2013 National Cadet Competition?

Started by SKI304, February 13, 2013, 05:45:36 PM

SKI304

Has anyone heard, if, when, or where the 2013 NCC will be held?  There's still nothing on the ncsas.com website and with summer arriving soon (at least the planning stages for it), cadets and seniors are starting to plan other activities, vacations, etc. which could pose a huge problem to those competing or staffing.  Any info is appreciated!
BILL HRINKO, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Youngstown ARS Composite Squadron

Eclipse

Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio June 20-June 25

Tentatively 17 - 21 July,   Dayton OH.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Not moving from Wright State again, that's unprecedented, as they usually move it every two years.

Though I must say, I got the impression that NCC happening at the same time as encampment was pretty convenient for them.. 

Eclipse

My info comes from OHWG's NCC page.  No reason to believe it's wrong, but I would not buy non-refundable tickets
based on just this.

"That Others May Zoom"

SKI304

Not that I don't trust you, Eclipse, but could you let me know where you got the info?  NCC is usually a Wednesday-Sunday event, and those dates are Thursday-Tuesday. -edit- saw that you quoted that during my reply.  The info on our Wing website never got changed from last year. -edit-

As for NCC being the same time as encampment?  It was never intentional and has been a huge inconvenience for our wing.  Providing logistical support and vehicles to two large scale activities occurring at the same time and place is a nightmare.  Not to mention all the missed opportunities to those members that have to decide if they will support Encampment or NCC.  It was a big factor in why OHWG Encampment was pushed back to late July/early August this year.  The only nice thing last year was that we finally had some people to watch or even be aware that there was a Drill Team from Ohio.
BILL HRINKO, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Ignore.  It looks like those dates are all incorrect.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Wednesday to Sunday, except for last year, where they crammed it all down to end on Saturday. I hope they learned from last year's experiment in cost cutting ..  Too much, too fast.  Some of the van rides to the airport on Sunday morning.. were a little exciting.

As from the NCC participants point of view, it certainly felt "convenient" that the facility, already booked for, and in use, just had a few more people there at the same time. Since contracting for the meals, rooms, etc, usually comes at a better price, the more you buy.

As for conflicting events and scheduling. I can certainly appreciate that. I had to balance between participating in another  Wing's encampment against the possibility of advancing to NCC and having to cut out on one or the other had there been a conflict. Fortunately in the end, Hawaii's encampment ended up being earlier in June. That made for a long Summer, starting in April with the region cadet competition, encampment at the beginning of June, and my annual Summer 3 week road trip shortly after NCC.

Since NCC's FB page hasn't changed, and the NCC site normally linked to from the NCSAS listings, as well as http://nationalcadetcompetition.com has not changed .. I'm inclined to believe it's still being worked out, though it usually has been announced shortly, at least in the 1st year of the changed location.

Eclipse

OK - Actual information from GLR.

"Tentatively" 17 - 21 July,   Dayton OH.

"That Others May Zoom"

Paul Creed III

The Ohio Wing Cadet Competition website now reflects the most accurate dates that are currently available.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

a2capt

Wow, that's late in the Summer this time.
I wonder what the drive behind that is/was.. 

SKI304

-Bump-

Has anyone heard anything about NCC yet?   The website is still sparse and any details have all been third-hand.  With less than two weeks until the big show I'm getting concerned since nothing has gone out (at least to our team) regarding travel, schedule, paperwork, special training requirements, etc.
BILL HRINKO, Maj, CAP

a2capt

Even the wikipedia page has just a tad more information, though it's of course, subject to being right .. or not. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Air_Patrol_National_Cadet_Competition

From what I've gathered so far, the competition is at WSU and SHS like the last two years, though the staff and recommended hotel is several miles away, rather than one of the typical locations along Col. Glenn Highway, that are -much- closer, and priced very similarly.

I've been hoping for a schedule to be posted like years past, but what I see instead was the web site wiped clean and originally replaced with "the dates have been published", and more recently, a few sentences added.

The activity page had a plethora of stuff on it, and compared to last years huge outreach attempt, this time around even information to participants was slim to none.

It's obvious things are going to change. But you're not supposed to find this out hearsay from your cadets that return from CLA. The straight poop from the official channel would be nice. Assembling rumors, matching them up to what you do know is happening.. is frustrating.

For parents coming to see the competition, who knows where to go? All of that was posted previously.

The teams arrive on Wednesday, and the competition is Thursday and Friday, with awards announced Friday evening, and return flights are Saturday morning onward. No formal banquet. The awards will be done in conjunction with the traditional less formal picnic. No museum scavenger hunt.

Teams will be shuttled around, vans will not be issued, though I've heard some instances of individuals renting vans themselves.

I can only figure that the lack of mentioning the need for RST is that the activity is less than 4 nights, and therefore it's not required. Though no ORM sheet from the team was asked for yet, either, that I've seen.

I realize the whole budget situation is pretty depressing, but quite honestly, so has dealing with NHQ. On several issues I've followed the instructions, made inquiries, and heard -nothing- over the past several months. Absolutely frustrating.

PA Guy

Perhaps your frustration is due to the fact that the entire CP section at NHQ consists of two people dealing with severe budget cuts for all national activities including NCC.  Add to this the cuts to CAP/USAF which funds the reservists that provide support to many national activities and all activities are having a hard time this year.

Eclipse

Quote from: PA Guy on July 07, 2013, 08:19:17 PM
Perhaps your frustration is due to the fact that the entire CP section at NHQ consists of two people dealing with severe budget cuts for all national activities including NCC.  Add to this the cuts to CAP/USAF which funds the reservists that provide support to many national activities and all activities are having a hard time this year.

Hmm...too bad.

Maybe if we had a few people volunteer they could help.  Oh well.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on July 07, 2013, 08:31:55 PM

Hmm...too bad.

Maybe if National would accept volunteer help...

PHall

Quote from: arajca on July 07, 2013, 11:07:54 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 07, 2013, 08:31:55 PM

Hmm...too bad.

Maybe if National would accept volunteer help...

They've had problems in the past with volunteers.

Eclipse

It would certainly make things easier if they all just went away...

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 07, 2013, 11:27:10 PM

No, just the "volunteers" with agendas...

PA Guy

Quote from: Eclipse on July 07, 2013, 11:27:10 PM

Who, volunteers or NHQ?

a2capt

In the end, even having a Wing Commander inquire about TLC curriculum materials was met with a lack of reply. That was just one case. I gave up.

As for the travel arrangements, tickets, and such. Our team got their stuff two weeks ago. I'd really have to figure that by now you should have your arrangements down. I see that you're from Ohio, seeing that it's at WSU, maybe they're expecting you to drive and think they told you "Wednesday afternoon, show up."