Unknown Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Jaison009, April 15, 2013, 07:40:59 PM

capmaj

All at MAWG are safe. MAWG worked the starting line this a.m., but all souls had returned home earlier.

Eclipse

Quote from: Woodsy on April 15, 2013, 08:42:17 PMWith the cell phones "turned off" would GETS still work?  Or are the towers simply shut down completely?

GETS only provides priority access on the system if it works.   If they shut the cells down, there's nothing to have priority on.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Shutting down the towers entirely is a defensive measure, in case there are additional devices that are remotely triggered by cell phones...kill the network, no way to remote detonate...unless the bomber programmed a fail-safe to detonate on LoS

MSG Mac

Just heard that there was also an explosion at the Kennedy Library in Dorchester, about 5 miles from Copley Sq.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JeffDG

Press release from them says it was a mechanical issue and unrelated.

The fog-of-war is thick right now!

a2capt

Seems they've shut down the cell phone network in the area, too.

.. to keep them from being used to as possible detonation triggers.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/official-cellphone-service-shut-down-boston

LCG8928

Devil Doc

Hope everyone is OK, i'm glad that the MAWG had not been there when It happened.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

abdsp51

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on April 15, 2013, 08:54:36 PM
Quote from: Woodsy on April 15, 2013, 08:42:17 PMWith the cell phones "turned off" would GETS still work?  Or are the towers simply shut down completely?

GETS only provides priority access on the system if it works.   If they shut the cells down, there's nothing to have priority on.

That's what I figured.  Thanks for the confirmation. 

Pylon

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 15, 2013, 11:24:29 PM
Quote from: NIN on April 15, 2013, 11:21:16 PM
Pylon was in the AO.

Has anyone heard from him?

I'm safe, thanks.  My apartment is a little under 4 miles from the site of the attack.  I was on the marathon route (which goes through my neighborhood) a bit after mile marker 22 cheering on friends who were running and military who were ruck marching the marathon.  Luckily, everyone I know appears to be safe.  Please keep those who were less fortunate in your prayers.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Devil Doc

says your in a NY Squadron but you live in MA? lol
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Pylon

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 16, 2013, 01:34:06 AM
says your in a NY Squadron but you live in MA? lol

I live in Boston.  I do work for NER-NY-408 assisting with public affairs projects because I have a long history with that unit, because that's what my limited free time allows me to contribute, and because I can execute those duties remotely without much issue.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Devil Doc

Ahh, that's cool. Do you go to meetings? Im glad your safe Pylon
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

NIN

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 16, 2013, 01:42:28 AM
Ahh, that's cool. Do you go to meetings? Im glad your safe Pylon

He does go to meetings. Just last week he went to one.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Black Knight

I was watching the news and it says three people are now dead and at least 113 are injured. One of the people killed was an 8 year old boy. Whoever did that is crazy. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families of this tragic event.
C/CMSgt Millson
First Sergeant
Rome City School District Cadet Squadron
NER-NY-801

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: Black Knight on April 16, 2013, 02:30:20 AM
I was watching the news and it says three people are now dead and at least 113 are injured. One of the people killed was an 8 year old boy. Whoever did that is crazy. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families of this tragic event.
CNN says 144 wounded. One of the heros emerging today is a peace activist who's Marine son was killed in Iraq in 2004. He helped with first aid and is in the gruesome picture of the man in the wheelchair missing his legs.

MSG Mac

The bombs (IED) contained ball bearings. These were trained terrorists.

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 16, 2013, 04:36:26 AM
The bombs (IED) contained ball bearings. These were trained terrorists.

Not really, by that info alone.