Main Menu

Lt Col Permanence

Started by jimmydeanno, June 24, 2013, 03:14:04 AM

jimmydeanno

Just a quick question regarding Lt Col promotion permanence.  Is there a way to tell if it is permanent, or if the temporary promotion has been extended?  I'm past the one year mark, but haven't had anything said to me or brought up about it.  I don't see an obvious place in eservices to tell either.  Thoughts?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

One would suppose that if you have not heard otherwise it is permanent.

If your wing wanted to extend you or demote you and missed the window.....then it is their mistake.....at that point they can only demote you for cause.

YMMV.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

I want to say that I've read recently that now Lt Col has to be re-affirmed after one year to become permanent, perhaps that means that messages will be generated by eServices in preparation for that when those who fall under that starting coming up on their 1 year mark.

capmaj

a2capt's statement is correct. You will receive an e-services notification, but it will probably be a fair amount of time after the one year mark before you do.

flyboy53

I didn't get anything from e-services.

Generally, however, it's one year time in grade. Once that passes. You're permanent.

I just realized I now have four years time in grade....

jimmydeanno

Quote from: a2capt on June 24, 2013, 05:27:00 AM
I want to say that I've read recently that now Lt Col has to be re-affirmed after one year to become permanent, perhaps that means that messages will be generated by eServices in preparation for that when those who fall under that starting coming up on their 1 year mark.

Right, it's supposed to go to the Region Commander for revalidation.  I haven't received anything in terms of notification.  I'm still listed as a Lt Col, but I don't know if it was made permanent or if someone clicked the extend probation button.

I guess I'll just assume they were happy and I get to keep it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ol'fido

I hadn't realized it until I saw this thread but I have ten years TIG as a LT Col. As I sit typing this at the IL Summer Encampment, I am sitting about three feet away from a man with nearly 40 years TIG as a LT Col. This is his 64th encampment.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

a2capt

Will you still love me..  will you still feed me ..
When I'm sixty-four ..

Spaceman3750

Quote from: ol'fido on June 24, 2013, 04:24:44 PM
I hadn't realized it until I saw this thread but I have ten years TIG as a LT Col. As I sit typing this at the IL Summer Encampment, I am sitting about three feet away from a man with nearly 40 years TIG as a LT Col. This is his 64th encampment.

Who is that?

AlphaSigOU

Just a little over a year before I become eligible to take the gold tarnish off my 'bottle caps'! I'd figure that as long as you are still active and performing well at any level and didn't wind up getting the 'Region Rajah' angry and putting you in his or her gunsights you should be able to sail through the one year probie period. YMMV depending on the region.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ol'fido

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 24, 2013, 06:15:21 PM

Who is that?
Lt Col Jim Weiland, the ILWG Commo Licensing Officer. He is also a 50 year member. A few years ago, the encampment staff got a resolution read in the U. S. Congress congratulating him for his CAP service and his encampment participation. In 1979, the first year I went to encampment at Chanute AFB, Lt Col Weiland was the Commandant of Cadets.

Larry Mangum

Wow, just realized it has been over 7 years since I pinned on Lt Col. Does not seem that long.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Camas

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 24, 2013, 03:20:02 PM
Right, it's supposed to go to the Region Commander for re-validation.  I haven't received anything in terms of notification.  I'm still listed as a Lt Col, but I don't know if it was made permanent or if someone clicked the extend probation button. I guess I'll just assume they were happy and I get to keep it.
You're probably right. I received no notice one way or another - and I'm still wearing silver bottle caps. So I guess it's all good.

Eclipse

The Region CC and appropriate designates will have notifications in the promotions module, but depending on your wing and region there may be requirements to justify the affirmation.

My region required my wing CC to submit a narrative to that effect. The only indication he had that it was permanent was that it was no longer in his queue.

So check with wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

I was told my Lt Col was made permanent, but never got a notification of it. Then, about a year later, I got an auto-generated email from eServices saying it was made permanent.

The thing is, I changed Regions in between those two events, and it listed my new Region CC as the approver. So, I'm guessing my old Region CC only extended the temporary period for one year, then my current one made it permanent.

Bottom line: I believe you'll get an email if it's permanent.

Garibaldi

I was always under the assumption that LtCol was the final resting place for most seniors, unless they were appointed Wing or Region CC.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: dwb on June 24, 2013, 10:33:57 PM
Bottom line: I believe you'll get an email if it's permanent.

That has to be new and within the last 6 months.

Is there any indication in the records that it's done?

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

I pinned on in April 2011, was told in February 2012 that the (Northeast) Region CC was making it permanent, but I didn't get the E-mail from eServices until April 4, 2013 saying that the (Middle East) Region CC had approved it.

No change in my records, as far as I could tell. The process is opaque.

Edit: it's entirely possible my old Wing CC recommended my temporary rank be extended another year, since he already knew I was moving and maybe wanted my new Region CC to make the final decision. Also, my old Region CC could have decided to extend the temporary rank, for whatever reason he may have had.

Critical AOA

I've decided to settle for captain permanence.  8)
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Spaceman3750

Quote from: ol'fido on June 24, 2013, 07:29:37 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 24, 2013, 06:15:21 PM

Who is that?
Lt Col Jim Weiland, the ILWG Commo Licensing Officer. He is also a 50 year member. A few years ago, the encampment staff got a resolution read in the U. S. Congress congratulating him for his CAP service and his encampment participation. In 1979, the first year I went to encampment at Chanute AFB, Lt Col Weiland was the Commandant of Cadets.

Wow, I didn't realize he had been in for so long. Good on him!

</hijack>

Private Investigator

Quote from: ol'fido on June 24, 2013, 07:29:37 PMLt Col Jim Weiland, the ILWG Commo Licensing Officer. He is also a 50 year member. A few years ago, the encampment staff got a resolution read in the U. S. Congress congratulating him for his CAP service and his encampment participation. In 1979, the first year I went to encampment at Chanute AFB, Lt Col Weiland was the Commandant of Cadets.

How cool is that? Thanks for sharing.  :clap:

Phil Hirons, Jr.

2 Encampment Ribbons with 5 silver clasps plus a 3rd ribbon with 2 silver and a bronze. Maybe we need to add a gold clasp option  >:D

RI Wing has a Lt Col who just hit 50 years TIG.

Майор Хаткевич

Wouldn't it be 3 with 4 silver each for 63?

lordmonar

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 25, 2013, 09:22:15 PM
Wouldn't it be 3 with 4 silver each for 63?
7 silvers is 35, two bronze is 37, plus two ribbons is 39.

Майор Хаткевич

Right...so 12 silvers on 3 ribbons...

lordmonar

Oh right.....64 encampments (counting this year)

is 12 Silvers for 60 and four ribbons for 64 (3 with four silvers each).

maybe we need to come up with just silver numbers after we get the first ribbon full.

Ribbon +4 bronzes....(equal 5)....after that you just use a silver 6, 7, 8, etc. and so forth.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I stand by my count. The ribbon counts as well as the clasps.

5 Silver = 25 + 1 ribbon = 26 awards.

repeat = 52

12 to get to 64 = ribbon (1) + 2 silver (10) + 1 bronze(1)

Майор Хаткевич

Only 4 devices on the ribbon, no 5 piece clasps.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

<Facepalm>I stand corrected</Facepalm>

Ribbon 1: 4 silver + ribbon = 21
Ribbon 2: 4 silver + ribbon = 21
Ribbon 3: 4 silver + ribbon = 21

= 63 current total
#64 adds a 4th plain ribbon

Maybe we add a gold clasp that equals 5 silver (25 awards)
64 would now be
Ribbon 1: 2 gold (50) + 2 silver (10) + ribbon = 61
Ribbon 2: 2 Bronze (2) + ribbon = 3

Or we use the numerals from the red service ribbon after 20 encampments?

johnnyb47

All this discussion on the specifics and I bet the LtCol wears just ONE encampment ribbon... if any at all.
:)
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

lordmonar

Quote from: phirons on June 26, 2013, 03:47:50 PM
<Facepalm>I stand corrected</Facepalm>

Ribbon 1: 4 silver + ribbon = 21
Ribbon 2: 4 silver + ribbon = 21
Ribbon 3: 4 silver + ribbon = 21

= 63 current total
#64 adds a 4th plain ribbon

Maybe we add a gold clasp that equals 5 silver (25 awards)
64 would now be
Ribbon 1: 2 gold (50) + 2 silver (10) + ribbon = 61
Ribbon 2: 2 Bronze (2) + ribbon = 3

Or we use the numerals from the red service ribbon after 20 encampments?
Actually you need to start them at 10.

Ribbon+silver+3 Bronze is 9 encampments...the 10th encmament forces a second ribbon....11th removes the second ribbon and you have 1 ribbon +2 silvers.

So.....I would go either....start at 10.....or better still start at 6....so the progression would be ribbon, bronze, bronze, bronze, bronze, 6, 7, 8, etc and so forth.....so you never go to the second ribbon.

ol'fido

Quote from: johnnyb47 on June 26, 2013, 04:03:54 PM
All this discussion on the specifics and I bet the LtCol wears just ONE encampment ribbon... if any at all.
You are correct. Lt Col Weiland doesn't usually wear his ribbons at all. He just wears his Master Communications Badge.

Майор Хаткевич

Still would be interesting to see a row of encampment ribbons with 4 silver devices.

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on June 26, 2013, 04:55:34 PM
You are correct. Lt Col Weiland doesn't usually wear his ribbons at all. He just wears his Master Communications Badge.

I don't think I've ever seen him wear ribbons, or for that matter anything but a shirt and tie at most.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Your one up on me, Bob, I've never seen him wear a tie.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2013, 05:55:56 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on June 26, 2013, 04:55:34 PM

I don't think I've ever seen him wear ribbons, or for that matter anything but a shirt and tie at most.

I think I'd like him.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw