Wing Conference: To go or not to go?

Started by Stonewall, March 16, 2013, 12:12:24 AM

Stonewall

Wing Conference: To go or not to go?

As a cadet (1987 - 1991) I never attended a wing conference. In fact, I'm not sure if I had ever heard of one, let alone attend one. In 26 years, I've attended 3 wing conferences, 1 region conference, and 1 national conference. Just this past weekend I attended the Florida Wing (FLWG) conference in Orlando and had a blast! This year, I decided to exclusively attend the cadet seminars. After all, I'm a cadet programs officer.

Seminars I attended:

• Blue to Gray - making the transition from cadet to senior (this was taught by newly minted senior members who had been cadets)
  • Emergency Services - cadets getting involved with ES, mostly ground operations since you have to be 18 to fly.
  • Professionalism in Uniform - faux pas and the truth about proper uniform wear.
  • Mary Feik briefing - by Colonel Mary Feik. I highly recommend this if you get the chance.
  • Cadet Bowl - not sure if that's what it's called anymore, but the team knowledge competition; you get it.
All were very impressive seminars with a lot of attendance. My guess is that there were between 75 and 100 cadets present; a great showing if you ask me. In all, there were almost 400 attendees at the conference.

A few observations:

- Uniforms: For the most part, pretty good. But I noticed a large number of ribbons out of sequence, to include a rack that was completely upside down, with a single ribbon on top bottom. Remember, you don't have to wear ribbons. So if yours are dirty or frayed, opt out of wearing them. When you're attending a wing function where the wing and region commander, as well as honored guests, will be present, you may want to consider a haircut.

- Customs and courtesies: Most senior members, me included, don't go hunting for salutes, but I didn't get saluted once. Again, do I need salutes to build my self esteem? No, not in the least. But this observation has me curious to know if cadets are being taught C&C effectively.

- Emergency services: With a packed room at the ES seminar, I noticed there were A LOT of questions that I feel should have already been known by the cadets. Granted, some were asked by airmen, but even a few NCOs, SNCOs, and officers asked basic questions about General Emergency Services (GES) that I assumed most people knew. As a cadet, I sought out information on ES and how to get training. These days, with all the information at your fingertips, I was surprised so little information was known. Perhaps that's why it appears (to me, anyway) that there isn't a lot of involvement in ES here in FLWG.

- Class preparation: Every class that I sat in started off with some technical difficulties that could have been overcome by following the "Five Ps", Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance. Rehearsing and preparing your class is key to success. There shouldn't be an issue trying to figure out how to connect to the internet after you started the class, it should have been done before. By rehearsing, you won't run into the "lack of time" or "too much time" issue. Classes were scheduled for 50 minutes. Two were over and done in less than 20, while another ran over. Have a PLAN if this happens, but it shouldn't if you PLAN in advance, and rehearse. Finally, if you're working with another speaker, work out who is going to do what, and when. Try to get someone else to change the slides for you so you're not on your knees trying to talk and click simultaneously.

- Know your topic: The cadets did such a great job on the ES class, that I presented both of them with my original Ground Operations coin I had made in 2003 (I had a few left that I found the week before). However, call it nerves, or just a misunderstanding, they were passing on a few bits of misinformation. As an example, "243 MHz is only found in the newer ELTs." In the grand scheme of things, this isn't a big deal. Especially since the audience wasn't as knowledgeable as the speaker. But you get the picture. Also, try to plan for questions that the audience may ask. The common ones like "how do I find the GES test?"

Personally, I think a conference is more than a place and time to attend seminars and learn new things.  It is also, and equally as important, a venue for establishing and building relationships.  Call it networking or building your list of Facebook friends, there's no doubt that a conference can be a great place to make friends or learn more about the cadet you stood next to in formation during encampment, but couldn't really talk to.

I was very pleased with the conference, and I encourage others to attend in the future. Before I close, let me ask a few questions in an effort to spark responses...

What would you expect to get out of attending a wing conference?

What classes or seminars would you want to participate in?

Would you consider teaching a seminar yourself? If so, what topic?

If you have attended a conference, was it worth it? Did you gain anything from your experience?

At last weekend's conference, they had an after banquet party where I think Xbox games were played. Is this of interest to you? Could there have been other "after hours" activities that would have been more fun or interesting?

What else?

Serving since 1987.

BHartman007

I had debated whether or not I should try to attend the Wing Conference here, as it will be about a month after my join date (waiting for NHQ to approve my app at the moment), and I didn't know what I would get out of it being that new. On the other hand, I don't know when they'll be holding another one 20 minutes from home.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

ColonelJack

I joined in November of 1981 and attended my first Wing Conference the same month.  It was a fantastic experience that cemented in my mind that I'd done the right thing joining CAP.

BHartman007 ... I highly recommend that you go.  You'll enjoy it.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

BHartman007

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 16, 2013, 03:11:40 AM
I joined in November of 1981...
Would it be poor form to point out that I was born in November of 1981? ;)

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Duke Dillio

I've been to five different conferences through the years.  I haven't been to one wing's conference twice (been to one each in Oregon, Colorado, and California.)  It always seemed to me that the smaller wings put on a better conference than the larger ones for whatever reason.  For example, the Oregon and Colorado Wings have fewer members than CA but their conferences were much better in all aspects (location, activities, after-hours, socially, training, etc.)  If I had the chance, I would instruct at a wing conference and I would most likely teach either some professional development class or give a primer on ground team operations (how it works, what we do, etc.)

ColonelJack

Quote from: BHartman007 on March 16, 2013, 03:26:33 AM
Quote from: ColonelJack on March 16, 2013, 03:11:40 AM
I joined in November of 1981...
Would it be poor form to point out that I was born in November of 1981? ;)

(Dr. Smith)  Oh, the pain ... the pain ... (/Dr. Smith)

Poor form?  Of course not ... excuse me now, sonny, I have to go rub some liniment on my lumbago ...

Jack the Elder   ;D
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

West MI-CAP-Ret

I thought the breakout sessions for Mich Wg Conference today were too specific.  Not enough content.  I think I've gone to my last conference.

Dave
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

SarDragon

How were they too specific? The breakouts I've been in at the CAWG Conf, and the National Boards, were a good way to get up to date on procedures, and get Qs answered about some of the more obscure aspects of the different specialties.

That said, I go to the conferences as much for the social aspect as anything else. I get to meet folks from other units, and the wing staff.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Quote from: DemonOps on March 16, 2013, 10:41:22 PM
I thought the breakout sessions for Mich Wg Conference today were too specific.  Not enough content.  I think I've gone to my last conference.

Dave

I had some instant feedback on the MIWG conference today and heard nothing but positive things.
Serving since 1987.

Slim

Quote from: Stonewall on March 16, 2013, 10:53:39 PM
Quote from: DemonOps on March 16, 2013, 10:41:22 PM

Dave

I had some instant feedback on the MIWG conference today and heard nothing but positive things.

And I'm sure it probably was.  But, after a while, wing conferences just get to be the same old thing year in-year out.  I would estimate that my conference count is probably about the same as my encampments (close to 30), and they all pretty much say the same thing every year:  "We did this, we did that, XXX ops hours flown, XXX o rides flown, XXX CD, XXX training/proficiency.  Now here's what we're going to work on for next year..." 

In the last twelve or so years, I'll bet I can count on one hand the number of breakout sessions I've been to.  I spend most of my time in the halls networking, catching up with friends old and new, or somehow stumping for encampment.  The year I was wing CP officer of the year, they had to send someone to get me because I was with the encampment commander finalizing cadet staff during the award ceremony.  Since I have no involvement with encampment this year, or much of anything else right at the moment, there wasn't really much sense in burning three vacation days (of the seven I get a year) to go listen to the same old speeches.  I'm hoping that changes in the future, and I can reengage into the areas I enjoy the most in CAP, but until then I'm holding off on some of the investments I make to CAP.

Knowing our wing commander the way I do, I'm sure his presentations and speeches were very informative and entertaining, but I didn't feel the need to take a weekend off work to go listen to it again.

Slim

GroundHawg

As a cadet, I went to Wing Conference every year. Now that I am a SM, I have not went to one yet. It could be that Kentucky hasnt had one since I rejoined in 2009 >:( I am considering Indiana or Ohio (maybe Michigan) for next year. There is alot of the training that is required that is not being offered to us that I could get knocked out at a conference.

ol'fido

I am not going to the ILWG conference this year is December. We held the last one in Springfield, IL which is about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive north of me in central Illinois. This years conference is in Chicago at some fancy hotel/conference center. My gas up there and back will cost more than my expenses for the whole weekend for an alternate location I suggested in Springfield that had all the facilities and billeting we needed. So unless something overwhelmingly compels me to attend, I won't be going. Silly me, I thought Springfield was in the center of the state(It is the state capitol) but apparently it is in Southern Illinois. Now I live in "Southern Illinois" and I have to drive 3 hours to get there? That ain't "southern"!! >:(
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Walkman

I really enjoyed MIWG Conference this year.

I just realized that I've been a presenter for a break-out session for every Wing Conference I've attended. Next year I might not do one just so I can relax a little.

Woodsy

Quote from: Walkman on March 21, 2013, 07:53:18 PM
I really enjoyed MIWG Conference this year.

I just realized that I've been a presenter for a break-out session for every Wing Conference I've attended. Next year I might not do one just so I can relax a little.

Most people don't realize the amount of work that goes into a wing conference for the organizers and wing staff members.  It's constant action, doing this, doing that, making sure everything runs smoothly.  We do it for the other members, not for ourselves obviously, because we really don't get to enjoy it.  My favorite part of conferences is catching up with friends I don't get to see often, but there's really not much time for that. 

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on March 17, 2013, 02:20:09 PM
I am not going to the ILWG conference this year is December. We held the last one in Springfield, IL which is about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive north of me in central Illinois. This years conference is in Chicago at some fancy hotel/conference center. My gas up there and back will cost more than my expenses for the whole weekend for an alternate location I suggested in Springfield that had all the facilities and billeting we needed. So unless something overwhelmingly compels me to attend, I won't be going. Silly me, I thought Springfield was in the center of the state(It is the state capitol) but apparently it is in Southern Illinois. Now I live in "Southern Illinois" and I have to drive 3 hours to get there? That ain't "southern"!!

Springfield may well be in the geographic center of the state, but it is not where the majority of the membership lives.  The entire local Group is struggling just to maintain viability, and few members from that area (a couple of active posters here who are the exceptions not withstanding), participate in anything outside their home unit(s).

For the record, the conference is not scheduled for "Chicago" - very few members actually live there, either.  It's also not in a "fancy hotel", unless you consider "Holiday Inn" as "fancy".  It's actually in a major suburb which has a glut of conference and hotel rooms so rates can be negotiated "off book" fairly readily.  It is also easily accessible for those from National and Region who would be expected to attend, as well as those coming in from neighboring wings which have a fair number of members who participate in ILWG activities.

There's no point in having conferences and missions outside where the majority of the membership lives just to be politically correct - generally speaking the members from the local area don't attend anyway, which means that the overall costs for the activity were significantly increased with no justification.

Outside the immediate area of the state capital, there is very little in Springfield in regards to lodging, etc., and the majority of the decent places near the capital are artificially expensive because they are a small market.

We had the same issue recently with the cadet competition.  Having it in your neck of the woods simply meant that less teams competed,
and interestingly, not one team from the local area, including the unit on the base where the activity was held.

The "fix", as I always say, is more people.  The area has the resources and experienced personnel, not to mention the only significant USAF presence in the Region, to grow the membership if the will was present, not the least of which includes the #1&2 people in the wing.  For whatever reason, the #'s have been static for a decade, just like the rest of the wing.

The wing can't change where people live, nor should it be expected to drag the majority of the membership all over the state just
for appearances sake.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

We could have had the conference at the IMA in Springfield. Plenty of room for lodging, conference rooms, a large auditorium , and room for a banquet. It would haveg  cost both the organization and the members a fraction of what any hotel or conference center would cost. We could probably have let the cadets stay for free. Expensive is a relative term. Many of the counties down here are at double digit unemployment. My own county is at nearly 14o/o . And just because the majority of members are in the "Chicago" area doesn't mean that the rest of the wing should always have the burden of travelling to the opposite end of the state for conferences,missions, or training. BTW, the cost per night for a private BOQ room at the IMA is 20 dollars. I don't think that the Holiday Inn could negotiate for that. Plus, conferences shouldn't be convenient for the AF , region, or NHQ folks.That's their job. Make conferences happen in a way that doesn't cost 4-5 hundred dollars for a weekend.

Stonewall

Cost for me at FLWG conference:

After all was said and done, including taxes and "related" fees, hotel alone cost me $250 for 2 nights.
Conference itself, plus banquet, I think was $75.
Round trip fuel: $75
Food/Drinks: $200 (including the first night where I willingly paid for a rather large tab at the bar)

Total:  $600 (would have been closer to $475 if it wasn't for the "bar situation".

I also spent about $30 at Vanguard.

Plus, I spent $175 for a new service coat prior to the conference.  I "needed" it anyway, but probably would have held off getting it.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on March 22, 2013, 03:39:49 PM
We could have had the conference at the IMA in Springfield. Plenty of room for lodging, conference rooms, a large auditorium , and room for a banquet. It would haveg  cost both the organization and the members a fraction of what any hotel or conference center would cost. We could probably have let the cadets stay for free. Expensive is a relative term. Many of the counties down here are at double digit unemployment. My own county is at nearly 14o/o . And just because the majority of members are in the "Chicago" area doesn't mean that the rest of the wing should always have the burden of travelling to the opposite end of the state for conferences,missions, or training. BTW, the cost per night for a private BOQ room at the IMA is 20 dollars. I don't think that the Holiday Inn could negotiate for that. Plus, conferences shouldn't be convenient for the AF , region, or NHQ folks.That's their job. Make conferences happen in a way that doesn't cost 4-5 hundred dollars for a weekend.

Actually, that's exactly what that means.  You're suggesting that the majority should support the minority?  That doesn't make sense on any scale, and makes even less sense in the practical reality that the odds are the participation from those areas won't be any greater just because the activity is in their backyard.

As to unemployment and other non-CAP factors, not relevant.  Things are tough all over.

As to the AF, Region and NHQ folks, most of those people are volunteers just like the rest of us, and again, you don't drag the majority of people around to the benefit of the minority, especially when the odds of the minority even showing up are minimal.

We've been having this conversation in our wing forever - most of it is based on North / South bias and issues that are based in economic and population reality and are not related to CAP.  More then 2/3rds of the membership as a whole is in the Northern part of the state,
and if you factor in being active, probably even more then that.

The only way that is ever going to be fixed is for the areas with lower membership and participation to step up and build their numbers so they are a legitimate factor in planning. we're told "that's not possible", etc., etc., fair enough, but you can't have it both ways.

Most wing conferences are an exercise in checking boxes anyway - a few breakouts that rehash information readily available to all and months old by the time its presented, schedules that never take into account that the same people do everything so you don't run major OPS and CP classes at the same time because you cannabilze your audience and defeat your own purpose, and a rubber-chicken banquet
to hand out awards where 1/2 the people on the list didn't show.

Add-in the "We need something for cadets..." which is nearly impossible, 1/2-empty commander's calls and CAC meetings (because not everyone showed up), and a lot of smoke with little fire.

Getting people interested at all is difficult enough, let alone expecting them to drive 3-5 hours for no other reason then to
"move things around", only to find that no one in the local area could be bothered to show and the drive was a complete waste of time and money.

Some activities have no choice in venue - they require a specific facility or the options are limited, but when options are available,
you don't plan something with a location where 100 people drive for 4 hours just to avoid 10 people driving 6.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Quote from: Stonewall on March 22, 2013, 03:55:54 PM
Cost for me at FLWG conference:

After all was said and done, including taxes and "related" fees, hotel alone cost me $250 for 2 nights.
Conference itself, plus banquet, I think was $75.
Round trip fuel: $75
Food/Drinks: $200 (including the first night where I willingly paid for a rather large tab at the bar)

Total:  $600 (would have been closer to $475 if it wasn't for the "bar situation".

I also spent about $30 at Vanguard.

Plus, I spent $175 for a new service coat prior to the conference.  I "needed" it anyway, but probably would have held off getting it.

Whoa...

I drove an hour, put in a tank of gas and spent $49 for the conference & banquet fees. But then again, I was there and back again. No overnight stay, no meals out to socialize, etc.

A.Member

Quote from: GroundHawg on March 17, 2013, 12:49:53 PMThere is alot of the training that is required that is not being offered to us that I could get knocked out at a conference.
This is exactly what a Wing conference should not be.  We have SAREX's, etc. for that.   

A Wing conference is a place to bring the membership together to celebrate accomplishments, network with fellow members (and ideally partner agencies and vendors), share ideas, and align the membership with a vision for the future. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Walkman

Quote from: A.Member on March 22, 2013, 07:06:47 PM
A Wing conference is a place to bring the membership together to celebrate accomplishments, network with fellow members (and ideally partner agencies and vendors), share ideas, and align the membership with a vision for the future.

And wing conference is also a good place to be re-inspired and re-invigorated about how cool CAP is and what it's value is for those of us who spend too much time getting bogged down in the dirt here on CT. It was for me anyway...

SarDragon

I've been to 4 or 5 wing conferences over the years. California is one of the three biggest wings (not counting Alaska) in terms of end-to-end distance. Because of that distance, and the layout of the population centers, we move the conference around - North, Central, South, Central, repeat. North is in the SF Bay area, Central is usually in Santa Maria, a small city with a Radisson right at the airport, and South is usually in Orange County, south of LA. Everybody has a conference close to their local area every couple of years. Some folks have to drive 5 or 6 hours to get there, no matter where it is, so the crowd differs every year, but it seems to work out OK.

As for content, I've never found it to be horribly repetitive. It's often a chance to get up-to-date on new tech,and procedures. Last year, we had a great class on Aerial Photographer. I've never been disappointed with attending.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Brad

Ugh what I would do for a Wing conference this year. We didn't have ours this past year because our Wing CC had medical issues, so now I'm waiting to hear about the next big thing I can jump on. Having a 6-month old kid kinda limits my ability to travel great distances, and I don't really have the money for the larger conferences anyway so I'm having to wait for the next Wing conference so I can pick up my last Level III requirement.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

ol'fido

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2013, 04:36:00 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on March 22, 2013, 03:39:49 PM

Actually, that's exactly what that means.  You're suggesting that the majority should support the minority?  That doesn't make sense on any scale, and makes even less sense in the practical reality that the odds are the participation from those areas won't be any greater just because the activity is in their backyard.

As to unemployment and other non-CAP factors, not relevant.  Things are tough all over.

As to the AF, Region and NHQ folks, most of those people are volunteers just like the rest of us, and again, you don't drag the majority of people around to the benefit of the minority, especially when the odds of the minority even showing up are minimal.

We've been having this conversation in our wing forever - most of it is based on North / South bias and issues that are based in economic and population reality and are not related to CAP.  More then 2/3rds of the membership as a whole is in the Northern part of the state,
and if you factor in being active, probably even more then that.

The only way that is ever going to be fixed is for the areas with lower membership and participation to step up and build their numbers so they are a legitimate factor in planning. we're told "that's not possible", etc., etc., fair enough, but you can't have it both ways.

Most wing conferences are an exercise in checking boxes anyway - a few breakouts that rehash information readily available to all and months old by the time its presented, schedules that never take into account that the same people do everything so you don't run major OPS and CP classes at the same time because you cannabilze your audience and defeat your own purpose, and a rubber-chicken banquet
to hand out awards where 1/2 the people on the list didn't show.

Add-in the "We need something for cadets..." which is nearly impossible, 1/2-empty commander's calls and CAC meetings (because not everyone showed up), and a lot of smoke with little fire.

Getting people interested at all is difficult enough, let alone expecting them to drive 3-5 hours for no other reason then to
"move things around", only to find that no one in the local area could be bothered to show and the drive was a complete waste of time and money.

Some activities have no choice in venue - they require a specific facility or the options are limited, but when options are available,
you don't plan something with a location where 100 people drive for 4 hours just to avoid 10 people driving 6.
No, I am not suggesting that the majority support the minority and it's just pomposity to look at it like that. What I am suggesting is that the "wing" act like a "wing"  and do things in such a way that all members feel like they are vital to the organization. It's unit friggin' cohesion. And it's the kind of thing that will build the numbers you are talking about. You don't write people off just because of a happenstance of geography.

What came first? Downstate units not wanting to participate because they don't want to drive to the Chicago area eight or nine times a year. Or wing just deciding that since downstate units weren't participating at the same rate as area units it just makes more sense to hold activities within the metro Chicago areas. The reason this discussion has been going on for years is because thing like this have been happening for years. People from downstate have been complaining about this for years. It's gotten to the point that they have pretty much given up trying to participate. So now you have the proverbial self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yes, most of the people from the AF, region, or national are volunteers too. So what? You complain about the "I'm just a volunteer" mentality all the time and then use it to explain why these people shouldn't travel to Springfield. " Lord help us, they might have to take a commuter flight and stay in a hotel". "Heavens to Betsy, there might not even be a Starbucks!" It doesn't seem to stop a group of cadets and seniors from traveling from Texas every year for a week of encampment. They drive for TWO DAYS to get there to CHECK OFF A BOX for their encampment credit.

As for that check box , rubber chicken, poorly organized thing, most people like Walkman said go for the chance to network, see old friends, and have a good social experience. They don't go to watch wing staff members give each other awards and drone on about their functional areas. If they wanted to do that they would just go to a wing staff meeting.

The Illinois Military Academy at Camp Lincoln is where we hold summer encampment. We house up to 172 cadets and 60 some odd seniors there every year in the middle of summer. If we do the conference during the late fall or early spring we would probably have the entire place to ourselves  and could house nearly as many senior as cadets. The only drawback on senior billeting is that the Qs don't provide for co-ed billeting. So a married couple would have to rent two adjoining BOQ rooms. For two rooms for two nights would cost $80. It is $20 dollars per room per night.

For me, since my wife doesn't attend these things, it would cost me approximately $80 for gas(trip up, trip back, refill at home after), $40 dollars for two nights billeting($20 if I came up Sat morning), $60-75 dollars for the conference fee, and whatever other food I wanted for the weekend. So I would spend around $200 to attend a conference 3 hours from my house. The drive time from the Chicago area is longer but not by much(straight shot down I-55). The IMA has a large theater like auditorium, billeting for a couple of hundred, several classrooms for breakouts, and it's cheap. We could afford to comp the cadets billeting.

For me to go to Chicago for a conference: double the gas so $160-200 dollars(taking into account the price in gas in the metro area), two nights stay in the "Holiday Inn" will be approx. $80 to 100 per night( and most likely it would be two nights since I wouldn't want to get up at 2-3 am to drive up 5 or 6 hours to Chicago and be there by the time the conference starts, $60-75 for conference fees, plus my other meals. So if I use the low end of those figures it comes to about $400 dollars or the high end would be $500+.  So should we let everybody drive a 3-4 hours and spend about $200 or make those from down south drive to Chicago and spend $500 while those in Chicago that chose to stay at the hotel are going to be spending $200 anyway in hotel, registration, and meals?

Seems to me that even if they did have to drive to Springfield, the Chicago area members would be spending the same and probably less than the "Holiday Inn" option.

Eclipse

I had an overly long response, but it's unnecessary as I remembered this key point...

The Chief of Staff begged for someone to chair the 2013 conference staff for nearly a year. Crickets.  Had anyone stepped up and volunteered to POC the event,
you could have had it in your AOR.  No one did.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Quote from: Eclipse on March 23, 2013, 03:14:56 AM
I had an overly long response, but it's unnecessary as I remembered this key point...

The Chief of Staff begged for someone to chair the 2013 conference staff for nearly a year. Crickets.  Had anyone stepped up and volunteered to POC the event,
WRONG!!! The very day the COS sent out a email requesting a project officer, I responded that I would be glad to be the project officer if we could have it at the IMA in Springfield. I received no response or acknowledgement from him. Plus, it wasn't nearly a year as the email came out late last summer after the summer encampment.

A month or so later, Barb put out another e mail looking for a project officer.  I responded immediately that I would be glad to be the project officer if we could hold the conference at the IMA. She at least answered and said they were looking to have it in the northern end of the state since it had been in the southern end the year before. I replied that it wasn't in the "southern" part of the state since I live in "southern" and Springfield is 3 hours NORTH OF "southern".

Better polish off that "overly long response".

Spaceman3750

Quote from: ol'fido on March 24, 2013, 06:18:33 PM

WRONG!!! The very day the COS sent out a email requesting a project officer, I responded that I would be glad to be the project officer if we could have it at the IMA in Springfield. I received no response or acknowledgement from him. Plus, it wasn't nearly a year as the email came out late last summer after the summer encampment.

A month or so later, Barb put out another e mail looking for a project officer.  I responded immediately that I would be glad to be the project officer if we could hold the conference at the IMA. She at least answered and said they were looking to have it in the northern end of the state since it had been in the southern end the year before. I replied that it wasn't in the "southern" part of the state since I live in "southern" and Springfield is 3 hours NORTH OF "southern".

Randy, if I end up going you're more than welcome to link up with me in Bloomington or Peoria and ride the rest of the way :).

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on March 24, 2013, 06:18:33 PM

Randy,

If that was how you phrased it, then I'm not surprised.

IMA Springfield is an inappropriate choice for a professional conference.  For starters, who's going to cook?  This isn't an encampment, and most of the participants would be
less then interested in a "chow line" for 2-3 days plus a banquet.

It also doesn't change the math on who would be attending and where they would be coming from.

The bottom line is that you don't drag 100-150 to a location just to make things easier on 10-20 (on a good weekend).  That's simply not a good use of anyone's time
or resources.

There's no point in the verbose response because you are looking at this through a personal filter instead of the best plan for the most people.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

If you're a corporate or business drone with an expense account and trying to sell 10,000 units of widgets, it probably is not where you would want to hold a conference. No bar. Although, the Guard and other agencies seem to be able to use it for their conferences and seminars. It's about holding a conference in a location that will open it up to all the members of Illinois wing. The only personal filter I am using is what's good for EVERYONE and what is affordable for all of our members without undue hardship. We have a top notch facility that has a theater quality auditorium, classrooms for breakouts, and AFFORDABLE billeting for everyone including cadets. If we could find a hotel that has all that but doesn't cost $200 for 2 nights, I'd be all for it. $200 vs. $40. Plus, we can arrange for meals. We do a pretty good job of it every year. In fact, I had people who volunteered to help out with meals and staffing if we did do this. They didn't seem to think that it was not a good place to run a conference. In fact, with the exception of you and apparently the COS, everyone I have mentioned this to thought it was an outstanding idea.

You say the IMA is not place for a  "professional" conference. I would say it's better than a "inordinately expensive" one.

Eclipse

No matter where a conference or other activity is held, it will never be "perfect" for everyone.   What needs to be managed is what is
best for the largest group of anticipated participants.

A conference within 1-2 hours driving makes hotel costs irrelevant for the majority, since the majority won't need a hotel.  By holding it in the general vicinity of where
the membership lives, by far most will simply attend for a single day and go home, with the likely cost to the average member being less then $50 total,
with no need to get a hotel, nor the background noise of having to staff a kitchen, etc.

Surely you're not suggesting that the majority of the membership, in these "hard economic times", be forced to incur unnecessary lodging costs and
2-3x's the driving expense simply to accommodate a small number of members who need to travel farther?

As to having cadets present - the further it is from their home, the less likely they are to attend.  Just because they can stay for free doesn't mean
they can get there.  Having it in the vicinity of other attractions mom & dad might be interested in means they can be dropped off and picked up
while mom & dad do "other".  Having it 3 hours away, next to nothing else, means a 6-hour+ round trip twice in two days.  Not something most parents are
going to be interested in.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

FWIW, if I've got a two hour drive to get to a multi-day event, I'm not doing that commute every day. The hotel cost is partly offset by the lower fuel cost.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

I went to the 2006 ILWG Conference in the geographical middle of the state as a cadet, ONLY because:

Eclipse was my ride.
I believe I got to bum the room space for free as well.

Outside of that, that long a drive at 16, only a few months with a DL? Not a chance.
As an interested level? Just about zero chance as well.

Now, if it was held up north? Chances are there would be more than ten cadets at that conference...

a2capt

Ask KSWG for feedback on how their Wing Conferences go. They hold it at a military installation of similar nature.

Al Sayre

You are never going to make everyone happy, no matter where you hold it.  The best you can hope for is that everyone is equally unhappy...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Nuke52

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 25, 2013, 02:22:29 PM
You are never going to make everyone happy, no matter where you hold it.  The best you can hope for is that everyone is equally unhappy...

The words of a true optimist--you, sir, have obviously spent time in our military!  :)

The Air Force Personnel Center's motto:  "Why should I make you happy, when I can $#*@& him, too?"
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

RogueLeader

Quote from: Nuke52 on March 25, 2013, 08:28:02 PM

The Air Force Personnel Center's motto:  "Why should I make you happy, when I can $#*@& him, too?"

That made my day.   :clap: :clap: :clap: ;D ;D ;D ;D

Even more than the CAPF 27 naming me as Commander.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Nuke52

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 27, 2013, 04:42:25 PM
Quote from: Nuke52 on March 25, 2013, 08:28:02 PM

That made my day.   :clap: :clap: :clap: ;D ;D ;D ;D

Even more than the CAPF 27 naming me as Commander.

I aim to please (or, in some cases, harass).

And my condolences--I mean--congratulations on taking command.
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Capt. $

Quote from: BHartman007 on March 16, 2013, 02:44:33 AM
I had debated whether or not I should try to attend the Wing Conference here, as it will be about a month after my join date (waiting for NHQ to approve my app at the moment), and I didn't know what I would get out of it being that new. On the other hand, I don't know when they'll be holding another one 20 minutes from home.
I was trying to figure out if I was going to the CAWG Conference I can honestly say that it was the MOST UNORGANIZED EVENT I'VE EVER BEEN TO!

SarDragon

Quote from: Capt. $ on March 29, 2013, 05:16:30 PM
Quote from: BHartman007 on March 16, 2013, 02:44:33 AM
I was trying to figure out if I was going to the CAWG Conference I can honestly say that it was the MOST UNORGANIZED EVENT I'VE EVER BEEN TO!

Would you care to share more specific details? I was at last year's conference, and saw little evidence of lack of organization.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 25, 2013, 04:20:21 AM
I went to the 2006 ILWG Conference in the geographical middle of the state as a cadet, ONLY because:

Eclipse was my ride.
I believe I got to bum the room space for free as well.

Outside of that, that long a drive at 16, only a few months with a DL? Not a chance.
As an interested level? Just about zero chance as well.

Now, if it was held up north? Chances are there would be more than ten cadets at that conference...

Kicker down the road: can't even prove I was there.