Main Menu

CAP iOS and Android app

Started by ARandomCadet, June 17, 2013, 04:03:47 AM

ARandomCadet

Quote from: SJFedor on June 17, 2013, 06:13:05 PM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 17, 2013, 04:03:47 AM
...an official app with eServices built in, and a mobile version of testing because we all hate having to zoom in while taking a test on a mobile device...

You talk like you've had to take a lot of tests on this system...  ???
I take all of my tests via a mobile device, in fact I only use mobile devices unless something can not run on a mobile device (ie. a java web page), in which case I use my net book.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on June 17, 2013, 11:31:08 AM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 17, 2013, 05:12:38 AM

Tack an extra $1-2 onto membership fees, that pays for it all plus more.

Ahh... a future leader in the democrat party.  Making everybody pay for something regardless if they want it or not.
So kind of like the way taxes work, paying taxes even for roads that you don't use. That situation of paying taxes for roads you don't use, is just like paying extra on membership fees for a feature you don't use (at least that's the way I view it).

MSG Mac

What will a new app for your phone or tablet do besides give you instant gratification? There's really not that much  in CAP that can't wait till you get near a computer that is already able to access E-services.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

You don't need to post a new reply for each post. You can use one to reply to all of them.

Extremepredjudice

Barebones system + OSX ~ 1,000.

You don't need to buy things premade.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Critical AOA

Quote from: a2capt on June 18, 2013, 01:37:45 AM
You don't need to post a new reply for each post. You can use one to reply to all of them.

That requires knowledge of technology.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

EMT-83

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 18, 2013, 12:56:57 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on June 17, 2013, 06:13:05 PM
...an official app with eServices built in, and a mobile version of testing because we all hate having to zoom in while taking a test on a mobile device...

You talk like you've had to take a lot of tests on this system...  ???
I take all of my tests via a mobile device, in fact I only use mobile devices unless something can not run on a mobile device (ie. a java web page), in which case I use my net book.

I suppose because mobile devices are the current rage, as demonstrated in all the media hype.

I'd rather use the correct tool for the job.

Майор Хаткевич

I've taken services tests on my android. No problems.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 18, 2013, 12:55:00 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 17, 2013, 08:02:39 PM
Maybe get to your second or third stripe before trying to "fix" CAP?
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll pass on that suggestion. I don't think that it is how many stripes you have, I already am very familiar with CAP and I have learned most of that from one of my very good friends who is also my flight sergeant. I believe that it has some spots that need to polished, so CAP is not living in the past. Especially when it comes to some of the recruiting efforts.

Wow! First of all, since you're still a C/AB, you most likely know very little about CAP. You haven't been to encampment. You haven't been to National Cadet Special Activities. You haven't participated in Emergency Services. You don't have a staff position with significant responsibilities. You haven't been a part of the Cadet Advisory Council. And your little experience with CAP is most likely based on your limited participation in your unit and what you've read. And if you've learned almost all of what you know from your flight sergeant (as you stated), then let me tell you that, while his experience is more extensive than yours, it's not really that much as many opportunities in CAP are only available to cadet officers and above. You have a long way to go, cadet. You should listen to those senior to you.

Now, back to your original post; I too would like to see an official CAP mobile app for iOS and Android as I use many mobile devices in CAP (more than you as I have to review personnel records, make data entries and approvals, access regulations and forms you've probably never heard of, etc.). While not the same, I would settle for a mobile-friendly site for eServices, capmembers.com, WMIRS, ORMS, etc. (you do know what the latter acronyms mean, right?). I've often had to do flight releases on the go using my iPhone, so better support would be extremely welcomed. I think many would agree with that.

Unfortunately, CAP has limited resources. We also need airplanes, ground vehicles, communication equipment, infrastructure, training materials, etc. We need to do the best we can with what we have, at least until we can get more... and that doesn't always happen.

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 18, 2013, 02:53:48 PM
Quote from: cadetrainey on June 18, 2013, 12:55:00 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 17, 2013, 08:02:39 PM
Maybe get to your second or third stripe before trying to "fix" CAP?
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll pass on that suggestion. I don't think that it is how many stripes you have, I already am very familiar with CAP and I have learned most of that from one of my very good friends who is also my flight sergeant. I believe that it has some spots that need to polished, so CAP is not living in the past. Especially when it comes to some of the recruiting efforts.

Wow! First of all, since you're still a C/AB, you most likely know very little about CAP. You haven't been to encampment. You haven't been to National Cadet Special Activities. You haven't participated in Emergency Services. You don't have a staff position with significant responsibilities. You haven't been a part of the Cadet Advisory Council. And your little experience with CAP is most likely based on your limited participation in your unit and what you've read. And if you've learned almost all of what you know from your flight sergeant (as you stated), then let me tell you that, while his experience is more extensive than yours, it's not really that much as many opportunities in CAP are only available to cadet officers and above. You have a long way to go, cadet. You should listen to those senior to you.

Now, back to your original post; I too would like to see an official CAP mobile app for iOS and Android as I use many mobile devices in CAP (more than you as I have to review personnel records, make data entries and approvals, access regulations and forms you've probably never heard of, etc.). While not the same, I would settle for a mobile-friendly site for eServices, capmembers.com, WMIRS, ORMS, etc. (you do know what the latter acronyms mean, right?). I've often had to do flight releases on the go using my iPhone, so better support would be extremely welcomed. I think many would agree with that.

Unfortunately, CAP has limited resources. We also need airplanes, ground vehicles, communication equipment, infrastructure, training materials, etc. We need to do the best we can with what we have, at least until we can get more... and that doesn't always happen.
Maybe a better meaning of when I said I am very familiar with CAP, that I mean more on the sides of know more than most other C/ABs would know. Also I have been a member officially for 3 weeks now, but because of squadron policy have been going to squadron meetings, and event for (as of next Thursday, June 26th) two months. Because of the timing, and my good friend from outside of CAP who is my flight sergeant, I know a fair amount, and if it weren't for my schedule (I can't do PT till August) I would promote to C/Amn sometime really soon. The same thing goes for another one of my friends, who is also a C/AB and friends with my flight sergeant (we all spend time together, and go to church together).

Eclipse

Well, 3 weeks.  I stand corrected and we should all just knock it off and listen to this highly experienced, knowledgable cadet.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: cadetrainey on June 18, 2013, 03:06:50 PM
Because of the timing, and my good friend from outside of CAP who is my flight sergeant, I know a fair amount, and if it weren't for my schedule (I can't do PT till August) I would promote to C/Amn sometime really soon.

If there is a legitimate reason you can't do PT then it is not an obstacle to promotion to C/Amn. A doctor's note can exempt you from some or all of the requirements. See CAPR 52-16 para 2-12.

Your job at this stage of your cadet career is to learn to follow and to learn about CAP.

Майор Хаткевич

C/AB Rainey, you remind me, very much of a cadet I knew 10 years ago. Except that he didn't try to fix CAP until he was a C/SSgt. Oh, also, I can tell you that ten years later that cadet is now a SM Captain, and if he could, would go back in time and smack himself to cut out the silly behaviour. Ten years later, and he now knows how much he doesn't know about CAP. Take your time, read our texts, try to get regular attendance and progress. Don't focus on fixing problems you can't control or fully understand.

Storm Chaser

Critical AOA

Quote from: Eclipse on June 18, 2013, 03:47:47 PM
Well, 3 weeks.  I stand corrected and we should all just knock it off and listen to this highly experienced, knowledgable cadet.

:clap:

His length of service is certainly impressive.  I think CAP is actually beneath him and he should immediately be appointed to a high level post in the Pentagon where he can ensure that all of the US Armed Forces are up to his standards. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Storm Chaser

And are issued iOS devices.  >:D

dwb

Who else here agrees they need to make an iOS and Android app for CAP. [...] They need to have guides, regulations, and general info along with eServices built into an app. Also anybody have any other suggestions they need to add?

I think a mobile-friendly version of the existing web sites is sufficient. There isn't anything that needs to be done in an app that cannot be done with a mobile version of eServices modules. Bonus: no platform-specific programming  knowledge (e.g., Objective C) is necessary.

That being said, NHQ/IT is literally two people, and they have a "to do" list a mile long. With the uncertainty in CAP's budget outlook, they don't have the funding to outsource a big mobile eServices project, and we have to balance our desire for mobile web sites with the 100 other competing priorities that occupy the time of the two IT folks at NHQ.

So, while I agree that mobile-friendly cadet tests and the like are a good idea, I also don't think they're a good enough idea to implement ahead of the many other things on IT's punch list.

Also, welcome to CAP! :)

Extremepredjudice

Yeah, let's pick on the new guy and ridicule him. Sounds like a plan.

Real mature guys! It is definitely a good first impression for him.

Just make a responsive site. Problem solved.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 18, 2013, 11:09:35 PM

In the words of my PD buddy "If you choose to draw attention to yourself, you will get attention."

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on June 18, 2013, 11:32:27 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 18, 2013, 11:09:35 PM

In the words of my PD buddy "If you choose to draw attention to yourself, you will get attention."
So bullying is okay if they draw attention to themselves? That is EXACTLY the same as saying "she deserved to get raped, she is a slut." And we all know that is wrong, I hope.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor