Correct Shade of BBDU

Started by radioguy, August 26, 2013, 07:48:50 PM

radioguy

I'm shopping for BBDU's and just purchased/received a set from a web vendor (BDU.com).  When I ordered, I had to choose between LAPD navy or Dark navy.  I chose LAPD navy based on the fact that the color example on the web site appeared much closer to the CAP shade than the example for the Dark navy color.   WRONG!  When the BBDU's arrived, the color of the LAPD navy fabric is VERY dark - even outdoors.

So it looks like I'll be returning this set of BBDU's and here's the question...  Can anyone verify the Propper BBDU color that is most similar to the "official" BBDU's sold by Vanguard?  I'm reluctant to pick another "navy" shade from the web since the Dark navy example on the web site appeared to be nearly black.  If Propper does not offer the correct (or very close) shade of blue for CAP, are other options available?  I'd rather not order from Vanguard due to the fact that they offer BBDU's only in winter-weight fabric.

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Майор Хаткевич

Navy is the color you need. Anything LAPD or Dark is, you guessed it, too dark. That said, I was ONLY able to find matching (Not really) sets on BDU.com in Winter weight.

Edit: Also recently made an order with Rothco for summer weight blouse/pants. What a mistake. It was more grey than blue, and the pants and the blouse were MILES apart in colors. I'm going to stick to winter weight.

Eclipse

The last time I bought them them from BDU.com, in 2009, this was the SKU: F5201124123XL3, which doesn't appear to be offered anymore...

If it were me, I'd probably go with the "dark navy" and call it a day.  There's no real "spec" on the color, and having things a hair darker
will just mean they look newer.  After a washing or two they will likely be fine.  At least they won't wind up baby blue like some I've seen.

These Tru-Specs look like they would be fine.
http://www.lapolicegear.com/truspec-bdupant.html

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I got Proppers a while back, through Vanguard, and they have done pretty well not fading. There's no specific color name on the tag.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on August 26, 2013, 09:19:06 PM
I got Proppers a while back, through Vanguard, and they have done pretty well not fading. There's no specific color name on the tag.

Yeah, I went down to the basement command center and checked mine - nothing about color.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

FWIW, the further you get from Los Angeles, the more you see "LAPD Blue" used as a color name by uniform suppliers. The more commonly used term in L. A. is "midnight navy." 

So, if LAPD Blue doesn't work for you, midnight navy probably won't, either.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

♠SARKID♠

I've purchased a few pairs of the BBDUs from Propper recently. "Dark Navy" is what you want. I recommend you get the ones labeled as "65/35 Poly/Cotton Battle Rip". The Battle Rip fabric stays pretty cool, is really comfortable, and the price is right. I don't know about fade, I only wear my BDUs on mission.

Spaceman3750

I buy the dark navy poly/cotton rip stop. Good stuff.

skymaster

By "Dark Navy" listed previously, is that meant to refer to Propper Shade 405, as listed below, or some other shade of blue?

This is, by the way, a scan direct from the catalogue provided to military contractors, so the shades should be fairly accurate. They do match all the other shades that I have actual uniform material of on hand.

SarDragon

Mine are a bit lighter than the Dark Navy, but distinctly darker than the Cobalt Blue. The LAPD Navy is definitely too dark. That's the color of my olde Navy uniforms.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on August 26, 2013, 11:11:38 PM
Mine are a bit lighter than the Dark Navy, but distinctly darker than the Cobalt Blue. The LAPD Navy is definitely too dark. That's the color of my olde Navy uniforms.

LAPD Navy is essentially black in all but direct sunlight.

I'd guess it's 405.  The cobalt, at least in this example, is what they wind up looking like after not being washed properly.

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

"Dark Navy" is how you will find it described on any retail website that sells the stuff. I don't think Propper even makes them in the blues other than dark and LAPD. If you're still concerned, here's the links to the pages I got mine through. Select "Dark Navy" and you'll get exactly what I got.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/propper-bdu-4-pocket-coat-65-35-poly-cotton-battle-rip.html
http://www.opticsplanet.com/propper-bdu-trouser-65-35-poly-cotton-battle-rip.html

Major Carrales

BBDUS are not like BDUs which are mil spec, I am surprised at the variance in BBDUs I have seen.  Every shade from faded almost denim color to these dark shades.   Any time we go to suppliers outside of a "Standard" (like Vanguard) we are asking for these variations in color, quality (fading like the nearly denim colored ones) and wear resistance.

Some might say these are the curse of using civilian suppliers that conform only to 1) bottom line and 2) their own standards (high or low)

We had a similar debate on black boots.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

VG isn't a "standard" they are just reselling this stuff, and far too often it's Rothco junk.

Those are probably the ones you're seeing fading the most.  If you stick with Propper or Tru-Spec
you should be OK.

As to these being mil-spec, mine have the same guvmint tags in them as my camos.

"That Others May Zoom"

whatevah

I wear 5.11 at my 2 jobs, the full-time gig is black and the per-diem is "dark navy".  The colors are so close in normal home lighting, I had to look twice yesterday morning when I was groggily trying to get dressed for work. This was with their Taclite series, I've found the normal material to be a little lighter and will fade over time.  The Taclite seems to hold the color better.   Work issues the normal material but I pay out of pocket to get the Taclite.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Mela_007

The BBDUs I just bought from Vanguard are Propper Brand (60/40 Cotton Poly).
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

radioguy

Thanks everyone for all your comments and suggestions.  My new BBDU's arrived today and, as others have noted, the Propper "Dark Navy" shade appears to be just right!

Now I need to find someone to sew all of those patches on...

a2capt

radioguy

Thanks A2... That's what I call truly personalized service!