Airline: The Story of Pan Am

Started by Eclipse, April 19, 2013, 01:47:27 AM

MSG Mac

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on October 11, 2013, 03:55:03 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2013, 07:40:44 PM
Economy class seating in a 1970 Pan Am 747:

http://midcenturymodernfreak.tumblr.com/post/61211969616/c-1970-economy-class-seating-on-a-pan-am-747-via

How timely, I just flew to DC a couple of weeks ago in coach; I would have loved to of had this much room. I was then fortunate enough to sneak into the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum just before the shutdown and really enjoyed looking at their Pan AM & Airlines display.  If only air travel were that fun again.

What really impressed me on the first 747's was that they had a piano lounge in both first class and coach
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Pan Am flies again

http://www.mpkelley.com/pan-am-flies-again

"In an attempt to share this legacy with the world, I worked with Anthony Toth, one of the world's foremost experts on aviation history, to bring Pan Am back to life in 2014. This is the story of Pan Am Flight 120, from Los Angeles International (LAX) to London Heathrow (LHR) on a Boeing 747-200, Clipper Gem Of The Ocean."

http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/07/05/the-guy-who-built-a-1970s-pan-am-airplane-in-his-garage/

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20130221/redondo-beach-mans-lifelike-model-recreates-pan-am-747-in-city-of-industry-warehouse

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Pan Am shut down in 1991. That was a class outfit. Thank you for sharing.  8) 

PHall

Quote from: Private Investigator on November 26, 2014, 08:26:16 AM

Pan Am is alive and well, as a railroad! 

Several years ago the owner of Guilford Transportation Systems brought the rights to the name and the trademarks for the logos.
He then changed the name of his railroad to Pan Am Railways.  This railroad operates in the Northeast up around Boston.

JC004

Quote from: PHall on November 26, 2014, 05:51:45 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on November 26, 2014, 08:26:16 AM

Pan Am is alive and well, as a railroad! 

Several years ago the owner of Guilford Transportation Systems brought the rights to the name and the trademarks for the logos.
He then changed the name of his railroad to Pan Am Railways.  This railroad operates in the Northeast up around Boston.

Private Investigator

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing.  8)

AirAux

Don't forget the food was really good in those days with real silverware..  Geeeesh, I miss those days.

JC004

Quote from: AirAux on December 10, 2014, 03:03:50 PM
Don't forget the food was really good in those days with real silverware..  Geeeesh, I miss those days.

I ended up with some of that silverware a year or so ago.

LSThiker

Quote from: JC004 on December 10, 2014, 04:43:47 PM

I was flying from Chicago to Japan 3 years ago. The in-flight meals had metal spoons, forks, and butter knives for all three sections of passengers.  I was shocked.

In fact, whenever I fly internationally, I carry my titanium spork for use on the aircraft. No one has had a problem with it. After I am done, I wipe it off and stow it

Eclipse

I'm surprised you can get it through TSA.

This most recent flight to the Great White North was the first time my knees were honestly up in the
back of the guy in front of me. 

ERJ 145:

I have no idea what these people are so happy about.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on December 10, 2014, 05:17:30 PM

They are paid.

MacGruff

They are paid models.

I've just flown on one of those this past weekend from Houston to Pittsburgh. 2 and a half hours of sitting in my friendly neighbor's laps! Also, have you noticed that people today bring to the cabin all their worldly belongings?

???

Eclipse

Quote from: MacGruff on December 10, 2014, 06:25:07 PM

They are paid models.

I've just flown on one of those this past weekend from Houston to Pittsburgh. 2 and a half hours of sitting in my friendly neighbor's laps! Also, have you noticed that people today bring to the cabin all their worldly belongings?

???

Yeah, it's ridiculous, all to save a couple bucks or couple minutes at baggage.
Granted when I go someone else is normally paying the fees, but that doesn't explain people
on SouthWest who can check bags for free and still drag everything on the plane.
Give me curbside check every time, please.  $2 and a smile and you're walking right past
a 2-snake line inside towards Precheck.

On this 145, though, even my tactical purse was tight in the overhead.  I've gotten in the habit
of pulling the drive out of my notebook and checking it in my luggage, with just a small
tac purse with a tablet and some other "stuck in the airport" essentials.  This last couple trips,
though, I've had too much weight in the checked bag to add the computer.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

This most recent flight to the Great White North was the first time my knees were honestly up in the
back of the guy in front of me. 

ERJ 145:

Lots of 145s out of here...

I don't mind them, always get the single-seat by myself, don't have to worry about a neighbour.

LSThiker

Forks are kind of a grey area.  They are sharp and pointy, which in general are prohibited.  However, they are not specifically mentioned on the prohibited item list.  Spoons and butter knives (specifically on the exempt list) are allowed.  Then if you combine that spoon and fork for a spork, it gets really grey.  TSA just let it go.   

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Although, now I am told fork is allowed and specifically stated on the TSA app, but cannot really say for sure since I do not have the app.

Private Investigator

... and having a cigarette after the meal.  ::)

PHall

Quote from: LSThiker on December 10, 2014, 05:04:44 PM

I was flying from Chicago to Japan 3 years ago. The in-flight meals had metal spoons, forks, and butter knives for all three sections of passengers.  I was shocked.

In fact, whenever I fly internationally, I carry my titanium spork for use on the aircraft. No one has had a problem with it. After I am done, I wipe it off and stow it

I'm cheaper then you, I use the plastic sporks that I throw away after the meal and TSA has no problem with at all!
It's a little habit I picked up from flying as a AMC aircrewmember for almost 30 years.

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on December 11, 2014, 04:04:05 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on December 10, 2014, 05:04:44 PM

I'm cheaper then you, I use the plastic sporks that I throw away after the meal and TSA has no problem with at all!
It's a little habit I picked up from flying as a AMC aircrewmember for almost 30 years.

Cut my life into pizzas, this is my plastic spork.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

JacobAnn

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 11, 2014, 09:09:20 AM

... and having a cigarette after the meal.  ::)

The cigarette is one thing I don't miss.  Glad those days are behind us.