Service Cap, Wing Commander Approval

Started by Nearly Dark Side, October 18, 2013, 05:57:40 PM

Storm Chaser

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 20, 2013, 06:20:55 AM
This should take no more than a minute currently. Hopefully they fix it. Make it for allowed wear, Phase IV only.

Why only Phase IV cadets? Make it allowed for all cadet officers; no wing commander approval required. Let unit commanders and activity OICs decide when it's appropriate to wear or not. They determine what the UOD is anyways.

Eclipse

Other then uniformity, which is about 94th on the CAP Hot 100, why restrict it at all from anyone?

Company-grade service caps, especially older ones, are cheap and easy to find.

Amusing that a C/TSgt could wear a beret after NBB, but can't wear a wheel cap?

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 21, 2013, 04:45:28 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 20, 2013, 06:20:55 AM
This should take no more than a minute currently. Hopefully they fix it. Make it for allowed wear, Phase IV only.

Why only Phase IV cadets? Make it allowed for all cadet officers; no wing commander approval required. Let unit commanders and activity OICs decide when it's appropriate to wear or not. They determine what the UOD is anyways.

Seen too many cadets get their Mitchell and stop there. They got the boards, they got the wheel cap, and they don't want to do any more work. Make it Phase IV only and I'm sure you'll see a jump in Earhart numbers.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on October 21, 2013, 04:52:21 PM
Other then uniformity, which is about 94th on the CAP Hot 100, why restrict it at all from anyone?

You make a good point. Uniformity, especially in formation, is the only reason I can see to restrict their wear.

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 21, 2013, 05:07:28 PM
Seen too many cadets get their Mitchell and stop there. They got the boards, they got the wheel cap, and they don't want to do any more work. Make it Phase IV only and I'm sure you'll see a jump in Earhart numbers.

If a "wheel cap" is the only motivation for a cadet to pursue progression to Phase IV, then there's something wrong with either the program or the cadet.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 21, 2013, 05:14:43 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 21, 2013, 04:52:21 PM

You make a good point. Uniformity, especially in formation, is the only reason I can see to restrict their wear.

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 21, 2013, 05:07:28 PM

If a "wheel cap" is the only motivation for a cadet to pursue progression to Phase IV, then there's something wrong with either the program or the cadet.

There are two main stumbling blocks to go from Mitchell to Earhart:

SDAs.
"Nothing else to get".

Personally, the way the SDA program is now, I wouldn't mind scrapping it. From what I've seen, most units don't actually do much besides taking the written reports. Some don't even do that.

As for the "nothing else to get", it's the opposite event horizon of "chief4lyfe". 2nd Lt is good enough for many, because you're not an NCO, but get the salutes, and are pretty much maxed out on bling.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 21, 2013, 05:22:41 PM
As for the "nothing else to get", it's the opposite event horizon of "chief4lyfe". 2nd Lt is good enough for many, because you're not an NCO, but get the salutes, and are pretty much maxed out on bling.

How about grade, seniority, more leadership responsibilities and challenging opportunities? A cadet that needs a hat as motivation to be promoted, doesn't deserve to be promoted. That's not the purpose of promotions within CAP Cadet Programs. I also believe that if such trivialities are being used as incentive to progress in the program, then there's a failure in leadership within the unit.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 21, 2013, 06:59:32 PM

How about grade, seniority, more leadership responsibilities and challenging opportunities? A cadet that needs a hat as motivation to be promoted, doesn't deserve to be promoted. That's not the purpose of promotions within CAP Cadet Programs. I also believe that if such trivialities are being used as incentive to progress in the program, then there's a failure in leadership within the unit.

Average unit has 15-20 cadet ON books. Say 15-10 show up. MAYBE 1-2 cadet officers. I've seen too many stop at the Mitchell. By that point they are cadet commanders, and rarely meet other officers. Whatever the motivation, they lack it after that point.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 21, 2013, 07:23:57 PMAverage unit has 15-20 cadet ON books. Say 15-10 show up. MAYBE 1-2 cadet officers. I've seen too many stop at the Mitchell. By that point they are cadet commanders, and rarely meet other officers. Whatever the motivation, they lack it after that point.

I have as well, but it's endemic to the system.
By Mitchell most cadets have already been in 3-5 years, that means they are 15-18 years old, and ready to "get on with it".  Some just wanted the bump to E3, some age out (practically speaking), and some get distracted by life. The BSA and other youth groups have the same High School issues.

Considering the fairly increasing level of expectations as you approach Phase IV, I doubt a $10 hat is going to make much difference.

"That Others May Zoom"

Elioron

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 21, 2013, 07:23:57 PM
Average unit has 15-20 cadet ON books. Say 15-10 show up. MAYBE 1-2 cadet officers. I've seen too many stop at the Mitchell. By that point they are cadet commanders, and rarely meet other officers. Whatever the motivation, they lack it after that point.

This is why participation outside the unit is so important.  That is how they will meet other officers and get the challenging opportunities they need.  I've often seen friendly rivalries develop that bond them as friends and help push each other to continually work to improve.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

abdsp51

I guess I got lucky when I got my authorization to wear one since I obtained it verbally from two sep Wing CC's and I was able to go straight to them.

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 21, 2013, 07:49:13 PM
I guess I got lucky when I got my authorization to wear one since I obtained it verbally from two sep Wing CC's and I was able to go straight to them.

"Verbal authorization from a wing Commander"

That goes on the list just below "A cadet told me."

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 21, 2013, 06:59:32 PM

Other then grade......seniority?   Most C/Lts don't have anyone senior to them as it is.  More leadership responsibilities.....see the thread about cadet commanders as C/TSgt and even lower......so it is a been there done that situation.....challenging opportunities?  Where?   At the squadron?   NCSAs are mostly only on during the summers...most CACs are non existent or are just a few boring meetings.

One of several problems with the program IMHO.

I would suggest a simple fix for it........and have before.......require Mitchell before you can be on encampment staff or go to NCSAs.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: Elioron on October 21, 2013, 07:34:09 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 21, 2013, 07:23:57 PM

This is why participation outside the unit is so important.  That is how they will meet other officers and get the challenging opportunities they need.  I've often seen friendly rivalries develop that bond them as friends and help push each other to continually work to improve.
That's nice to say.....but not practical for many locations.

Elioron

Quote from: lordmonar on October 21, 2013, 07:58:25 PM

Why not?  It's not unheard of for members to travel 300 miles to attend and staff events.  If there aren't any events happening, make one up.  Hold a leadership school, an ES training weekend, something!

There is a difference between not being practical and not having the desire to do something.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
PCR-WA-019

lordmonar

Quote from: Elioron on October 21, 2013, 08:15:23 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on October 21, 2013, 07:58:25 PM

Why not?  It's not unheard of for members to travel 300-600 miles to attend and staff events.  If there aren't any events happening, make one up.  Hold a leadership school, an ES training weekend, something!

There is a difference between not being practical and not having the desire to do something.
Cost, time, expertise.

There is also a difference between someone pointing something out and getting attacked for being lazy.

Here in NV we got one squadron that is 3-4 hours away from anyone else.     How do they PUT on something that is not just for their squadron?  I know I'm not driving my cadets 3 hours for something we can get here.   

As I said.....saying we need more participation outside the squadron is not really a practical consideration IMHO.

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on October 21, 2013, 07:52:06 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on October 21, 2013, 07:49:13 PM

"Verbal authorization from a wing Commander"

That goes on the list just below "A cadet told me."

This was also many years ago and the Wg CC was also the Sq CC  >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: Elioron on October 21, 2013, 08:15:23 PMThere is a difference between not being practical and not having the desire to do something.

+1 - If your unit is struggling >and< you're not willing to venture out to seek activities and training elsewhere, you'll never get out of the rut.

"That Others May Zoom"

Elioron

Quote from: lordmonar on October 21, 2013, 08:19:57 PM
There is also a difference between someone pointing something out and getting attacked for being lazy.

That wasn't attacking anyone for being lazy.  I was sharing what I have seen here.

At the Olympic Air Show, a local event we put on, our Safety Officer, Communications Officer, Medical Asst, and several cadet staff members came from more than 300 miles away.  The majority of participants were from more than 50 miles away even though there are 3 squadrons within that area.

The All Cadet SAREX commonly has cadets who drive more than 3 hours to get there.

If SMs aren't willing to drive 3-4 for an event then you may need to recruit more seniors as well.  There is little that will stifle cadets' motivation more than senior members who don't support them (my squadron was a prime example for a long time).
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
PCR-WA-019

lordmonar

First.....there is a difference between "we put on a big thing.....and people came from far away" and "Everyone needs to put on a big thing".

As Eclipse points out.....many units are "struggling"...that is they are small and have no desire/motivation/ability to expand.

Making small units do big things......is not the answer to promoting an environment where cadets want to advance beyond a certain point.

Second......if there is EVER such a thing as an "all cadet" anything......you are doing it wrong!
I got the regs to back it up.

Elioron

Quote from: lordmonar on October 21, 2013, 09:07:55 PM
First.....there is a difference between "we put on a big thing.....and people came from far away" and "Everyone needs to put on a big thing".

As Eclipse points out.....many units are "struggling"...that is they are small and have no desire/motivation/ability to expand.

Making small units do big things......is not the answer to promoting an environment where cadets want to advance beyond a certain point.

Second......if there is EVER such a thing as an "all cadet" anything......you are doing it wrong!
I got the regs to back it up.

I was always taught that if you aren't willing to change something, don't complain about it.  All I did was provide ideas for what has worked.  If you don't want to do it then don't, but criticizing others because you aren't willing to try their ideas is not warranted.

We do that "big thing" every year, and we do it primarily to give our cadets leadership opportunities and to bring in leaders from elsewhere.  The All Cadet SAREX has been held several times and is very successful.  If you're going to get hung up on the name without any information about it (other than driving distance), there really isn't much I can do for you.

Nowhere did I say that everyone "needs" to do anything.  The bottom line is that if there is a willingness, people can make it happen.  Excuses are simply reasons for being unwilling.  You can't force others to change.  If they lack motivation they won't succeed anyway.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
PCR-WA-019