Source and style for sew-on reflective striping?

Started by Eclipse, May 20, 2013, 02:13:07 PM

SarDragon

Fabric or mesh vest? That stuff will not do well on the mesh. There's not enough surface area for the adhesive to do a good job.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Bob just sealed it: No more ground team for NIN. I won't dress up like that.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on June 07, 2013, 10:53:28 PM
Fabric or mesh vest? That stuff will not do well on the mesh. There's not enough surface area for the adhesive to do a good job.

This is a full-fabric vest that has a velour feel to it.

I won't be using any adhesive, or at least not beyond positioning it.  From there it'll be sewn down on a machine.

Quote from: NIN on June 07, 2013, 10:56:18 PM
Bob just sealed it: No more ground team for NIN. I won't dress up like that.

Nice.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on June 07, 2013, 10:56:53 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 07, 2013, 10:53:28 PM

This is a full-fabric vest that has a velour feel to it.

I won't be using any adhesive, or at least not beyond positioning it.  From there it'll be sewn down on a machine.

OK, then it should do well. I tried some iron-on stuff on a mesh M/C vest, and it lasted about 30 miles. Sewing was the only fix.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Even with sewing I have some concerns about the long-tern durability of this stuff.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on June 07, 2013, 11:56:03 PM
Even with sewing I have some concerns about the long-tern durability of this stuff.

The sew-on Scotchlite that this resembles (sans colored ribbon) was pretty durable. I had some stuff that was on a parka that got dry cleaned once a month over four Maine winters, and it held up well. I'll look for some when I'm out tomorrow, and see how it looks. Dritz makes some high quality products.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 21, 2013, 04:05:42 PM
I've attached a handy guide to ANSI II standards with some examples of compliant stripe patterns.

QuoteIt must have 201 in.² of retroreflective trim and 775 in.² of fluorescent
background material.
What do you do with small cadets that don't have 201 in^2 of torso?  >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

davidsinn

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 08, 2013, 01:38:15 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 21, 2013, 04:05:42 PM
I've attached a handy guide to ANSI II standards with some examples of compliant stripe patterns.

QuoteIt must have 201 in.² of retroreflective trim and 775 in.² of fluorescent
background material.
What do you do with small cadets that don't have 201 in^2 of torso?  >:D

Attach more cadets until you get enough surface area. >:D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 22, 2013, 06:02:07 PM
Agree. In this case, the "spirit" of the law (safety) is more important than the law itself. I've seen folks covering their ANSI II vests with camouflaged gear; that obviously defeats the purpose of the vest. I've also seen members covering their gear with ANSI II vests, making it impractical to use in the field. You really need the right combination between "form and function". Since, at the end of the day, we need to be able to accomplish the mission successfully and safely.

That's one of the reasons (another being a Captain with too much money some days  >:D) on this pack in the reflective yellow/lime green. Combined with the vest under it, the entire thing is incredibly visible. Almost painfully so on days when it's a bit gray but UV light is coming through just fine. You'd think it was radioactive.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Agree. In this case, the "spirit" of the law (safety) is more important than the law itself. I've seen folks covering their ANSI II vests with camouflaged gear; that obviously defeats the purpose of the vest. I've also seen members covering their gear with ANSI II vests, making it impractical to use in the field. You really need the right combination between "form and function". Since, at the end of the day, we need to be able to accomplish the mission successfully and safely.

How does putting stripes on your gear make the "impractical for the field"?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on June 14, 2013, 11:26:49 AM

How does putting stripes on your gear make the "impractical for the field"?

RTFM, Bob. If you cover your fancy gear vest or pack with an ANSI II vest, it makes all the goodies inside less accessible.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret