How important is Encampment?

Started by Aeolus, April 20, 2013, 12:19:08 AM

Aeolus

I have just joined CAP, and learned about encampment. (Tri-wing encampment, if it matters!) Before CAP, I registered for a camp. The dates overlap, and either I would not finish encampment,or be two days late for a week long camp. Most likely I just won't be able to attend both. So, how important is encampment? I've heard you can't get promoted if you don't attend encampment, is this true? Which should I attend?

MIKE

You will need to complete one if you want to be promoted to C/2d Lt, or attend National Cadet Special Activities.  There is no requirement that you attend one during your first year.  When I was a cadet I attended as a C/MSgt the summer before I got my Mitchell award.
Mike Johnston

a2capt

There are also about 40 of them in a year. You can attend one elsewhere. Or wait until next Winter/Summer. Some Wings' run them during the Christmas school break, too.

NC Hokie

Encampment is only required for the Mitchell Award, which confers promotion to C/2d Lt. Since you just joined, you don't "need" to complete encampment until next summer, since it will take you 18 months (minimum, unless you're also a JROTC cadet) to complete all of the other requirements for the Mitchell Award.

That said, completing encampment this summer will make you eligible for the various National Cadet Special Activities next summer, and it is generally accepted that cadets that go to encampment as soon as possible stick around longer than those that don't.

To address your specific issue, you only need to complete 80% of the encampment curriculum to graduate, so you may be able to do both activities this summer. Talk to your squadron leadership and ask them to discuss your issue with the encampment commander, who has the ability to authorize early departure in situations such as yours.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

LCG8928

I would recommend going to encampment. As a new cadet it'll be a great experience for you and help you get the hang of things. Also as has been stated completing it will make you eligible for a lot of cool National Cadet Special Activities and over all make you a better cadet.

Eclipse

Quote from: NC Hokie on April 20, 2013, 01:57:14 AMTo address your specific issue, you only need to complete 80% of the encampment curriculum to graduate, so you may be able to do both activities this summer. Talk to your squadron leadership and ask them to discuss your issue with the encampment commander, who has the ability to authorize early departure in situations such as yours.

I just noticed this - this is likely not going to happen, or even be an option.  The 80% rule is not intended as a "day pass" from the encampment, it is there to accommodate unforeseen
circumstances for the activity, which might preclude completing the entire plan, or for situations such as illness or other unplanned events.   Rarely do encampments commanders allow for pre-arranged absences or "early-outs", if for no other reason then if yo walk in the door with only 80% already, and something happens which knocks out more curriculum, you might wind up with no credit anyway. 

Make a choice, move on, and go to encampment the next year, or in another wing with a different schedule.

As to how important it is?  Those of us involved understand that it can be a key-factor in a cadet's retention and overall CAP experience.

"That Others May Zoom"