FAA Encourages Pilots To Hand Fly More

Started by Critical AOA, January 16, 2013, 01:39:52 AM

Critical AOA

QuoteRecognizing that pilots' stick-and-rudder skills may be atrophying in an increasingly high-tech world, the FAA has issued a new safety alert for operators (SAFO) reminding crew members to continuously maintain and improve their hand-flying skills by switching off the autopilot every once in awhile.

An analysis of flight operations data including several incidents and accidents has identified an increase in "manual handling errors," according to the SAFO issued on January 4.

Too much reliance on the autopilot, the FAA says, "does not reinforce a pilot's knowledge and skills in manual flight operations." Autoflight systems, the agency notes, are "useful tools for pilots and have improved safety and workload management, and thus enabled more precise operations. However, continuous use of autoflight systems could lead to degradation of the pilot's ability to recover the aircraft quickly from an undesired state."

Pilots are being encouraged to hand fly their airplanes more often, "such as in non-RVSM airspace and during low-workload conditions," while operators are being encouraged to adjust their procedures to include the changes. The SAFO applies to pilots of all stripes, but seems mostly geared toward corporate jet and airline crews that rely most heavily on cockpit automation. 

http://links.mkt3362.com/ctt?kn=40&ms=MTQzNTUwMzES1&r=NDc4NjI2OTQyNgS2&b=0&j=MjEwMjY5NDYzS0&mt=1&rt=0

Right! As a maintenance controller for an airline, I can tell you that these guys cry practically anytime an autopilot is placed on MEL.  The chance of them doing this is practically nil.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

PHall

Most airlines SOP requires the autopilot to be engaged as soon as possible after takeoff and not to disengage it until short final if possible.
"George" flies the plane much smoother then the sucky human pilots can!

NIN

Quote from: PHall on January 16, 2013, 01:54:15 AM
Most airlines SOP requires the autopilot to be engaged as soon as possible after takeoff and not to disengage it until short final if possible.

My former wing commander was a former Eastern Airlines pilot. I flew with him once from the airport near where I worked to the airport near Wing HQ and where I lived.  As we got closer to our destination, he transitioned that aircraft from cruise flight to an extended left base for landing in a way that completely confounded my perception.  We were bombing along around 4500 ft MSL and the next thing I knew we're dirty at 1,200 MSL and 90 kts and I never even noticed.  Sure, I know he changed the trim and adjusted the power and the flaps and all that, but he did so with out all the pitch and airspeed excursions that most pilots experience while getting configured for landing. 

We landed and I said "Sir, you have literally the smoothest hands of anybody I've ever flown with."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ol'fido

Quote from: NIN on January 16, 2013, 02:28:29 AM

My former wing commander was a former Eastern Airlines pilot. I flew with him once from the airport near where I worked to the airport near Wing HQ and where I lived.  As we got closer to our destination, he transitioned that aircraft from cruise flight to an extended left base for landing in a way that completely confounded my perception.  We were bombing along around 4500 ft MSL and the next thing I knew we're dirty at 1,200 MSL and 90 kts and I never even noticed.  Sure, I know he changed the trim and adjusted the power and the flaps and all that, but he did so with out all the pitch and airspeed excursions that most pilots experience while getting configured for landing. 

We landed and I said "Sir, you have literally the smoothest hands of anybody I've ever flown with."
Darin, that might not have been the best way to put that. >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ol'fido

This may be CT's first "metrosexual" moment.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Thrashed

My airline wants you to use the highest level of automation possible. It's for two reasons: safety & money. The automation will actually use less fuel. I normally hand fly all my departures and arrivals for fun. That doesn't really help since you just fly the flight director anyway. In the modern airspace system with major airport arrivals, hand-flying is not the best way to do a VNAV/LNAV arrival to a RNAV RNP approach.

Save the triangle thingy

NIN

Quote from: ol'fido on January 16, 2013, 04:08:05 AM
This may be CT's first "metrosexual" moment.

And it interferes with my "social agenda." :)

ETA: For those not in the know, telling a pilot he has "smooth hands" is a compliment.

I'm not a pilot and I've been told I have pretty smooth hands when I do get to fly the plane.   I had a helo IP tell me that the first time I hovered a Huey.  (I was also told I had "spastic hands" when I tried to hover a Cobra, so you know, take it for what its worth).

I asked a Delta pilot once while exiting an MD-80 at Logan if he was ex-Navy. He said "No, Air Force."  I said "Hmm. Yeah, that landing was more like a deck landing. I thought they taught you Air Force guys to flare?" Thats the opposite of "smooth hands"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Critical AOA

Oh, I know all about airline SOPs and I understand how efficient autopilots are vs. their human counterpart... as long as they work as advertised.  However, that does not change the fact that a lot of airline pilots do not seem to like actually flying the plane.   Numerous are the times that I have deferred an autopilot and had the captain whine about it.    Even when the airplane was at a remote location with no company maintenance, they will ask if we can get the local A&P to work on it or send a road trip to fix it.  This is just so they will not have to hand-fly for an hour or two.  I would understand their reluctance and even agree with them if it was an extended flight especially international but on a short flight, give me a break. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

JeffDG

Quote from: Thrashed on January 16, 2013, 02:48:54 PM
hand-flying is not the best way to do a VNAV/LNAV arrival to a RNAV RNP approach.
Are RNP approaches even authorized to be hand-flown?

I know that Cat II and Cat III are autopilot required...

Critical AOA

Quote from: JeffDG on January 16, 2013, 05:40:56 PM
hand-flying is not the best way to do a VNAV/LNAV arrival to a RNAV RNP approach.

You are right about Cat II and III.  Our aircraft are CAT II and whenever we MEL an autopilot, we also must place our CAT II on MEL.  It also suspends their RVSM.

JeffDG

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on January 16, 2013, 06:42:51 PM
You are right about Cat II and III.  Our aircraft are CAT II and whenever we MEL an autopilot, we also must place our CAT II on MEL.  It also suspends their RVSM.
It always amazes me, when on an approach when I hear the inner marker beacon go off, that if I had a plane (and self) authorized for CAT II, that's where I would see the runway...

FlyTiger77

Quote from: NIN on January 16, 2013, 04:13:00 PM
... I had a helo IP tell me that the first time I hovered a Huey.  (I was also told I had "spastic hands" when I tried to hover a Cobra, so you know, take it for what its worth).

(fade in nostalgic music)

Flying the Cobra from the front seat gets to be like work in a hurry.

The schoolhouse aircraft had hydraulic boost to the co-pilot/gunner controls to give the IP a fighting chance against a student in the back seat who froze on the controls. In the field, they weren't. But, on the other hand, the front seat was the best seat in the house--especially for high-speed, low-level autorotations.

(music fades out)
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

I still convinced that within 10 years, but certainly in my (theoretical) lifetime, the commercial big-iron airline pilot will be sitting
next to the newspaper people and the record company executives in the retirement home discussing the "good old days".

At most we'll likely see one person in the cockpit acting like an L-Train driver with a "go-stop" button and maybe auxiliary controls for
the (by then) rare "oh poop" failure.

We'll also see self-driving a land vehicle relegated to recreational travel only, and only in rural areas not served by the auto-cars.

This assumes, of course, no armageddon, world governmental collapse, or belligerent ropocalypse.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thrashed

Quote from: JeffDG on January 16, 2013, 05:40:56 PM

No autopilot= no RNAV RNP, RVSM, CAT II/III, or autoland.  :(

Save the triangle thingy

NIN

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on January 16, 2013, 06:53:39 PM
But, on the other hand, the front seat was the best seat in the house.

FTFY. :)

Low level in a Snake in the CP/G seat was like riding the nose of a bullet.  Sheer awesome.

I have about .9 or 1.1 of stick time in an AH-1. Mostly on MTFs.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Buzz

Well, since the weight of the autopilot system on a B757 is pretty close to the all-up weight of my 150K, I really don't need to be told that I should hand-fly.

Or are they saying I shouldn't use the trim wheel so much . . ?

PHall

Quote from: Buzz on January 16, 2013, 11:03:50 PM
Well, since the weight of the autopilot system on a B757 is pretty close to the all-up weight of my 150K, I really don't need to be told that I should hand-fly.

Well, you could get your feet off the rudder pedals! >:D

There's white caps in the aft toilets! :o

BlueLakes1

Actually, at my airline we hand fly quite a bit. SOP says it's on at 20K unless deferred, and a lot of guys (myself included) routinely fly it up there.

I usually hand fly a full leg at least once a trip, as long as it's not so short that the Captain can't get a breather.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on January 17, 2013, 01:50:42 AM
Quote from: Buzz on January 16, 2013, 11:03:50 PM

Well, you could get your feet off the rudder pedals! >:D

There's white caps in the aft toilets! :o

The ancient and antique autopilot in the C-117 would cause small vertical oscillations in the back of the plane when engaged. It wasn't too noticeable to the passengers, because of the seat arrangement, but the potty was especially vulnerable since it was all the way aft. It was customary to turn the autopilot off when someone was in the can, just to be nice. Once in a while, pilot would turn the autopilot back on while someone was taking care of business.

Results were variable, but almost always funny.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

So, when it goes on and off when someone is occupying the room.. it's the Auto Potty.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FlyTiger77

Quote from: NIN on January 16, 2013, 08:41:45 PM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on January 16, 2013, 06:53:39 PM
But, on the other hand, the front seat was the best seat in the house.

FTFY. :)

Low level in a Snake in the CP/G seat was like riding the nose of a bullet.  Sheer awesome.

I have about .9 or 1.1 of stick time in an AH-1. Mostly on MTFs.

It was a good time. There was nothing quite as exciting as firing a pair of rockets for the first time.

The Maintenance Test Pilot course for the AH-1 was the most demanding Army school I ever attended.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP