Main Menu

Marine ILBE system

Started by DJN245, June 04, 2013, 07:33:36 AM

DJN245

The Main ILBE (Improved Load Bearing Equipment for those who are unaware) is a fairly large pack with comfortable shoulder and hip straps that have nice thick padding and a wide range of adjustment. The main compartment of the pack can be divided into two sections at any time at the users discretion allow for space for your sleeping gear and a separation for the the remainder of your 72 hour gear. The lid has a higher capacity than most lids on backpacks that I have used in the past, allowing me to (tightly) roll my gortex top AND bottoms and store them in there, with enough room left over for a large bottle of Gatorade or water.

The side of the main pack also has large, deep pockets within your reach while you are still hiking to securely store a radio, a water bottle or a snack or two. Equally convenient is the fact that the assault pack (what we would call the day-pack or 24 hr. pack) is designed with buckles that allow you to quickly attach and detach it from the back of the main pack to allow for more room in your main pack, quicker access, and the end of you always trying to somehow attach your 24 to the outside of your 72 or somehow stuff it in there. (The one negative side to this is the high amount of weight at the back of the pack that can seem to pull you backwards)

The assault, or day pack, is decently sized to carry all your 24 hour gear, and is more than fairly comfortable to hike with. The one downside to the assault pack is its lack of pockets, as there are only 2 main compartments and only 1-2 more pockets beyond that. The system can also come with a camelback and corresponding carrier, that is convenient, especially because of the ease of attaching it to the main and assault packs. I personally did not get the camelback but I heard it works very well with the system (I didn't get the camelback because I lost faith in them after having 2 of them bust on me, back to back).

The whole system is made of a very durable, very waterproof material that I can attest to its working very well. The water bottle that I mentioned carrying in the lid.... yeah, I was lazy and must not have closed it all the way, it came open in the top lid of the pack. As we were hiking, one of my cadets behind me pointed out a small patch of "dew" on the just near the seam in the lid of my pack. I took the pack off, opened the lid, and was able to pour out the entire bottle of gatorade that had spilled, and stayed, in the lid of my pack. If the pack had not been waterproof, my entire gear would have been soaked through but it held the water like it was a bowl, except for at the zipper.

The pack also survived a trek through a huge field of thorn bushes unscathed, and I cannot say the same for myself or my uniform.

I just wanted to say that after many years of being an active hiker/backpacker and many year involved in the E.S. side of CAP, I finally found a pack that is perfect for me. For once I can say for certain that this is actually a piece of equipment that the Marine Corp did right! I would recommend this pack system to any individual who backpacks or is involved in ES operations.

DJN245

Duke Dillio

A quick review on eBay shows this pack to be pretty nice except for that ugly color...

I tried the CFP-90 system which is fairly similar to this pack.  I believe that the only difference really between the two is internal frame versus external frame.  Just a guess though.  I liked the CFP-90 but I didn't really like the price tag at the time....

Just wish someone would make these style of packs in a brighter color.  I personally prefer a bright blue with orange streaks...

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

I have put many, many miles under full load with my ILBE.  It's a great pack.  You can stuff a lot of gear into it and the heavy-duty side opening zippers make all of your stuff (even the junk all the way at the bottom) completely accessible.  I have humped heavy loads over a lot of miles with the ILBE and not had many problems with the pack not being as comfortable as any pack could be.  I have lived out of the ILBE for months with no problems.  This pack can carry plenty of gear (more than any CAP GTM or GTL would ever need).  The main compartment is designed to accomodate the standard three-piece military sleeping system in its compression pack, as well, so it's perfect even for the 72-hour kits.  The top lid pouch is also great for quick access items and the MOLLE webbing on top means you can easily strap a hydration carrier to the top for use on longer marches.   The day pack/assault pack that goes with the ILBE integrates fairly well (clips on to the back) giving you a means of setting up a base of operations and then detaching your day pack for patrols or other work during the day.  All-in-all, great pack.

The Marine Corps is actually phasing these out in favor of the coyote-color USMC Pack; my unit is issuing these new packs already.  So keep your eyes out for a ton of these entering the surplus market soon.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

^I was gonna ask if it was available in coyote since it would seem esthetically better than MARPAT with BDUs.
Mike Johnston

Bobble

Quote from: Pylon on June 04, 2013, 04:07:26 PM
The Marine Corps is actually phasing these out in favor of the coyote-color USMC Pack; my unit is issuing these new packs already.  So keep your eyes out for a ton of these entering the surplus market soon.

Excerpt from the link provided above:

"Marines have used ILBE since 2004, but it's never fit well with body armor and has been criticized for causing back, shoulder and knee pain. In a 2009 survey of 770 Marines and corpsmen, the pack was rated "completely unacceptable.""

One man's treasure ...
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

NIN

Quote from: Bobble on June 04, 2013, 06:02:32 PM

"Marines have used ILBE since 2004, but it's never fit well with body armor and has been criticized for causing back, shoulder and knee pain. In a 2009 survey of 770 Marines and corpsmen, the pack was rated "completely unacceptable.""

One man's treasure ...

We can assume CAP members won't be in body armor....
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pylon

One man's treasure ...

Every grunt has to complain about something. ;)   I used it as a grunt, including with my body armor, and didn't have any particular complaints. 

Bobble

Quote from: NIN on June 04, 2013, 06:07:19 PM

One man's treasure ...

We can assume CAP members won't be in body armor....

I'm more than willing to make that assumption also.  However, the excerpt isn't written as "... with body armor and because of that has been criticized ...".
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

Bobble

I guess that it will remain a mystery (for us, at least) regarding exactly what those surveyed Marines disliked about the ILBE.  From http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/article/20101208/NEWS/12080308/Corps-looks-field-100-000-new-packs :

"Plans to improve or replace the ILBE pack were put in motion after the Corps surveyed 770 battle-tested Marines and corpsmen last year, seeking their opinions on durability, usage, fit and integration, among other things. Marines overwhelmingly panned the ILBE, officials said, although a breakdown of the survey results was unavailable because they are considered "acquisition sensitive material.""

For more info, http://forums.militarytimes.com/archive/index.php/t-1583267.html
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

Flying Pig

You can also get, or make on your own, a high visibility dust cover.  It looks like a big shower cap!  That way you arent on a SAR humping through the brush in Camo. 

http://www.fortbraggsurplus.us/US-Army-Issued-Backpack-Wheel-Dust-Cover-p/dust-cover.htm

GroundHawg

I sell the combo (main pack and assault pack) for $80 at my shop. They are sturdy but as has been stated before, the MARPAT pattern is not the best setup for a SAR team.

Pylon

Quote from: GroundHawg on June 11, 2013, 04:34:35 PM
I sell the combo (main pack and assault pack) for $80 at my shop. They are sturdy but as has been stated before, the MARPAT pattern is not the best setup for a SAR team.

Neither are BDUs, but we get the job done nonetheless.  Plus, we also have to remember that not all members who go into the field on CAP time are doing SAR or Ground Team training.  I think back to my time as a cadet and every bivouac or training in the field had nothing to do with emergency services.

Hawk200

Quote from: Pylon on June 04, 2013, 04:07:26 PM
That new pack looks pretty sweet. I'm already thinking about selling off the old stuff, and getting one of those.

DJN245

I don't know how much the new pack will cost or how "sweet" it looks, either way don't let the pattern be what prevents you from getting a pack that might work allot better for you than that silly MOLLE or ALICE gear you currently have. You could very easily make a waterproof orange pack cover/ dust cover for your pack or sew strips of reflective tape onto you pack if visibility is your issue.

People aren't silly enough to forgo getting the house that suits their needs just because it isnt in a color they don't like. That stuff can be changed or dealt with. Go for practicality not appearance, unless choosing a girlfriend ;)

MajorM

To be contrary... I work with homebuyers all the time and there are plenty who will not buy a house just because its the wrong color :)

Hawk200

Quote from: DJN245 on June 18, 2013, 04:44:30 PM
I don't know how much the new pack will cost or how "sweet" it looks, either way don't let the pattern be what prevents you from getting a pack that might work allot better for you than that silly MOLLE or ALICE gear you currently have. You could very easily make a waterproof orange pack cover/ dust cover for your pack or sew strips of reflective tape onto you pack if visibility is your issue.

People aren't silly enough to forgo getting the house that suits their needs just because it isnt in a color they don't like. That stuff can be changed or dealt with. Go for practicality not appearance, unless choosing a girlfriend ;)
Pattern and color really have no impact on my decision. The Marine pack has a lighter frame, and looks a little more streamlined than my 10th Mountain ruck, which is always a plus. Plus, the day pack (I'm not calling it an "assault pack") clips on top easier. Overall, it just seems like it would be easier to carry than the one I have. All I want is the ruck, the pouches that go with it, and the day pack.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 20, 2013, 03:44:37 PM
Quote from: DJN245 on June 18, 2013, 04:44:30 PM

Pattern and color really have no impact on my decision. The Marine pack has a lighter frame, and looks a little more streamlined than my 10th Mountain ruck, which is always a plus. Plus, the day pack (I'm not calling it an "assault pack") clips on top easier. Overall, it just seems like it would be easier to carry than the one I have. All I want is the ruck, the pouches that go with it, and the day pack.

If you want to get rid of your 10th Mountain Ruck let me know. 

Hawk200

Quote from: GroundHawg on July 05, 2013, 01:57:35 AM
If you want to get rid of your 10th Mountain Ruck let me know.
Will do. Maybe in the next month or two. The wife won't let me have any more until I get rid of the old stuff. We're kinda low on room. Will PM when I'm ready to discuss details.