New Members and the Shutdown

Started by AALTIS, October 04, 2013, 12:57:34 PM

Private Investigator

Quote from: stillamarine on October 04, 2013, 02:04:31 PMThis includes the National Academy which is a huge deal. They had a class report Monday. They sat around til today hoping to be able to start and were sent home today. That's 250 executive level law enforcements officers from around the world. Their instructors were furloughed.

When I was a young cop I thought the NA would really create a better breed of Chief/Sheriff. Now after 30+ years, it is something to put on your resume. If you were a 'good ole boy' and/or had issues before NA, you had the same issues afterwards. JMHO YMMV   8)

stillamarine

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 05, 2013, 03:04:57 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on October 04, 2013, 02:04:31 PMThis includes the National Academy which is a huge deal. They had a class report Monday. They sat around til today hoping to be able to start and were sent home today. That's 250 executive level law enforcements officers from around the world. Their instructors were furloughed.

When I was a young cop I thought the NA would really create a better breed of Chief/Sheriff. Now after 30+ years, it is something to put on your resume. If you were a 'good ole boy' and/or had issues before NA, you had the same issues afterwards. JMHO YMMV   8)

Oh that's the truth. But if you have aspirations to be a chief you gotta have it.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Quote from: stillamarine on October 05, 2013, 01:40:26 PM

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 05, 2013, 02:46:02 AM
If they're not being paid, they're not supposed to be working.

The only people being paid is the military. The rest of the fed employees are working free for the time being. Those Capitol Police everyone saw on national tv the other day are in the same position. Working for free and putting their lives on the line for the people holding up their checks.

Not a 100% true.

I was suppose to have my Army Reserve Drill this weekend. Like most Reservist and Guardsmen, first weekend of the month unless a Holiday weekend.

Drill was cancelled. So not all the Military is being paid.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Майор Хаткевич

Critical AOA

Quote from: SarDragon on October 05, 2013, 01:36:25 AM
People who are laid off are no longer employees. They sever relations with the company. When they return to the company, they are rehired, and go through almost everything new hires go through.

The folks who have been furloughed remain employees, and do not have to go through a rehire process to return to work.

Laid off is equivalent to being furloughed, not fired.  If you are terminated or resign, relations are severed.  If you are laid-off or furloughed, you do not sever relations.  When I was laid off and later recalled, I did not have to go through any of the new hire processes.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

SarDragon

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 05, 2013, 08:42:37 PM
AD is.

Check out my link.

Bottom line - authorization is in place, implementation is not.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on October 05, 2013, 08:44:37 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 05, 2013, 01:36:25 AM
People who are laid off are no longer employees. They sever relations with the company. When they return to the company, they are rehired, and go through almost everything new hires go through.

The folks who have been furloughed remain employees, and do not have to go through a rehire process to return to work.

Laid off is equivalent to being furloughed, not fired.  If you are terminated or resign, relations are severed.  If you are laid-off or furloughed, you do not sever relations.  When I was laid off and later recalled, I did not have to go through any of the new hire processes.

Well, that's not how it worked for me. I did keep all my longevity at each rehire, but my 401k was shut off, and, depending on the period of layoff, I had to repeat drug screening, and one time had to renew my security clearance screening. I worked for a gov't. contractor.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Shuman 14

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 05, 2013, 08:42:37 PM
AD is.
Correct, but not all, which was the point of the post.

Also, a lot of Miltechs were sent home and some AGRs as well. It's having a huge impact on the Reserves and Guard which is effecting readiness.

After all, we're an "Operational Reserve" now... aren't we?  ;)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

abdsp51

Gotta love how POTUS says yes pay the Mil but DFAs says no.

Eclipse

House votes to give back pay to Federal workers after shutdown ends:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303722604579117282938242994.html

"WASHINGTON—The House voted Saturday to provide back pay to furloughed federal workers once the partial government shutdown ends, the latest in a rapid-fire series of spending measures designed to minimize the effects of the closure.

The vote was 407-0. The White House has come out in support of guaranteeing retroactive pay, one of the few moments of agreement between the parties in the crisis.

The Senate doesn't yet have the agreement needed to approve the measure this weekend, and the timing of any final passage remained unclear."

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 05, 2013, 03:45:12 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on October 05, 2013, 02:46:02 AM
If they're not being paid, they're not supposed to be working.

Unless they're considered "essential personnel" which gives them the great benefit of being required to work without being paid for it.

It's not essential, it's "excepted" and "non-excepted".  Non-excepted federal personnel are furloughed - no work, no pay.  Excepted personnel (I am one) are working, but will not get paid until either a budget (right!) or a continuing resolution is signed.  It's not "come to work, but you're not getting paid", it's "come to work and we'll pay you later".

Excruciating detail available here: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/furlough-guidance/#url=Shutdown-Furlough
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Critical AOA

Well, if they have decided to pay them then put them back to work.  This really shows how stupid our government is.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Private Investigator

Private Investigator

Quote from: stillamarine on October 05, 2013, 04:05:57 PM

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 05, 2013, 03:04:57 PM

Oh that's the truth. But if you have aspirations to be a chief you gotta have it.

Roger that, I got applications out in the smaller places, Mayberry and Petticoat Junction.  8)

Eclipse

The whole thing is just a political sham & shame.

The debt ceiling, defunding legal programs, blah, blah, blah.  All just ploys to keep pushing off the fixes, avoid uncomfortable
conversations, and stay in office.

Your pet project is FW&A, mine is critical to my district the country.  Rinse, repeat.

Meanwhile, real people with little recourse are hurt along the way, and our standing in the world community is negatively affected.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: flyer333555 on October 05, 2013, 04:09:43 AM
That will not happen in the private sector. That is what the private sector does not know, care, or understand about public employees. That is why the public unions make so much noise during contract negotiations.

Not necessarily.  Both my wife and I have it explicitly stated in our (non-government) job descriptions that we're "essential employees" and we're expected to report to work during area or weather-related emergencies unless our bosses tell us specifically to stay home.

Patterson

Things brings up the question of updating our membership processing system.  Seems redundant that a Unit Commander approves, verifies and signs a new Cadets application (essentially completing all application requirements), but there is an added extra step of sending the application to Maxwell (most likely for ensuring Corporate CAP gets its cash). Perhaps a new, all electronic membership application system needs to be invented; eliminating the requirement to send applications to NHQ?

Ned

Quote from: Patterson on October 08, 2013, 10:00:39 PM
Perhaps a new, all electronic membership application system needs to be invented; eliminating the requirement to send applications to NHQ?

No "perhaps" about it.

Development is well underway.