CAP Verifying Citizenship

Started by Airman De Ruiter, January 29, 2013, 11:41:19 PM

Airman De Ruiter

Quote from: cap235629 on January 30, 2013, 01:51:25 AM
Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 30, 2013, 01:42:36 AM
I have verified all this. I have gone through all the channels I can. My father and mother were both European. My father passed before my birth. My
Mother moved to the U.S. when I was 2. She later got married to an American police officer and got her citizenship. She never filed for anything for me not was I issued anything. The only way I see is to pay the $600 for the Certificate of Citizenship. The only reason I need that is to get my SSN. I have no papers, except for my certified birth certificate. I am legally a citizen, I just have no proof. All I need is that SSN and I'm golden. Is there any way that CAP, since it's government-affiliated, can get the paperwork straightened out? $600 is slightly...steep.

UMMMM, Hate to break it to you, you are NOT a US citizen.  At the time of your birth both of your parents were citizens of another country, presumably the country of your birth.  Just because your mother subsequently became a citizen has no bearing on YOUR status.  If one of your parents was a US citizen at the time of your birth, you could be a citizen by registering a foreign birth to a US national. 

I would start saving cans if I were you and get that $600 as fast as you can.  College is right around the corner and you are in for a rude awakening

From my understanding of the law, me being her legal responsibility at the time of the naturalization legally makes me a citizen. I know you're an adult, but with all due respect, I don't believe that you are correct.

P.S.
I'm not going to college, enlisting on my 17th birthday. 

And all right, it was worth the shot anyway. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

spaatzmom

Since CAP has absolutely nothing to do with immigration, one would have to say that would be a huge no.  There are fee waivers that you can apply for to reduce the application fees.  Also there is a big problem with getting the CoC.  You must have proof that you were admitted to the US legally and that means green card.  See  http://cliniclegal.org/sites/default/files/231718_CLINIC_08.pdf    under derivation of citizenship.  No matter what you need to call an immigration lawyer.

I am not getting how you were admitted into the states with your mom but without proper paperwork unless you were stuffed into her luggage.  Requesting a copy of her immigration file might give you a few more answers than you presently have.

abdsp51

You are not a lawyer do you really want to place your own well being in jeopardy because of your understanding of the law?  Find a immigration attorney and talk to them.  Trying to prove your point here and argue your side does nothing for you. 

Eclipse

It's doubtful you'll be enlisting anywhere in the US without the ability to prove your legal residency or citizenship.

If your story is true, there are people in your school district who can help you, but I doubt we're getting half the necessary details.

Whatever the outcome, you better start working on this soon, because it'll be no military, no legal jobs, probably not even  college until it's fixed one way or the other.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

I do know one guy that has a suspicous birth certificate and SSN, He lives in a big White House? Hate to tell ya bud, No Citizenship, no Military. I bet your on a traveling VISA, and just never returned. If you MOM Married an American Police Officer, he can adopt you, which would make you an American citizen. Other than that, good luck.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

spaatzmom

Derivative Citizenship - Citizenship conveyed to children through the naturalization of parents or, under certain circumstances, to foreign-born children adopted by U.S. citizen parents, provided certain conditions are met.

A child who is regularly residing IN the United States can become a citizen of the United States only by meeting certain requirements. If a child regularly resides in the United States and is not a lawful permanent resident, he or she cannot acquire citizenship automatically until he or she is granted lawful permanent residence. If a child who has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence fails to qualify for citizenship under the provisions of law, the child may apply for naturalization by filing an N-400 after reaching 18 years of age, provided that he or she has the required 5 years of lawful permanent residence.

Lawful permanent residence means green card, not waltzing in and staying no matter what age you were on arrival.

Eclipse

^ Yeah, this issue is >kind<, of a big deal right now.  I think it might have even been in the news or something.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

I'm thinking he's either NOT communicating with the adults in this, or it's one of the expired visa cases. Either way, take it to a professional (Lawyer, etc).

JayT

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 30, 2013, 03:03:49 AM
I do know one guy that has a suspicious birth certificate and SSN, He lives in a big White House?

I'm praying that's a joke.

Is there any reason any of us are communicating with this poster? I smell a very elaborate troll.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JayT on January 30, 2013, 03:47:24 AM
I do know one guy that has a suspicious birth certificate and SSN, He lives in a big White House?

Is there any reason any of us are communicating with this poster? I smell a very elaborate troll.

I'm sick and missing CAP/Work. What else can I do?

Eclipse

Netflix!  I just discovered the Spectre! He was tacked onto a DC Superman movie!

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

You don't have to be a citizen to be a cadet in CAP.  However, you do need a waiver from NHQ/PMM  as per CAPR 39-2.   The waiver request should go through the "chain of command" with your application.  I don't see any problems getting a waiver if you are a minor and, your mom is a US citizen. 

Airman De Ruiter

No, actually all I want is a set of numbers that will allow me to get back what I put in to CAP. I am not trolling. I just want to fully be among your ranks.

...which in this country, doesn't seem possible for under $600.
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

Devil Doc

Of course its a Joke? Maybe? Dosn't matter it beyond my paygrade anyway.

As to the OP take the citizenship test, or get adopted.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Eclipse

Seriously, the attitude again.

You need to dial it down if you expect any kind of military career or even a pleasant. cadet experience somewhere.

The failure of those responsible for your well being to act properly and in your best interest is not the fault of CAP or anyone here. 

Either fix it, or don't, but quit acting like you are put upon to do what should have been done years ago. You say you're already in two other cadet programs (possibly in violation of their regs and your ethics) so its not like you already aren't reaping the benefits of paramilitary training. 

If you're in JROTC, that means you must be at least 15. Start acting your age, accept the situation and act accordingly.
And as a minor, this should not even be your problem to start.  This is something your guardians should handle for you.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Read the post above yours; you do not need an SSN to join CAP.  Inquire about the waiver for CAP, per the CAP Membership regulation. Separate issue.

But nonetheless, you'll need to get this paperwork and documentation issue sorted out before you can join the military and just so you don't get deported.  I'd still see an immigration lawyer.  If you can't afford one, find the Legal Aid society in your home area and contact them.  These are lawyers who donate their time to help people with cases like yours who lack the means to fund it.

A place like this (http://www.lacsn.org/) or something similar should be near you.  We are not lawyers on CAPTalk (well, most of us anyway).  We cannot give you good legal advice.  You need legal advice.  See a lawyer.

--
I'm locking this thread because I don't think we need to get into the murky area of doling out legal opinions.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP