looking for ones under $475. What activities do you do at certain ones? /what exactly is Space Command Fam course? --Or Undergraduate Pilot Training Fam Course? Any experiences from any ncsas? I am <16 so not all are available. ???
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Pulsar

C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Eclipse

Quote from: Pulsar on November 15, 2013, 02:18:52 AMI live in pa so that's a long drive. (We don't do airline)

...b..e...c...a...u...s...e...

...he asked knowing the answer would be "complex".

"That Others May Zoom"

Peeka

Quote from: Pulsar on November 15, 2013, 02:18:52 AM
:o I would really like to apply for this one. Is it always held in MS? I live in pa so that's a long drive. (We don't do airline) 

There is/was? one at Laughlin AFB, Texas.

NC Hokie

You can find even more info about SUPTFC here: http://suptfc.com/

My daughter graduated with Class 13-01, and I can tell you that you had better be prepared to work your tail off if you want to succeed there.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Zorro

QuoteMy daughter graduated with Class 13-01, and I can tell you that you had better be prepared to work your tail off if you want to succeed there.
It was a great pleasure to work with your daughter in Gombey Flight, Sir.

I graduated from SUPTFC-MS Class 13-01 as well, and I can tell you first hand, College work is usually easier. But if you want to get into military aviation, especially in the USAF, I cannot encourage you enough to go. Even if you do not plan on becoming a pilot, you should apply (I want to do ATC). It is very academically challenging, but do not let that scare you off. It was the highlight of my time as a cadet, and I would LOVE to go back and relive that week.

Brad

:o I would really like to apply for this one. Is it always held in MS? I live in pa so that's a long drive. (We don't do airline)

CAPR 76-1. Talk to your senior members and if there is enough of an interest for this NCSA from your squadron/group/wing, military travel to it could possibly be arranged, since it is held on an Air Force base.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

PHall

Quote from: Brad on November 16, 2013, 04:41:17 PM

CAPR 76-1. Talk to your senior members and if there is enough of an interest for this NCSA from your squadron/group/wing, military travel to it could possibly be arranged, since it is held on an Air Force base.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Military airlift, with the "budget" we now have?

What have you been smoking?

Brad

That's why I said possibly, heh. I figure it probably won't fly, no pun intended, but never hurts to ask. The planets may miraculously align and it could actually get approved.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Pulsar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 15, 2013, 03:13:27 AM
Quote from: Pulsar on November 15, 2013, 02:18:52 AMI live in pa so that's a long drive. (We don't do airline)

tooooooo expensive.  :clap:
C/LtCol Neutron Star

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on November 16, 2013, 06:06:19 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O-rides and airlift still happen, though airlift has been a 90% "no" for a long time.

Crews still do regular proficiency flying and CAP peole make nice ballast.  The problem with airlift is you can't depend on it
enough to be sure you can get home.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Pulsar on November 16, 2013, 07:28:51 PM

Priced a drive lately?  Airfare is cheap in the grand scheme.
Depending on the point-to-point, you should be able to find a PW-MS flight for about $300 round trip.
Driving a vehicle that gets 25MPG is going to cost about $240.  That's at $3.00pg. When prices go back
up at NCSA time, it'll be close to a wash.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pulsar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2013, 09:32:45 PM

Priced a drive lately?  Airfare is cheap in the grand scheme.
Depending on the point-to-point, you should be able to find a PW-MS flight for about $300 round trip.
Driving a vehicle that gets 25MPG is going to cost about $240.  That's at $3.00pg. When prices go back
up at NCSA time, it'll be close to a wash.
really? Another thing, would I be able to travel alone? (I wouldn't be aloud though.) Or do you have to be like 16?
C/LtCol Neutron Star

Eclipse

Quote from: Pulsar on November 16, 2013, 09:44:23 PM
really? Another thing, would I be able to travel alone? (I wouldn't be aloud though.) Or do you have to be like 16?

Well, if you travel "aloud", they probably will kick you off the plane.

However, yes, you can travel alone as an unaccompanied minor.
Most airlines require you to be at least 12.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2013, 09:26:47 PM
Quote from: PHall on November 16, 2013, 06:06:19 PM

O-rides and airlift still happen, though airlift has been a 90% "no" for a long time.

Crews still do regular proficiency flying and CAP peole make nice ballast.  The problem with airlift is you can't depend on it
enough to be sure you can get home.

CAP people are passengers, which is a whole another approval process that you have to jump through.

Trust me on this one Bob, I've done it. Cost me a bunch of favors and a "don't ever do this again" from my Chief of Current Ops guy.
And this guy was a former cadet too.

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2013, 09:56:41 PM
Quote from: Pulsar on November 16, 2013, 09:44:23 PM

Well, if you travel "aloud", they probably will kick you off the plane.

However, yes, you can travel alone as an unaccompanied minor.
Most airlines require you to be at least 12.

My girls traveled as UMs at ages 8, 6, 6 - LAS-SAN; 10, 8, 8 - LAS-SJC-SAN; 12, 10, 10 - LAS-MCO-LAS; and 15, 13, 13 - PDX-SAN-PDX. Travel years were '86, '88, '90, and '93. Easy-peasy all four times.

Dunno what the rules and requirements are these days.

I've got to agree that flying will likely be cheaper than driving. I don't know where you live, so I used Philadelphia and Pittsburgh on one end, and Columbus, MS at the other end.

PHL-GTR (RT) airfare is $372. Gas for one driving RT is @ $210 (800+ mi, 25 mpg, $3.25/gal, 14+ hrs one way).

PIT-GTR (RT) airfare is $427. Gas is @ $260 (1000+ mi, 25 mpg, $3.25/gal, 16+ hrs one way).

You haven't said what your driver(s) will do for the time you are at the activity, but that is an additional consideration.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NC Hokie

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you really want something, you find ways to make it happen.

My daughter knew that we didn't have the money to send her to SUPT, so she wound up raising the money by asking friends and family for donations and by selling candy to people in the neighborhood and other places that she visited regularly.  Strangers even gave her donations because they overheard her telling someone else what she was selling the candy for!  Another cadet I know paid for powered flight academy one year by asking for donations from groups like the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the EAA, and the local Rotary Clubs.

Trust me, there are plenty of adults that want to help you achieve your dreams.  You just have to find them and convince them that you are worth it.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

CAPglider792

There is a difference between not having the money to go somewhere and not giving the effort. Sometimes the circumstances just don't allow for it, and it is beyond your control. I hate it when I hear people say how " Money isn't a good reason not to go to ..." when it is actually one of the main reasons that determines whether attendance is possible. Please be realistic and realize the difference between determination and having a dream vs. it not being a reality due to circumstances out of the individuals control.

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPglider792 on November 17, 2013, 05:41:34 PM
There is a difference between not having the money to go somewhere and not giving the effort. Sometimes the circumstances just don't allow for it, and it is beyond your control. I hate it when I hear people say how " Money isn't a good reason not to go to ..." when it is actually one of the main reasons that determines whether attendance is possible. Please be realistic and realize the difference between determination and having a dream vs. it not being a reality due to circumstances out of the individuals control.

That's certainly fair, but life is choice.

I've had more then a few conversations with parents claiming poverty while leaning on their Escalade with a $4 latte in one hand and the latest iWhatever in the other and complaining their Pay-per-view bill was too high this month to afford encampment (etc.).

That or "Have you seen what it costs to play away hockey these days? Between that and Road Soccer, Dish Network, and our vacation, times are really tough.  Can the unit donate anything."

(Not saying that's Pulsar's case, just sayin'...)

There's always a way for someone willing to go 2 extra miles to get there.

"That Others May Zoom"