Cadet PT Mandatory ??

Started by PilotMan, October 10, 2013, 04:46:32 AM

PilotMan

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 10, 2013, 07:59:52 PM
If the cadet quits over this, then he's being a hotheaded teenager. Unless there is a legitimate reason not to, "I already have the credit" goes back to the check box mentality. Good on the CDC.

Lost me a bit there....... :o

So a standoff going nose to nose is better than showing composure and working through issues?  We have the advantage as we have gone through puberty and don't have to deal with the hormones.  Acting like an adult in this situation would make a better DCC and eventually impress on that cadet that keeping his cool is always best.

Майор Хаткевич

The cadet was being lazy. He refused an order without good reason provided. What more is there to it?

Garibaldi

Quote from: Ned on October 10, 2013, 06:01:47 AM
Quote from: Garibaldi on October 10, 2013, 04:57:48 AM

DCC...for that matter, any SM, cannot "order" cadets or even other seniors to do anything.

Seriously?  Why do you say that?

Don't cadets swear to "obey my officers" as part of the Cadet Oath?

It doesn't make much sense to swear to obey officers if the officers cannot issue orders that require obedience.

What am I missing?

Standing corrected.

This example was a little hazy to me. What I IMAGINED happened was that the DCC saw a cadet malingering and puffed up his feathers and tried to enforce his authority, of which he has some. What ACTUALLY happened was quite different. HOWEVER, having said that, I stand by my statement that the CoC goes both ways. DCC shouldn't have shortcut the situation and should have passed the order down his chain and let the cadet staff deal with it.

As far as why the cadet felt he didn't need to participate, that's immaterial. He knows what the schedule for the meeting is, what is expected of him, and he flat out refused to participate. Hormones, attitude, whatever. He was given an opportunity, couched as an order or strongly worded suggestion, refused to do as he was told, and was informed of the consequences of his action or inaction.

Ned is correct, and I was not. Cadets are in the program to develop themselves into "dynamic Americans and aerospace leaders", if that's even part of the CP mission statement anymore. Cadets who buck the system have no place in the program, if they don't learn that there are peers who are in "control" of them for a limited span of hours in a week. Lack of respect for a senior officer, much less an adult, is something I addressed in another unrelated topic. As an example, I was the very model of a bad cadet. I progressed very slowly, getting 4 stripes in 5 years. I was insubordinate, both to my superior cadets and to some seniors, disrespectful to the point where the cadet staff would try to...well, if what happened then happened now, it wouldn't be pretty. Yet, I both learned and did not learn. I learned that every action has a consequence, but didn't learn to apply that lesson to my life as a cadet; hence, extreme violations of CPP if it had existed back then. I never did shape up as a cadet, and realistically shouldn't have been allowed to continue in the program as long as I did. This cadet either will learn, or he will not, in which case he needs to figure out if he really should stay, or join another organization where his actions will be the rule rather than the exception.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

When this become a "stand off"?  Who lost their composure?  Both assume facts not in evidence.

Clearly you have an opinion and there's apparently more to this story then the information provided.

Honestly, why do people make obscure posts and then trickle information as it becomes necessary to make their argument or point. Jimmydeano is right.

It's PT night - everybody runs. Review the cadet oath and put on your PT gear.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

When I was a CDC one of my goals was that we would stop having every cadet do the CPFT every month if they needed it or not... and instead have the cadets who have met their CPFT for their next achievement do some other cadet led fitness activity, usually sports.  This got us away from wasting time testing cadets who didn't need it, but emphasized the fitness goals of the program.

IIRC, CAPR 52-16 used to suggest devoting a whole meeting a month to fitness activities... Not sure I agree with that, but I was exempt for all of my cadet daze... I could be biased.
Mike Johnston

Elioron

Quote from: MIKE on October 11, 2013, 03:51:33 PM
When I was a CDC one of my goals was that we would stop having every cadet do the CPFT every month if they needed it or not... and instead have the cadets who have met their CPFT for their next achievement do some other cadet led fitness activity, usually sports.  This got us away from wasting time testing cadets who didn't need it, but emphasized the fitness goals of the program.

IIRC, CAPR 52-16 used to suggest devoting a whole meeting a month to fitness activities... Not sure I agree with that, but I was exempt for all of my cadet daze... I could be biased.

We typically devote one meeting to PT.  The first half is testing and the second half is either games or exercises as a squadron.  All cadets participate in the testing to encourage their peers and monitor their own progress.  Passing is not the actual goal - doing their best is the goal.  Ideally their best is enough to pass but even if it isn't they are pushing themselves to improve.

The main exception is on the mile run when everyone is running together.  We often have cadets that have passed or already finished run with the slower cadets to help encourage them.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

ytaylor01

For your PT nights, do you have the SM's administer the testing (timing, writing down results, etc.) or do you have the Cadets?  I have read the regulations many times but there seems to be an interpretion difference amongst us SM's.  Thanks much,
1 Lt Yvonne S. Taylor
PDO, DDRO, Cadet Programs
Kona Composite Squadron
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

SarDragon

Quote from: ytaylor01 on November 04, 2013, 07:05:27 AM
For your PT nights, do you have the SM's administer the testing (timing, writing down results, etc.) or do you have the Cadets?  I have read the regulations many times but there seems to be an interpretion difference amongst us SM's.  Thanks much,

All emphasis is mine.

From 20-1:
Leadership Education Officer (Applicable to Cadet and Composite Squadrons Only)
Responsible for leadership laboratory and physical fitness training of CAP cadets to include:
Proper wear of the CAP uniform.
Customs and courtesies of the service.
Leadership techniques and activities.
Physical fitness.
Squadron drill team.
The leadership officer should be familiar with CAPM 39-1, CAPR 52-16, CAPP 216 and other CAP directives in the 52 and 160 series and particularly with the cadet leadership textbooks located on the national cadet programs website.

From 50-16:
5-8. Protocols for the Cadet Physical Fitness Test. The Cadet Program's physical fitness element is evaluated through a performance test based on the President's Challenge program. Cadets assigned to Physical Fitness Categories I, II and III (see paragraph 2-12) must pass the Cadet Physical Fitness Test (CPFT), as required by their category, in order to complete each achievement and milestone award.
a. Events. The CPFT consists of four events; the sit and reach, curl-ups, push-ups, and a mile run or a shuttle run. For test standards and instructions on how to perform each event, see CAPP 52-18.
b. Test Administration. CAP-USAF members, CAP senior members (who need not be assigned as test control officers) and physical education teachers are authorized to administer the CPFT. Cadets may assist in proctoring the CPFT under the supervision of the test administrator.

Edited to add:

From CAPP52-18:

Test Administrators. The CPFT must be administered by a senior member, who need not be the unit's
testing officer; a CAP-USAF member; or with the unit commander's approval, a physical education teacher.
Cadets may assist in proctoring the CPFT under the supervision of the test administrator.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

coudano

At my squadron, the cadets (first sergeant) "assist" to the tune of about 99% of doing everything related to the CPFT.
A senior member (leadership officer) is present during the administration and actively paying attention to make sure nobody is sluffing, or pencil-whipping, and that risk levels stay within tolerance (safety).  Multiple events are usually going on simultaneously, and cadets (or the partner who counted reps for them) usually write their own scores.

Violating the letter of the law?

Still have to have a senior member enter the data, using the multi-entry pass/fail form in e-services.  I'd have a cadet do this too, but you have to do something along the lines of logging in as a senior member with permissions and then letting a cadet use the credentials to enter the data.  That just hasn't been practical so far, so we don't do that, the leadership officer enters the data for now.

Check out this thing for scoring lots of people at once (and auto-emailing them their results).
http://archive.cadetstuff.org/pt/
It doesn't put the data in e-services but it gives you a list of people who passed, that you can cut/paste into the multi-entry app.

Майор Хаткевич

There's a pt chart in cadet reports on eservices I always print day of.