Uniform Organizer

Started by ARandomCadet, June 19, 2013, 05:13:05 AM

UH60guy

Quote from: Chuck Norris on June 19, 2013, 04:00:00 PM
Quote from: Danger on June 19, 2013, 03:56:44 PM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: Danger on June 19, 2013, 03:40:01 PM
Cadet Rainey, hold your horses. For one, Christmas is a really long way away, unless they do it differently in Texas. All you'll have is the short sleeve blues with no tie, most likely. Just worry about promoting and learning about CAP, that definitely takes precidence over storing your uniform in a fancy box. If you're storing or traveling with your blues, use cost hangars. Bam, done. Cheap and simple.
You don't want to hear what happens to our suits and dress clothes when we put them on coat hangars, it is actually better for me to put my suit, blues uniform, or Boy Scout uniform, in a box like that. And it is safer, we always use rental cars while on business (my dads company pays for it), and it always gets trashed, and therefore would trash my blues uniform, suit, or Boy Scout uniform.

I didn't know C/AB's travel this much.. From what I have seen most basic's can't put their blues insignia on correctly. Let alone iron correctly. All I'm saying is this magic uniform box you're talking about will most likely be a waste of $75 and other items can get the job done. You're going to have a fun career in CAP and especially on CAPTalk. A more appropriate place to tell people how to fix CAP would be your local CAC.
Oh, I travel a lot. And that is why I can't attend encampment this summer. Not how much time I have, how many meetings I'm missing right now. If I didn't miss last week, I would promote next week.

Wait, so you're missing meetings regularly, but want to travel with your uniform to represent CAP where you go? Because that's what you're doing when you put on that uniform- representing CAP whether you intend to or not. Take a moment and think what the uniform means before you wear it just to have something nice to wear. Are you upholding the values behind it, like attending meetings regularly that you said you would in your oath?
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

ARandomCadet

Quote from: ColonelJack on June 19, 2013, 04:53:11 PM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 04:48:49 PM
Quote from: jeders on June 19, 2013, 04:32:29 PM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 04:19:01 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 19, 2013, 04:01:57 PM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 04:00:00 PM
Oh, I travel a lot.

With your uniform?
Depends on what uniform. If it is to somewhere else across the country (like LA) than yes, my dad has his contacts there that are very important in status there.

You wear your CAP uniform to meet your dad's important contacts? Considering who your squadron commander is, I don't think that would be allowed.
I've never done that before, but my dad has friends from when he was a cop, that are now important politicians. In that case something more professional could be called on.

Mister Rainey ...

Do I understand from your posts here that you wear your uniform when visiting Los Angeles with your father?  And you are a Texas-based cadet?

Does your squadron commander know about this?  (I ask because, under regulations, your squadron commander must grant permission for uniform wear at anything that is not a CAP-specific event...especially when in another state.)

Jack
I have never been to another state, with my uniform, since becoming a member. I am simply implying that if I was there I would have my uniform with, should the appropriate time come while there to where it (such as if I decided to visit a squadron there). I believe that it is completely appropriate to have it with me while traveling, as long as I do not where except for if and when  the proper time while there arises.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: UH60guy on June 19, 2013, 04:57:18 PM
Quote from: Chuck Norris on June 19, 2013, 04:00:00 PM
Quote from: Danger on June 19, 2013, 03:56:44 PM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 19, 2013, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: Danger on June 19, 2013, 03:40:01 PM
Cadet Rainey, hold your horses. For one, Christmas is a really long way away, unless they do it differently in Texas. All you'll have is the short sleeve blues with no tie, most likely. Just worry about promoting and learning about CAP, that definitely takes precidence over storing your uniform in a fancy box. If you're storing or traveling with your blues, use cost hangars. Bam, done. Cheap and simple.
You don't want to hear what happens to our suits and dress clothes when we put them on coat hangars, it is actually better for me to put my suit, blues uniform, or Boy Scout uniform, in a box like that. And it is safer, we always use rental cars while on business (my dads company pays for it), and it always gets trashed, and therefore would trash my blues uniform, suit, or Boy Scout uniform.

I didn't know C/AB's travel this much.. From what I have seen most basic's can't put their blues insignia on correctly. Let alone iron correctly. All I'm saying is this magic uniform box you're talking about will most likely be a waste of $75 and other items can get the job done. You're going to have a fun career in CAP and especially on CAPTalk. A more appropriate place to tell people how to fix CAP would be your local CAC.
Oh, I travel a lot. And that is why I can't attend encampment this summer. Not how much time I have, how many meetings I'm missing right now. If I didn't miss last week, I would promote next week.

Wait, so you're missing meetings regularly, but want to travel with your uniform to represent CAP where you go? Because that's what you're doing when you put on that uniform- representing CAP whether you intend to or not. Take a moment and think what the uniform means before you wear it just to have something nice to wear. Are you upholding the values behind it, like attending meetings regularly that you said you would in your oath?
I have missed 2 meetings, and that was due to pre planned travel that was planned before CAP even became a possibility for me. There have been 2 meetings since I officially became a member, before that I missed 1 out of 7 meetings. The pre planned activities, I have known about since last year. I started attending meetings in April, and received a CAPID number in late May. I would like to ask you, which automatically takes superiority. I'm pretty sure the pre planned activities do.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Chuck Norris on June 19, 2013, 04:57:39 PM

Mister Rainey ...

Do I understand from your posts here that you wear your uniform when visiting Los Angeles with your father?  And you are a Texas-based cadet?

Does your squadron commander know about this?  (I ask because, under regulations, your squadron commander must grant permission for uniform wear at anything that is not a CAP-specific event...especially when in another state.)

Jack

I have never been to another state, with my uniform, since becoming a member. I am simply implying that if I was there I would have my uniform with, should the appropriate time come while there to where it (such as if I decided to visit a squadron there). I believe that it is completely appropriate to have it with me while traveling, as long as I do not where except for if and when  the proper time while there arises.

Mister Rainey,

Visiting a squadron would be the only reason you'd wear your uniform when traveling out of state (unless, of course, you were traveling on CAP business).  It's perfectly appropriate to have it with you, but only by the same standard that it would be perfectly appropriate to have a Starfleet uniform with you, or a Flintstones loincloth, or a silly French hat with you - to wear if and when the proper time arises.

You neglected, however, to answer my other question.  Does your squadron commander know about this?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ARandomCadet

Quote from: ColonelJack on June 19, 2013, 05:05:26 PM

Mister Rainey ...

Jack

Mister Rainey,

Visiting a squadron would be the only reason you'd wear your uniform when traveling out of state (unless, of course, you were traveling on CAP business).  It's perfectly appropriate to have it with you, but only by the same standard that it would be perfectly appropriate to have a Starfleet uniform with you, or a Flintstones loincloth, or a silly French hat with you - to wear if and when the proper time arises.

You neglected, however, to answer my other question.  Does your squadron commander know about this?

Jack
I have not seen my CC in several weeks, so no.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Chuck Norris on June 19, 2013, 05:17:22 PM
Quote from: ColonelJack on June 19, 2013, 05:05:26 PM

Mister Rainey ...

Jack

Mister Rainey,

Jack
I have not seen my CC in several weeks, so no.

Then, in that case, I strongly recommend you do one of two things:  Speak to your CC about the issue before traveling, or leave your uniform at home.  Just a suggestion, mark you.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

johnnyb47

Folks, it's hard to pick out of multiple posts but I think there's a misunderstanding here.
Initially the cadet said;
QuoteI wouldn't be using this just for CAP, at times I will with my dad on business so my suit also goes in there perfectly. As the Navy has been trying to hook me in, and I am looking at a career in the Air Force or Coast Guard, I have a possibility at a military career. Also, I am involved in several organizations that require me to travel on official business, and those organizations have uniforms.

The cadet then further went on to clarify (over multiple posts) that it could be a suit, a boy scout uniform, etc.

I'm not sure how we came to the conclusion that this cadet is travelling the country wearing his CAP uniform on business trips with his father.
I don't think he meant (or implied) that.

Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NCRblues

Quote from: johnnyb47 on June 19, 2013, 06:32:37 PM
Folks, it's hard to pick out of multiple posts but I think there's a misunderstanding here.
QuoteI wouldn't be using this just for CAP, at times I will with my dad on business so my suit also goes in there perfectly. As the Navy has been trying to hook me in, and I am looking at a career in the Air Force or Coast Guard, I have a possibility at a military career. Also, I am involved in several organizations that require me to travel on official business, and those organizations have uniforms.

The cadet then further went on to clarify (over multiple posts) that it could be a suit, a boy scout uniform, etc.

I'm not sure how we came to the conclusion that this cadet is travelling the country wearing his CAP uniform on business trips with his father.

There is a misunderstanding going on BUT...

What do you expect from a group of well versed and experienced senior members when a kid gets on here and opens 3 or 4 new topics. One of them gives the impression that he brings his uniform along on trips just in case, in another he says he is going to run a new idea up the chain of command...all before earning his first stripe.

He needs to take a step back, relax and learn how CAP operates outside of his local unit. 5 to 1 odds the kid does not even know his group commanders name, let alone how to better our relationship with another organization.

So, of course most on this board are going to be a bit apprehensive about a "FNG" posting things like that on a public forum.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

Quote from: Chuck Norris on June 19, 2013, 03:40:55 PMAlso, I am involved in several organizations that require me to travel on official business, and those organizations have uniforms.

12 years olds do not "travel on official business" for anyone, including CAP.

Frankly, this isn't fun anymore.  You spirit is to be commended, but right now it's on "11" and needs to be about a "5" - you've been a member for 3 weeks (or maybe since April) and have
missed 7 meetings out of what could only have been 9-10 total.

Dial it down, spend some time listening and learning, and then ask questions when you have a more informed posture from which to ask them.  A good lesson you can take from
CAP, and one that will serve you in any potential military career, is to "sit quietly and absorb".

"That Others May Zoom"

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on June 19, 2013, 06:57:13 PM
Quote from: Chuck Norris on June 19, 2013, 03:40:55 PMAlso, I am involved in several organizations that require me to travel on official business, and those organizations have uniforms.

Frankly, this isn't fun anymore.  You spirit is to be commended, but right now it's on "11" and needs to be about a "5" - you've been a member for 3 weeks (or maybe since April) and have

Dial it down, spend some time listening and learning, and then ask questions when you have a more informed posture from which to ask them.  A good lesson you can take from
CAP, and one that will serve you in any potential military career, is to "sit quietly and absorb".
Official business could be defined as traveling to recruit, and as traveling to look for ways other places operate. Both of which I do for Boy Scouts. As long as it is a Boy Scout activity, and it is approved by an adult leader, it could be considered official business for Boy Scouts of America.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on June 19, 2013, 06:57:13 PM

I have not missed 7 meetings, I have missed a total 3 meetings, out of 10 weeks since I started attending CAP. One of those 3 meetings I showed up at the very end of the meeting to turn in a uniform item that was too small, but I still say that I missed it. Out of the 7, including after I  turned in my CAPF-15 application to join but before my membership was approved, I missed 1 which was the one where I showed up at the very end (all they did was watch Top Gun, but I had another meeting).

Eclipse

Quote from: Chuck Norris on June 19, 2013, 07:31:01 PM
Official business could be defined as traveling to recruit, and as traveling to look for ways other places operate. Both of which I do for Boy Scouts. As long as it is a Boy Scout activity, and it is approved by an adult leader, it could be considered official business for Boy Scouts of America.

That's fine.  If you feel that way, so be it.  One could ask where you are "recruiting" that requires travel, since Boy Scouts is a decidedly "local" phenomenon.
Also, no Boy Scout uniform requires anything more complicated then a duffle bag to transport, assuming you're not wearing it on the way to the Walmart.

Also, as a suggestion, if you wish to anonymize yourself, I would suggest removing your email from public display Changing your display name
but leaving your real name in the email doesn't serve much purpose, though like many things, once the toothpaste is out of the tube, there's
little chance to put it back.

"That Others May Zoom"

johnnyb47

Quote from: NCRblues on June 19, 2013, 06:48:52 PM

What do you expect from a group of well versed and experienced senior members when a kid gets on here and opens 3 or 4 new topics. One of them gives the impression that he brings his uniform along on trips just in case, in another he says he is going to run a new idea up the chain of command...all before earning his first stripe.

He needs to take a step back, relax and learn how CAP operates outside of his local unit. 5 to 1 odds the kid does not even know his group commanders name, let alone how to better our relationship with another organization.

So, of course most on this board are going to be a bit apprehensive about a "FNG" posting things like that on a public forum.

Well what I would hope to expect is that we treat him the exact same way we would if he (12 years old) came to a few meetings at one of our home squadrons and then started asking questions and bringing up these thoughts to us in person. I'm not saying we AREN'T doing that BUT it's hard to hear the patience or understanding in your tone on the internet.

So now that we know he isn't using his uniform for personal gain, may travel with boy scout uniforms or suits AND understands that if he is to wear his uniform anywhere other than to approved CAP functions he needs the approval of his CC..... what do we think of the organizer in the OP?

Cadet, I still think it's a waste of your money.... but it's YOUR money. :)
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jeders

Quote from: johnnyb47 on June 19, 2013, 07:45:34 PM
... what do we think of the organizer in the OP?

I think it looks like a neat piece of gear. I also think that the Annihilator 2000 looks like a neat piece of gear, but that doesn't mean that it's useful.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

UH60guy

Quote from: johnnyb47 on June 19, 2013, 07:45:34 PM
Quote from: NCRblues on June 19, 2013, 06:48:52 PM

Well what I would hope to expect is that we treat him the exact same way we would if he (12 years old) came to a few meetings at one of our home squadrons and then started asking questions and bringing up these thoughts to us in person. I'm not saying we AREN'T doing that BUT it's hard to hear the patience or understanding in your tone on the internet.

So now that we know he isn't using his uniform for personal gain, may travel with boy scout uniforms or suits AND understands that if he is to wear his uniform anywhere other than to approved CAP functions he needs the approval of his CC..... what do we think of the organizer in the OP?

Cadet, I still think it's a waste of your money.... but it's YOUR money. :)

I apologize for the misunderstanding, it was not my intent to be mean, but to recommend against spending on luggage in place of a better Christmas present. I think the assumptions that this was for his CAP uniform came about because this was posted on a CAP forum though.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

SarDragon

FYI, if you're thinking about using this for the Navy, it will be at least 14 years before you'll be wearing that style uniform. Until then, there are better, and cheaper, ways to transport your uniforms. I spent 21 years in the canoe club, and never needed anything that fancy for my travels.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ARandomCadet

Come on guys! Can't let this die!

a2capt

Welcome to CAPTalk .. and the Internet. A thread will die when.. something else comes along. Maybe.

Brad

Quote from: ILikePlanes on June 21, 2013, 05:34:43 AM
Come on guys! Can't let this die!

Why? You've gotten the most probable answer, that of save your money. IF you decide to sink $75 into the thing, be sure you'll get what you invest out of it. You mentioned travel outside of CAP, fair enough, but coming from an NJROTC grad who went to 3 years worth of drill meets, I can tell you a fullsize garmet bag and slipping your socks over your shoes to prevent them from getting scuffed will do fine. I seriously doubt you'd do enough traveling to get your best use out of it, but again it's your money not mine.  Plus if I can fit an entire Tie Pilot kit into a rolling suitcase and helmet bag, plastic and cloth components and calf-length boots, then you can certainly do fine with a garmet bag setup.

;D
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

SarDragon

Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Tick-tock.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member