Main Menu

Table-top Wind Tunnel

Started by FlyTiger77, June 28, 2013, 11:48:47 AM

FlyTiger77

Has anyone built a table-top wind tunnel? If so, how well received were the activities you used it for?

I would like to see one used as the cornerstone of a program to rejuvenate AE in my group. Thoughts/ideas?
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

JeffDG

You gotta have some folks at TN-036 who know this stuff pretty well...

coudano

We messed with it at our squadron some years ago,
didn't have much luck getting any more wind speed off of the "tunnel" than we did directly off the fan(s)

It was fun trying, though (which is probably more what matters, as a squadron activity)

SarDragon

Check out the NASA Ames site. They used to have some good descriptions of the tunnels there, and the mechanics of how they work.

The two critical items in construction are the area ration between the inlet and the constricted section (more constriction is better), and the air volume. Small house fans won't hack it. You at least need one of the big floor fans they call "hurricane fans." Ity needs to be enclosed in the inlet duct. A flow straightener helps, too.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Critical AOA

As far as AE activities... that one kinda blows. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Huey Driver

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on June 28, 2013, 09:55:31 PM
As far as AE activities... that one kinda blows.

:D

We have cadet-built one at my squadron, and we use it in classes probably 3-4 times per year. We also will fire it up for a moment just to demonstrate some theories in the AE books.

There's a good amount of things you can do with it, like having the cadets design airfoils out of foam or whatnot, and (with a scale), measure the effectiveness and why, or gluing strings to the top surface to understand stalls and critical aoa, etc. Be crafty with it!
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

FlyTiger77

Quote from: JerseyCadet on June 29, 2013, 02:44:18 AM
We have cadet-built one at my squadron..

I would be interested in seeing a picture or two of it if you care to share.

Quote from: SarDragon on June 28, 2013, 09:47:43 PM
Check out the NASA Ames site. They used to have some good descriptions of the tunnels there, and the mechanics of how they work.

The two critical items in construction are the area ration between the inlet and the constricted section (more constriction is better), and the air volume. Small house fans won't hack it. You at least need one of the big floor fans they call "hurricane fans." Ity needs to be enclosed in the inlet duct. A flow straightener helps, too.

Thanks. I am looking for flow straightener ideas. I am going to try a ventilation fan from an old Army indoor rifle range--it may not move an adequate volume, but it is worth a shot as the price was right.

SarDragon

I can't find the olde articles on the tunnels, but as I recall, the straighteners were as long as one side of the duct entrance. For a table top system, half that might work.

Check out the Wikipedia article on wind tunnels. It has some good basic info, and a bunch of references.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

UH60guy

Do drinking straws work as a cheap flow straightener? Can get a pack of 500 at WallyWorld for just a few bucks, and that's at least about 4-5 square inches of straight straws. Not sure if they add too much constriction though.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

a2capt

I still want to build a back yard version for testing R/C aircraft designs. :)

I've got 3D foam cutters and a laser cutter. Now to test the outcomes :)

MacGruff

Quote from: UH60guy on July 11, 2013, 04:25:17 PM
Do drinking straws work as a cheap flow straightener? Can get a pack of 500 at WallyWorld for just a few bucks, and that's at least about 4-5 square inches of straight straws. Not sure if they add too much constriction though.

Not really. But if you can get a plastic grid with rectangular holes in to that you can attach to the air intake, that would work.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: MacGruff on July 11, 2013, 11:32:39 PM

Not really. But if you can get a plastic grid with rectangular holes in to that you can attach to the air intake, that would work.

We were discussing using the rectangular grids used in some commercial indoor light fixtures cut to size and maybe doubled or tripled in thickness. I was also considering something like model rocket tubes, but it seems to me that it would be difficult to determine the optimum diameter (too large and it wouldn't straighten the flow where too small would impede the flow too much).

We are moving forward with it. It should be a fun project.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: MacGruff on July 11, 2013, 11:32:39 PM

A lot of people use the straw straighteners.  They're cheap, readily available, and will serve the purpose of a DIY wind tunnel.  I'd give it a shot, and make another lesson out of it if they don't work.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BHartman007

Perhaps you could cut pieces of PVC pipe? You can get in in several sizes and it's cheap.

I may try to design one. As an HVAC guy I have access to all sorts of stuff that would work for this.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

SarDragon

Quote from: BHartman007 on July 12, 2013, 04:21:07 AM
Perhaps you could cut pieces of PVC pipe? You can get in in several sizes and it's cheap.

I may try to design one. As an HVAC guy I have access to all sorts of stuff that would work for this.

You would need to use the thin wall stuff to reduce drag. Round straighteners do add more surface area than rectangular ones. Look at pics of the big tunnels, and you'll see rectangles and squares.

What's the size of the inlet cross section? Fan size?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Honeycomb aluminum like from a radiator.

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on July 12, 2013, 05:16:27 AM
Honeycomb aluminum like from a radiator.

Maybe, but if you make it long enough to do a good job of straightening, it might create too much drag. Radiators need surface area, the straightener, not so much.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret