Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

A fun way to learn:

http://thefump.com/fump.php?id=1205 - Power Salad's It's Its.

From another viewpoint:
Its or It's | Learn English | One Minute English

Add:

11. 'u' and 'r' are not words.

12. Don't be afraid of the SHIFT key. It's got great uses.

13. Contrary to popular belief, (I can't think of any other reason) there is not a shortage of punctuation. Use them.

The English language has only three single letter words.

A: an indefinite article.  He left a pencil on the table.
I: a nominative pronoun used when describing from a singular person context.
O: commonly used in poetry to translate Latin vocatively in the form of an interjection.

I and O are always capitalized when used, and A would be if of course, it was the beginning of the sentence or a title.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Hanger - Hook, peg, or device to hang coats, clothes, and other stuff, or the individual that hangs such stuff.

Hangar - Structure built to protect aircraft.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Jaison009

Thanks for sharing. It is amazing how far our grasp of English has slipped in the younger generations. There is someone on Ebay that is selling lots of CAP ribbons and cannot even spell the names of the persons the achievements are named after. I mean how hard is it to use spellcheck to spell Amelia Earhart, Eddie Rickenbacker, Robert Goddard, Charles Yeager, Charles Lindbergh, etc. These people only have significance to international history and all. Thanks for helping those who cannot write without using texting lingo.

Quote from: SarDragon on August 16, 2013, 01:40:10 AM

Critical AOA

Quote from: flyer333555 on August 16, 2013, 11:18:51 AM
Hanger - Hook, peg, or device to hang coats, clothes, and other stuff, or the individual that hangs such stuff.

Hangar - Structure built to protect aircraft.

Flyer

You would not believe how often I see that very misspelling from other aviation professionals along with adding an s to aircraft to make it plural.   
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Private Investigator

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer

Garibaldi

I actually understood each and every acronym PI put up. Well done, sir...well done.  :clap:
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Luis R. Ramos

Then please help us poor guys that are getting to be elderly... I am 58 and do not want or cannot do too much fast thinking... Do not want my remaining brain cells popping out.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Critical AOA

An acronym was when you created an actual pronounceable word from the first letters or parts of other words.  For example: radar, sonar, laser, etc. 

A string of letters that do not produce a pronounceable word is just an abbreviation.  For example: FAA, CIA and even POV.  You do not pronounce these; you just say the letters so they are not acronyms.

If you are using a number such as 8 to replace the letters in a word such as GR8 or using 2 rather than using to or too, you are just using internet slang.  These are not acronyms either. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Private Investigator

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 18, 2013, 02:50:33 AM
I actually understood each and every acronym PI put up. Well done, sir...well done.  :clap:

Your welcome sir.  :)

ColonelJack

Quote from: Private Investigator on August 18, 2013, 04:12:36 PM

His welcome what?   ;)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Critical AOA

Quote from: Private Investigator on August 18, 2013, 04:12:36 PM

Please see # 1 on the OP list.

ProdigalJim

It didn't take long to reach humiliation and embarrassment!  ;D
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

a2capt

QuoteYou're welcome, sir.  :)
#1 and #13.

Save a life use a comma.

Let's eat Mom!
Let's eat, Mom!

Private Investigator

bosshawk

flyer333555: at 58 you are still a kid.  Try 77.  I have no idea what some of those acronyms are.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 18, 2013, 02:01:36 PM

An acronym was when you created an actual pronounceable word from the first letters or parts of other words.  For example: radar, sonar, laser, etc. 

A string of letters that do not produce a pronounceable word is just an abbreviation.  For example: FAA, CIA and even POV.  You do not pronounce these; you just say the letters so they are not acronyms.

If you are using a number such as 8 to replace the letters in a word such as GR8 or using 2 rather than using to or too, you are just using internet slang.  These are not acronyms either.

Well, since someone brought it up, I'll jump in.

As noted, an acronym is a combination of first letters that makes a pronounceable word. The string of letters that does not produce a pronounceable word is called an initialism (GPS, FAA). An abbreviation is usually the first few letters of a single, followed by a period. Through usage, these distinctions have blurred over time.

As an aside, CAP, as used to refer to our organization, is NOT an acronym. I learned that WIWAC. You say each letter. One of my former wing commanders used to give a practical demonstration with his ball cap, when he heard people using CAP as an acronym. [Got my Nomex on!  >:D ]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

I really dislike it when people, especially members, refer to SEE-AY-PEE as "KAP".

Worse, in the last few months, Google has started interpreting searches for "Civil Air Patrol" as also being for "CAP" and bringing up hats.

eBay has been doing it as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jaison009

I hate that as well. When I am on EBay I put "Civil Air Patrol" and it narrows significantly. Google, not so much. 

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2013, 02:29:51 AM
I really dislike it when people, especially members, refer to SEE-AY-PEE as "KAP".

Worse, in the last few months, Google has started interpreting searches for "Civil Air Patrol" as also being for "CAP" and bringing up hats.

eBay has been doing it as well.

Critical AOA

Quote from: SarDragon on August 19, 2013, 02:24:09 AM
As an aside, CAP, as used to refer to our organization, is NOT an acronym. I learned that WIWAC. You say each letter. One of my former wing commanders used to give a practical demonstration with his ball cap, when he heard people using CAP as an acronym. [Got my Nomex on!  >:D ]

WIWAC - is that pronounced weewack?   >:D

Yep, when I was a cadet and even for years afterwards, I always heard C.A.P.  Now I hear cap from most members.   

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 19, 2013, 09:22:57 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 19, 2013, 02:24:09 AM

WIWAC - is that pronounced weewack?   >:D

Yep, when I was a cadet and even for years afterwards, I always heard C.A.P.  Now I hear cap from most members.

CAP irritates me to no end. We are not "Kap", "The KAP", "KAP members".

It is done one letter at a time, so "See Ay Pee" and so on.

As for WIWAC, it's sort of like "lol" to some people. Some say "El Oh el, others say it as "lol". For me, Weewack beats W - I - W- A - C by a mile.

a2capt

UH60guy

Quote from: a2capt on August 16, 2013, 02:52:04 AM

13. Contrary to popular belief, (I can't think of any other reason) there is not a shortage of punctuation. Use them.

Sometimes I think we have a surplus of punctuation. My pet peeve is the growing number of places that I find apostrophes used to make things plural.

As in: "CAP member's never commit punctuation infraction's."

For double demerits, the offenders often fail to maintain consistency in their error's and seemingly randomly apply the apostrophe like this.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

ProdigalJim

^^^^

As a professional words guy, this drives me especially nuts. It has always been a rather common error, but its prevalence seems to have increased and I think I know why: predictive typing and texting. A generation of young adults has grown up with predictive typing on their various devices and those systems invariably insert apostrophe S after [darn] near anything. Thus, people have become inured to it and gloss over it when they see it. I can't tell you how many interns have told me over the years that "the whole apostrophe rule thing is SO confusing!"

Oy gevalt!
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

a2capt

Seems to matter not anymore, a left over from the era of mechanical type setting, mono spaced fonts, and readability. Offering the eyeballs a breaking point.  But a funny way to look at the debate.

Майор Хаткевич

I always did one...no one told me to do it differently. Then I met two-spacers...

MIKE

I learned two spaces after a period, and one space after a comma.  Might be one of those MLA stylebook rules or something.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

Quote from: MIKE on November 05, 2013, 07:31:05 PM
I learned two spaces after a period, and one space after a comma.  Might be one of those MLA stylebook rules or something.

Did you learn that associated with a typewriter, or a computer? Typewriters are fixed pitch, computers are not, hence the change.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

UH60guy

I'm very much in the one-spacer camp. APA and Chicago style manuals back me up, probably others too.

What causes me great nerd rage in working in the Army- the Government Printing Office style guide states that one space shall be used. However, the Army (apparently we ain't gub-ment) regulation governing writing (AR 25-50) apparently knows better and dictates two spaces.

My private little shadow war involves deleting those extra spaces, in flagrant violation of Army Regulations, from every piece of correspondence I write or edit.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

JeffDG

Quote from: MIKE on November 05, 2013, 07:31:05 PM
That's the way I learned it too...and still use.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

There's only two choices.

The wrong way...

...or two spaces after a period.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

I learned when typing one Masters thesis, two spaces after periods. Then I started other Graduate college, and studied MLA and APA styles.Which stated basically that when typing up manuscripts with a typewriter you had to use two spaces after a period, but when computers you can use only one. The same resources also stated that typewriters and printing presses made difficult using italics, you underlined titles. However because of advances in printers what was before underlined can now be italicized only. And that is how I have been doing it since 1988...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Jaison009

Actually the latest edition of APA requires double spacing and two spaces after a period.  :angel:. Hopefully after my MBA is done in February I will never have to use it again. :)

Quote from: UH60guy on November 05, 2013, 08:20:56 PM
I'm very much in the one-spacer camp. APA and Chicago style manuals back me up, probably others too.

What causes me great nerd rage in working in the Army- the Government Printing Office style guide states that one space shall be used. However, the Army (apparently we ain't gub-ment) regulation governing writing (AR 25-50) apparently knows better and dictates two spaces.

My private little shadow war involves deleting those extra spaces, in flagrant violation of Army Regulations, from every piece of correspondence I write or edit.

Panache

Quote from: a2capt on November 05, 2013, 07:06:13 PM

You would think that the two-spaces-after-a-period camp would be the ones with the spear.

Eclipse

Quote from: Panache on November 06, 2013, 04:29:13 AM
You would think that the two-spaces-after-a-period camp would be the ones with the spear.

Bring correct gives their sword force power!

"That Others May Zoom"

UH60guy

Quote from: Jaison009 on November 06, 2013, 04:24:49 AM
Actually the latest edition of APA requires double spacing and two spaces after a period.  :angel:. Hopefully after my MBA is done in February I will never have to use it again. :)

Yeah I saw that after I wrote the post- When I did my Masters thesis I was on I think APA version 4, I can't remember- It was 2009. I could have sworn I saw it in there for a single space. Well, I did single space at the time and still got the degree :)

However, that thesis was an exercise in another grammatical problem: "Data" is plural, folks. You say the "data are" or the "data indicate" if you want to be correct. My thesis prep class drilled that home. I admit, I have to say "dogs" in place of "data" under my breath when reading it to get the tenses straight in my mind. After all of that, the thesis committee told me to change it all to "data is" and the "data indicates." Well, it was either fight to my dying breath to be right on another series of revisions, or as the saying goes "cooperate to graduate."

Pride? Swallowed. Degree? Attained.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Eclipse

Data can be plural or singular depending on its usage, unless I suppose, you're writing in Latin.

"That Others May Zoom"

UH60guy

Yeah, I guess the usage has evolved over time. Both ways can be considered correct (depending on the reviewing authority's guidelines) as long as the other words in the sentence match the tense- "much of this data are" is wrong, but "many of these data are" is acceptable. Switch around if you use the singular "data." It's frustrating for the student to get caught in the middle of the acceptable use debate between members of the review committee though!
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Майор Хаткевич

Four years of college. MLA. No one mentioned period spacing.

Jaison009

It's all about the piece of paper in the end  ;). I have been involved in a few of those battles myself. My wife is working on a Doctorate of Nurse Practice and it is the worst. Saying "indicated by" is an absolute no. APA is currently up to V6 now and V7 will probably be out in the next few years.

Quote from: UH60guy on November 06, 2013, 01:20:06 PM
Quote from: Jaison009 on November 06, 2013, 04:24:49 AM

Yeah I saw that after I wrote the post- When I did my Masters thesis I was on I think APA version 4, I can't remember- It was 2009. I could have sworn I saw it in there for a single space. Well, I did single space at the time and still got the degree :)

However, that thesis was an exercise in another grammatical problem: "Data" is plural, folks. You say the "data are" or the "data indicate" if you want to be correct. My thesis prep class drilled that home. I admit, I have to say "dogs" in place of "data" under my breath when reading it to get the tenses straight in my mind. After all of that, the thesis committee told me to change it all to "data is" and the "data indicates." Well, it was either fight to my dying breath to be right on another series of revisions, or as the saying goes "cooperate to graduate."

Pride? Swallowed. Degree? Attained.

Jaison009

That is because it is mainly an APA thing. Unless you use the APA style, it is usually not something that comes up.
Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 06, 2013, 03:00:12 PM
Four years of college. MLA. No one mentioned period spacing.

Eclipse

I know it "is", but interesting a guide for writing articles for a publication few people have heard of and fewer will ever read is considered
an authority on general writing and publication.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

I just got into a "grammar argument" with somebody because I used a single apostrophe to mark a possessive with a person whose name ended with an "s" (example: "That is Jones' cat") instead of an apostrophe-S ("That is Jones's cat").

Apparently, both styles are right, depending on local preferences.

RRLE

Quote from: UH60guy on September 10, 2013, 05:18:32 PMSometimes I think we have a surplus of punctuation. My pet peeve is the growing number of places that I find apostrophes used to make things plural.

Apostrophe Protection Society

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on November 06, 2013, 04:52:16 AM

Does than mean we get lightsabers?  And if so, what color?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Peeka

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 08, 2013, 01:26:28 AM

Blue and green for the cadets.

Red for the senior members.  >:D

Garibaldi

Quote from: Peeka on November 08, 2013, 02:43:11 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on November 08, 2013, 01:26:28 AM

Blue and green for the cadets.

Red for the senior members.  >:D

Double-bladed red, thank you.

Peeka

Garibaldi

a2capt

SarDragon

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Eclipse

One issue is that it is hard to tell legitimate hyperbole, or the incorrect use of a term to make a point,
from the chaff of the poor grammar and spelling in use by many people who wear adult clothes but
speak and write like a 4th grader.

I think, for example, that "literally + 'x' (exploded)" started as extreme hyperbole, used by people who
knew it was incongruent, but it got picked up into the lexicon and is now misused by people
who don't understand the word "literally".

"That Others May Zoom"

Jaison009

I would agree with that point Eclipse.

Quote from: Eclipse on February 21, 2014, 06:33:34 PM
One issue is that it is hard to tell legitimate hyperbole, or the incorrect use of a term to make a point,
from the chaff of the poor grammar and spelling in use by many people who wear adult clothes but
speak and write like a 4th grader.

I think, for example, that "literally + 'x' (exploded)" started as extreme hyperbole, used by people who knew
knew it was incongruent, but it got picked up into the lexicon and is now misused by people
who don't understand the word "literally".