The National Commander Reads This Forum

Started by lordmonar, August 19, 2013, 09:26:03 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: stillamarine on August 21, 2013, 05:47:25 PM

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2013, 05:32:18 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 21, 2013, 05:16:53 PMThe appearance of bashing, dare I say hazing, a cadet is enough to cause damage to the program.  Put and end to that sort of thing.

If it ever comes up, we should be sure to point it out.  Haven't seen anything but cordial conversations and appropriate
questions / corrections here any time recently.

Cordial is not what comes to mind after the recent thread that was locked.

Nor was it hazing or bashing...

Alaric

Quote from: NCRblues on August 21, 2013, 06:05:50 PM
Just in case anyone wants to pretend to be the national commander...the die made to use pinedas national/cc coins is for sale on eBay. You could start churning them out ASAP!!  >:D

So is the coin he used as a proof

Major Carrales

The point is being tactful and professional when correcting anyone.  Far too many people here are more about "one-upsmanship" than correcting people for faux pas.  Every post we write should be written as if the National Commander is reading it and that it is being written by a responsible CAP officer or cadet.   Why, because that is integrity.   If someone posts a reply that is steeped in banality or vitriol...don't negate your high ground by contributing to that.  Instead send a private messagse to them and threadsters that reply in the wrong.   Don't make a scene that reflects the base levels if humanity.    Don't attack people or be smug.   Debate...do not argue.  Solve problems, do not add to them.  Correct the misinformation of know-it-alls...don't become worse then them with arrogance of your own.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

abdsp51

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 21, 2013, 09:14:55 PM
The point is being tactful and professional when correcting anyone.  Far too many people here are more about "one-upsmanship" than correcting people for faux pas.  Every post we write should be written as if the National Commander is reading it and that it is being written by a responsible CAP officer or cadet.   Why, because that is integrity.   If someone posts a reply that is steeped in banality or vitriol...don't negate your high ground by contributing to that.  Instead send a private messagse to them and threadsters that reply in the wrong.   Don't make a scene that reflects the base levels if humanity.    Don't attack people or be smug.   Debate...do not argue.  Solve problems, do not add to them.  Correct the misinformation of know-it-alls...don't become worse then them with arrogance of your own.

Sir, I can agree with the bulk of what you are saying but truthfully sometimes you just have to be blunt and to the point with people.  Being that MajGen Carr is a prior defender I am sure that he would understand reading here that when the attempt has been made to be polite, tactful, and not try to _______ (insert blank) that gears were switched to communicate the message for a individual/s that just don't get it.

stillamarine

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 22, 2013, 02:35:05 PM

Sir, I can agree with the bulk of what you are saying but truthfully sometimes you just have to be blunt and to the point with people.  Being that MajGen Carr is a prior defender I am sure that he would understand reading here that when the attempt has been made to be polite, tactful, and not try to _______ (insert blank) that gears were switched to communicate the message for a individual/s that just don't get it.

Then take it to pm. Because it makes you look like an......well I'm not gonna say it because I don't want to be banned.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

johnnyb47

Quote from: stillamarine on August 22, 2013, 04:53:41 PM

Then take it to pm. Because it makes you look like an......well I'm not gonna say it because I don't want to be banned.

"I went to CAPTalk and asked a question in the (xyz) forum.... and the next thing I knew, nine lieutenants, five captains, three majors, and one very fat colonel who called me a... "cheeky fellow" all started sending me PM's!. I ran for my LIFE!"

Yeah... THERE'S a lawsuit waiting to happen.

(bonus points to anyone who gets the reference) :D
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Майор Хаткевич

On top of that....PMS to cadets under the new CPP will be problematic.

Alaric

Quote from: johnnyb47 on August 22, 2013, 05:49:03 PM

"I went to CAPTalk and asked a question in the (xyz) forum.... and the next thing I knew, nine lieutenants, five captains, three majors, and one very fat colonel who called me a... "cheeky fellow" all started sending me PM's!. I ran for my LIFE!"

Yeah... THERE'S a lawsuit waiting to happen.

(bonus points to anyone who gets the reference) :D

The Patriot - Benjamin Martin to General Cornwallis

abdsp51

Sure as soon as their parent/s sign up for an account here and can be cc'd. 

Майор Хаткевич

Major Carrales

The bottom line is for people on this forum to "behave" in an appropriate manner when making discussions or debates on topics.  All too often, as I have stated previously, it becomes more about that "high" a person thinks they get when they reply in a "grandiose" manner and revel in the replies.  Do not kid yourself, there is a high that distracts us when we are being passionate.  Ben Franklin said it best, "passion governs, and she never governs wisely."

This is where one needs to become a person of thought.  If you have something to say, do it "critically" (based on knowledge, working understanding, applciation, analysis and systhesis) so one can "step back" and evaluate their comment "before" it is made.

Yes, you have the right to an opinion, but you negate your position by bring banality into the equasion.

I find it odd many of you are arguing for banality, as it it was some virtue that helped us along...or built character.  On the contray, it does the exact opposite with the additional problem off allowing people across the web to read the "salvos" across the gulf of misunderstanding. 

As for cadets...

I think a good way to get in trouble is to start "calling them out" or calling them names.  You are, after all, attacking someone's "baby" who is a minor.  There is only a hollow victory in slamming a 14 year old when you are over 30.  They lack experience, they make faux pas and they make bad judgements from time to time because they start with 1) the inferiority complex brought on by wanting to please the people on here (after all, the National Commander may read this) and 2) a deep seeded need to respond to perceived insults.

If you "call them out," many do not have the tact to reply with reason, we then have the problem of their "free emotional outburst" triggering our need for  what duelists used to call "satisfaction."

Maybe cadets need not be posting here?  Especially if there is something no longer jiving with cadet protection policies and good convention.

That said, there are those posting with out identity or under false identity who say things just to rile you all up.  Sometimes, many times...they are very effective in making others "lose their cool,"  The result reflects badly on CAP.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Майор Хаткевич

I'm under 30! Guess I can still get some satisfaction out of it!

a2capt

Perhaps another way .. would you (being whoever), "act like this, at your meeting, standing in front of the room?" when talking to command, subordinates, anyone?

If no, then why are you posting it online?

.. as I think of some of the things I see going on currently on some of the non-official CAP orientate Facebook pages.

Some of the comments from cadets is sketchy at best. Though I see the threads where CAPIDs of a few members of the Legislative Squadron were displayed in screenshots, and followed by some questionable, unprofessional comments, are gone.

Social Media is the 10 ton gorilla that will never be contained.

abdsp51

Sir, a good majority of the cadets who come here and post and ask questions do so and do not carry the tude displayed by a few and especially the latest one.  From what I have seen poster will respond and act in an appropriate manner with regard to all involved.

There are fauz pa's and mistakes made, it's when cadets do not see the error of their ways and keep going that usually results in the change of approach.  Mistakes can be and from what I have seen here are forgive when the party in general owns up to what they did and humbles themselves.

Calling people out well, sorry but that's life if a person whether it be cadet or senior can't or won't accept being called out on their behavior especially when they are blatantly in the wrong then they will have a rough road ahead of them, especially when being called out is part of them being held accountable for what they have done or said.

Can some of the comments members have posted be construed as harsh, sure but I will say that many times the said target of those comments were well deserving of them. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 22, 2013, 08:00:59 PM

I was waiting for a post like this, Logan.  Youth is no excuse for uncouth! 20-Something is where and when you define yourself.   By the way, Carrousel is a lie!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 22, 2013, 08:51:46 PM
Calling people out well, sorry but that's life if a person whether it be cadet or senior can't or won't accept being called out on their behavior especially when they are blatantly in the wrong then they will have a rough road ahead of them, especially when being called out is part of them being held accountable for what they have done or said.

Can some of the comments members have posted be construed as harsh, sure but I will say that many times the said target of those comments were well deserving of them.

Calling people out in a private setting for the purpose of learning and correcting wrong information...GOOD!

Calling people out publically for the purpose of "getting their goat" or "making an example, well... NOT SO MUCH!

I have long noted that many Cadets and New CAP Senior Members come here asking for help.  They legitimately have questions.  Since they are ignorant (not possessing of CAP culture, vocabulary and familiarity) "search features" only make them more confused.  They come here, with a viable question on a subject expecting to be helped by "brother and sister CAP airmen."  The result is usually a very curt...  "go look it up" or "this is beating a dead horse."  The result is that they either never come back (sometimes it just turns them off to CAP period and now we lost some one) or they are now always on the defensive.

It is also a situation in here that there are some people who can carry any opinion, idea or make almost any remark with nothing more than a chuckle or good natured agreement or disagreement.  Whereas, a newbie will make a remark and suffer the slings and arrows of the full force of "salvo."  I will chalk that up to those older threadsters having "earned some forum 'capital'" and, due to experience in the forum and through observation of personality.  However, we cannot "eat our young."  When new people come in to the forum welcome them.  Don't start, immediately, forming an ironclad opinion based on some initial thing they said that was contrary to your position on the subject.

As for cadets in this forum.  I have no objection to their presense and welcome their contributions pending two things 1) they exercise propriety and civility and 2) CAP national policy changes forbidding such contacts between cadets and senior that give the perception of lacking propriety.

Be civil to one another.  Cadets are people too, so are Senior Members who come here.  Remember the core value of respect.

When I first came here back in the day my initial reception was one of less than cordial expression form some.  My use of vocabulary gave off an arrogant tone (I guess) and my wearing of a service cap made cause some to label me (to the point of being lambasted as "sparky."  I took that insult and made it myown.   I also learned that I needed to put great care into my posts and remind myself to be CIVIL.  Sometimes I am good at that, other times I fail at it...but the call for the "high road" is always in my mind.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 22, 2013, 09:07:02 PM

I was waiting for a post like this, Logan.  Youth is no excuse for uncouth! 20-Something is where and when you define yourself.   By the way, Carrousel is a lie!

Who's Logan?

Major Carrales

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 23, 2013, 01:22:41 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 22, 2013, 09:07:02 PM

Who's Logan?

Look it up...lol   There is a clue in the post.  See if you can find it...as an exercise.  It should be easy.  Happy Googeling!  You will find it fitting to some of your posts.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"