Unknown Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Jaison009, April 15, 2013, 07:40:59 PM

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on April 16, 2013, 05:35:02 AM
Not really, by that info alone.
I agree, especially nowadays, you can build a bomb with brains, motivation and an Internet connection

usafcap1

Does anyone think that North Korea had any thing to do with it? Remember they did say that they were going to do some thing on the 15th(Tax Day).
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Rick-DEL

I do not think NK was involved. I would tend to lean towards al Qeida or an arm of. They needed to make some noise, to raise their presence. My guess would be that if NK does something, it'll be towards South Korea, which indirectly (and directly) hits us. I could be wrong....

NIN

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 16, 2013, 12:15:39 PM
Does anyone think that North Korea had any thing to do with it? Remember they did say that they were going to do some thing on the 15th(Tax Day Kim Il-Sung's birthday).

FTFY.  The IRS & the DPRK aren't at odds.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

lordmonar

Quote from: Rick-DEL on April 16, 2013, 12:22:32 PM
I do not think NK was involved. I would tend to lean towards al Qeida or an arm of. They needed to make some noise, to raise their presence. My guess would be that if NK does something, it'll be towards South Korea, which indirectly (and directly) hits us. I could be wrong....
Let's not forget our own home grown terrorists and just plain nut balls.

Heck this could have been a diversion for a robbery......it's been done before.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

cap235629

Please keep my brother Joseph Hobbs and his family in your prayers. The 8 year old boy who was killed yesterday was from his neighborhood and friends with his twin boys. Dorchester is a very tight knit and close community. The families there are ALL in shock and mourning. Martin has been welcomed into the loving arms of our Heavenly Father and is at peace but his 6 year old sister has lost her legs and his mother is in critical condition with a less than hopeful prognosis. Martin also has an 11 year old brother who sustained non life threatening injuries while they waited for their dad to cross the finish line. Pray for them all, hug your babies and hold them tight. There is such evil in this world that we must remember that no one is immune. Pray for and be thankful for all of those who that when the bombs went off, ran TOWARDS the explosions to help. Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS, Military, Veterans, Doctors, Nurses and bystanders. ALL put others before themselves. THAT is how we defeat the evil!

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?" "Here I am," I said; "send me!" Isaiah 6:8
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

stillamarine

So was it a boy killed? All the reports I've seen was a little girl.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Angus

I'm from Boston, it was an 8-year old boy.  Martin Richards.  The pictures of the girl are an internet fabrication. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Luis R. Ramos

I read Yahoo news, and it reported "a little boy." The NY Daily News also reported a little boy.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

abdsp51

Does it really matter if it was a boy or girl?  At the end of the day that is a child who was lost to an animal who will never grow up and achieve their dreams and goals.  Someone's son/daughter, brother/sister etc and a family that will never be the same again.   We can speculate all day long on who did it and why.  Personally this thing smells like homegrown but that's just an opinion.  This was a heinous act and the responsible parties need to be held accountable for tehir actions.

cap235629

This is Martin.  He was 8 years old and attended Saint Anne's Catholic Elementary School.  Please pray for his sister.  She is an Irish Dancer and has lost her legs.  Their mothers prognosis is not good.  Their 11 year old brother received minor injuries.  The entire Dorchester Center neighborhood is rallying around the family but this is devastating to one of the most close knit neighborhoods in America.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Rick-DEL

My heart bleeds. I grew up in RI, spent a lot of time in Boston, graduated from Northeastern University. This could have been anywhere in the US yesterday...that's the frightening part. Such cowardly acts...sickening. My thoughts and prayers to the families and the community.

Майор Хаткевич

Looks like nails, shards and ball bearings. Speculation that devices were low powered and at least partially failed....if you can describe anything that causes such trauma low powered.

abdsp51

Alot of the materials used can be found locally and put together.  The more that is released the more this seems like IMO a homegrown deal instead of foreign.  It sucks for the victims and their families that there are still animals out there that would do these things.

Майор Хаткевич

Thing that jumps out, is that foreign based LOVE to take credit. Then again, homegrown with a cause do as well. Factthat they haven't may mean they are planning more attacks.

abdsp51

Still looking at the footage and the damage to the structures screams homegrown.  There is a lot of variables not know as to why credit hasn't been claimed. 

NIN

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 16, 2013, 05:13:29 PM
Looks like nails, shards and ball bearings. Speculation that devices were low powered and at least partially failed....if you can describe anything that causes such trauma low powered.

They're looking at the devices being built around pressure cookers.  Its been 30 years since I've seen a copy of "The Poor Man's James Bond" or "The Anarchist's Cookbook," but I'd not be surprised if this kind of thing wasn't totally spelled out in there.  the video shows a lot of smoke and brief flame. An IED built around some higher powered stuff generally make a sharper/more direct "BANG" versus a Hollywood-like "boooom". (witness IED videos from Iraq & A-stan)  I mean, if you can call something improvised with something like black powder or similar "low powered," so be it, but judging by the images of injuries found on the news sites, this is akin to people who say "Yeah, pffft, 9mm, its a wimpy cartridge."  If its so "low-powered" please go stand next to it.

Nobody knew for days after the OKC bombing who or what was responsible. It will likely be awhile until information is developed in this case as to whether it is domestic or foreign nutjobs.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pylon

This is the quietest day I've ever experienced in Boston.

But the outpouring of support from people even nowhere near Boston is touching.  This city is tough as nails, proud to a fault, and close-knit despite it being big in size. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

BFreemanMA

I was in charge of one of the teams in the opening area of Athlete's Village, doing a presence patrol and making sure everyone stayed safe. As was said, all MAWG personnel got home safely since our tasking was in the Athlete's Village and, as such, we headed home after everything cleared out.

What struck me and my team members was how we might have interacted and answered questions with people who later were a part of the attack. It was a terrible attack that could have easily happened in the village despite high security. Obviously, CAP never plans to be in situations like this, but it illustrates the importance of proper radio communication and the need to be "always vigilant" If I needed a radio relay, one of the other team members had my back. The worst thing I had to call in was a severe shortage of toilet paper, but its good to know that we were trained and utilizing good reporting procedures.

My heart goes out to those brothers and sisters who were affected by this attack. I pray for your quick recovery and for solace towards those family members who lost their loved ones. Thanks to all who worked and helped Boston in its time of need.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Woodsy

Boston Globe reporting 1 suspect in custody and manhunt on for the 2nd. Also reporting an MBTA officer being treated for gunshot wound in connection with the manhunt...  That's in addition to the MIT officer already KIA.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/

CNN and Fox News not saying it's related. That's a whole lot of firepower on the streets though...  Could be a long night...