CAP iOS and Android app

Started by ARandomCadet, June 17, 2013, 04:03:47 AM

Eclipse

No, it's not, even a little.

Knock it off.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 18, 2013, 11:09:35 PM
Yeah, let's pick on the new guy and ridicule him. Sounds like a plan.

Real mature guys! It is definitely a good first impression for him.

Just make a responsive site. Problem solved.

PM sent.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

Leave the Cadet alone. He asked a question and was given several reasons that his idea was not practical at this time. When you were all 13 years old, I'm sure you also had a simplified view of the world. Let him learn by his mistakes, but don't pile on.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

ARandomCadet

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 19, 2013, 03:52:43 AM
Leave the Cadet alone. He asked a question and was given several reasons that his idea was not practical at this time. When you were all 13 12 years old, I'm sure you also had a simplified view of the world. Let him learn by his mistakes, but don't pile on.
Sorry to correct you on my age, I am OCD about things like time and other minor details (age being one) being perfect, but I'm 12. Again, it's my OCD kicking in right now.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: SarDragon on June 19, 2013, 01:36:02 AM

Real mature guys! It is definitely a good first impression for him.

Just make a responsive site. Problem solved.

PM sent.
PM not recieved.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

Resent.

You might also want to reconsider your sig line. It might come back to bite you. Remember whose sandbox you're playing in.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: SarDragon on June 19, 2013, 05:09:06 AM
Resent.

You might also want to reconsider your sig line. It might come back to bite you. Remember whose sandbox you're playing in.
Because I forgot that the moderators could ban people.  ;)
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

whatevah

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 19, 2013, 01:30:16 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 18, 2013, 11:32:27 PM

In the words of my PD buddy "If you choose to draw attention to yourself, you will get attention."
So bullying is okay if they draw attention to themselves? That is EXACTLY the same as saying "she deserved to get raped, she is a slut." And we all know that is wrong, I hope.

The way your brain works... wow.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

dwb

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 19, 2013, 01:30:16 AMSo bullying is okay if they draw attention to themselves?

Let's be careful with the "b word". Not every disparaging remark is bullying. It's like reading the DoD hazing definition and saying "anything can be hazing!" No, not anything. The words in that definition have meaning, and were chosen deliberately. A cadet who gets embarassed about a minor transgression is not a cadet who was humiliated, who was made to suffer. Not every person who comes on CAP Talk and gets shouted down for an opinion has been bullied.

That said, there are positive ways to field these kinds of questions. Instead of saying "you're a n00b, what do you know?", you can use the opportunity to expand the cadet's point of view, show them how other factors and competing priorities can make even a good idea one that just isn't feasible.

This kind of nuanced answer -- good idea vs. feasible idea, good idea to me vs. good idea for the organization, understanding constraints and competing priorities -- is exactly the kind of cognitive exercise that is good for a 12-year-old to be exposed to.

Shouting him down is only going to make him paranoid about sticking his neck out again, which isn't precisely the behavior we want to encourage. What we want to encourage is him sticking his neck out again after thinking through the opinion a bit more.

Alright, I'm done talking about him as if he isn't reading this thread.  ;D