Main Menu

CAP Chaplains -- problems?

Started by RiverAux, March 02, 2007, 02:56:33 PM

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: flyerthom on March 04, 2007, 05:47:05 AM
Quote from: CaptLord on March 03, 2007, 07:26:04 PM

Words have meaning, and to say that morals and ethics are the same is not correct. ( Do I need to bring in a Jesuit here to explain the difference

Capt. Lord

Please nooooooo! After four years of them I am still carry the scars. On the flip side, the Jesuits were the first I heard to advocate a more universal world view. And I quite remember the controversy over Liberation Theology and the Pope having to restrain Latin American Jesuits for their strong support of leftist revolutions such as the Sandinistas The joys of a Jesuit education in the early 80's.

The Jesuits taught me how to think. I haven't felt safe since.

-- Detective Frank Pembleton
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

jacklumanog

Quote from: Chaplaindon on March 02, 2007, 03:57:07 PM
RiverAux (et al),

This is part of a manufactured issue ... one created to advance a political agenda. The ostensible issue (you allude to) is that Christian chaplains are being prohibited by the DoD and/or the military from praying "in the Name of Jesus Christ," out of some misguided attempt at political correctness.

Such is simply not the case at all.

The actual truth of the matter has two (2) foci:

1.  Chaplains (both US military, and CAP -- who are also "endorsed military chaplains" albeit serving CAP) have and continue to have the right and freedom to pray as their conscience, faith, and endorsing religion directs DURING religious services. There are no constraints on practices or liturgies during worship services.

But there in lies a "bone of contention" with some. Although Chaplains (of all faiths, not just Christian) may pray (etc.) with impunity during worship, they are constrained by DoD policy, USAF regulation and instruction and CAPR's to be inclusive and nonsectarian while praying in secular (non-worship service) settings.

Thus, while saying a prayer at a WG deployment event (e.g. before leaving for Iraq, let's say) the WG Chaplain (an O-6), a Buddhist in this hypothetical example, is required to say a general prayer --not one that favors one faith tradition over another. A Muslim WG/HC would be similarly constrained from pronouncing the primacy of the Prophet during his prayer. Likewise would a Christian HC be prohibited from praying --in THAT secular setting-- in the Name of Jesus.

In such a setting the chaplain is praying on behalf of all faith traditions --not just hers/his-- and even praying for those who have no faith tradition (there are atheists in foxholes, contrary to the common wisdom).

So in a worship setting a Buddhist Chaplain, or a Muslim Chaplain, or a Roman Catholic Chaplain (and so forth) may be a sectarian and unrestrained in her/his prayers as their conscience and ecclesiastical endorser will allow. Likewise in a SECULAR (non-worship) setting, all must be similarly NON-sectarian and inclusive -- per Regulation(s).

Sadly, there are those --who for what (I think) are political motives INCONSISTENT with the real role of the ministry and/or chaplaincy-- have distorted the reality to suggest that in all settings Christian Chaplains (and ONLY CHRISTIAN CHAPLAINS) are being forbidden to preach in Jesus' Name. This distortion/lie is getting around too. In my civilian parish I have received several impassioned phone calls from "concerned citizens" asking me to "get involved" politically to free our Christian Chaplains. I have kindly, but explicitly, given them the facts.

I am pleased that Chaplains (of all faiths) are similarly constrained from sectarian prayers during secular events. I would be uncomfortable (at the least) if a Muslim Chaplain pronounced that Muhammad was greater or better than Christ during a pre-SAREX-briefing prayer. I would expect a Muslim cadet/SM to be similarly upset if, in the same setting, I prayed ONLY in Jesus' Name.

It's a good rule.

2.  Recently, I saw a morning news show where a USN Chaplain (a Lt., I think) was decrying his pending dismissal from the Navy for "praying in the Name of Jesus." What a terrible miscarriage of justice, right? Not at all, ---as the story developed upon further questioning-- he was being dismissed for disobeying his commanding officer who ordered him NOT to wear his USN uniform to a protest and prayer in front of the White House.  He wasn't being disciplined for praying, he was being disciplined for disobeying an order and wearing his uniform when he shouldn't have.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the distortion of facts and the sensational claims being made --for POLITICAL GAIN (IMHO)-- has and will continue to scare off some potential chaplains from military or CAP service. Ultimately, this agenda-making will harm the women and men in uniform (military and CAP) who benefit from the service of the chaplaincy.

I hope a good dose of fact and not rumor, distortion, and falsehoods will stem the tide.  People need to "play politics" with potholes and solid waste management and not the emotional and spiritual needs of our military and CAP personnel.

To that end, if you hear someone crisis-mongering this issue "Praying in the Name of Jesus," set them straight. Together we can stem the tide of this nonsense.

I'm a bit late to the party here but very few people seem to have gotten this story correct.  It makes for a sensational headline but Chaplain Don hit it on the head.  Thank you for spreading the word.
Ch, Lt Col Jon I. Lumanog, CAP
Special Assistant to the National Chief of Chaplains for Diversity of Ministry

alexalvarez

Yes, being a CAP Chaplain is challenging.

Blessings on all of you.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

aveighter

Capt Lord is on the right track.  This entire discussion is a reflection of the general deterioration of the social fabric of western civilization with the almost manic need of some to mix everything into one giant morass of moral equivalence where the lines separating good and evil, right and wrong fade away into the constantly shifting shades of gray.  Despite several thousand years of recorded human history,  a thousand plus of western european history and a couple centuries or so of American history to the contrary, we are to accept the idea that there is no "better or worse" but merely different "faith traditions" which we must allow for and swallow without question and nary the hint of a raised eyebrow.

I want to take a poll here.  Now that there is a strong push to add and legitimize Wiccan Priests (witches)in the military,  how many of you Christian Pastors or Jewish Rabbis would be willing to have one of these fellows minister to you or provide you with spiritual services in time of need?  Just wondering.  Please raise your hands.  Is there room for one  more under the big moral tent?

Chappie

Quote from: aveighter on March 08, 2007, 12:32:04 AM
<snip>
I want to take a poll here.  Now that there is a strong push to add and legitimize Wiccan Priests (witches)in the military,  how many of you Christian Pastors or Jewish Rabbis would be willing to have one of these fellows minister to you or provide you with spiritual services in time of need?  Just wondering.  Please raise your hands.  Is there room for one  more under the big moral tent?

Aveighter ---  first of all, as a Chaplain I have a mandated duty and responsibility to defend the 1st amendment rights of all members (freedom of religion).  Speaking as an Christian Chaplain who has served on  Encampment staff over the years, it is the practice to conduct a Protestant and Catholic service at Encampment (since we have chaplains of those religious persuasions).  For those of the Jewish, Islamic and Buddist faith group -- cadets and senior members who wish to attend a service are transported to the place where their faith group meets.   If there are Wiccans, who request services....there would be an attempt to locate something in the local area for them.    As a defender of a member's first amendment right, if a Wiccan were to become a Chaplain in the military or CAP so that Wiccan members have there religious needs met, then so be it. 

Second of all, to answer your question -- I would not have a Wiccan provide ministry or service to me.  There would not be the need to request one.  As a Protestant Chaplain (in CAP and previously in Law Enforcement who has responded to several different scenarios, it has been my practice to ascertain if the parties involved have a local pastor, rabbi, priest, or religious leader they would like to have contacted.   
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

aveighter

I appreciate you answering.  Your response is very interesting.  Out of curiosity, and I ask this sincerely, is there a point on this continuum of equivalency at which you would say "no mas" as far as your ability to maintain participation?

Chaplaindon

avieghter,

Take a deep breath ...

This is not about moral equivalence. It is not about political correctness (either conservative or liberal). It is not about what I like or dislike.

This is about following long-standing regulations about religious accommodation.

The policy is nothing new. What has brought it to light of late is foolish agenda-mongering. First it was the leadership at the USAF Academy deliberately pushing conservative Christian theology (and the politics that comes with it) upon cadets without regard to the wishes (or religious affiliations and/or beliefs) of the cadets. The policy less-then-subtlely coerced cadets to follow their leadership's religious beliefs, believing it would hurt their careers at the Academy to do otherwise. That was wrong and brought to an end by a courageous chaplain at the expense of her own USAF career.

The second is seen in chaplains saying they are being forced out for "praying in the Name of Jesus" when in fact the are being forced out for violating direct and legitimate orders not to engage in political activism in uniform.

No clergyperson of any religion, faith tradition or denomination is forced to become a chaplain. It is "challenging" as Ch. Alvarez stated. It isn't for everyone.

For those who do elect to become chaplains, they are expected to follow regulations. I find it personally ironic to hear the members complain that their chaplains are refusing to violate their regulations and covenants (both CAP and USAF) when many of the same complainers would excoriate any other member (probably a chaplain too) for a 1 angstrom error in alignment of an item of uniform.

Violations of the provisions of CAPMANUAL 39-1 are seen as causing harm to CAP's relationship to the USAF. CAPM 39-1 is sacrosanct.

At the same time --it might appear to the casual observer, I pray not-- that Chaplains are been encouraged or ridiculed --at aveighter's and other's behest-- into knowingly (and willingly) violating CAPREGULATION 265-2 (E) (25FEB1995) because it is unpopular with some or seen by some as inconsistent with moral, religious, or political stances they espouse. Take a moment and read Section C of that regulation. It is the Code of Ethics and is taken directly from the National Conference on Ministry to the Armed Forces (NCMAF) published in 1994.

If a clergyperson desires to be a CAP (or other military) chaplains she/he MUST adhere to this Code of Ethics it is REGULATION. If that same clergyperson finds that they cannot adhere to the ethical standards imposed on chaplains, then she/he have an obligation to step aside.

Just over a year ago, the USAF made this point explictly. Lt. Gen. Roger Brady, Air Force deputy chief of staff for personnel issued guidelines and a press release staing that, "The guidelines address prayer at military events [outside of worship], but in no way restrict private prayer or chaplains' activities in religious settings." General Brady added, "We respect the rights of chaplains to adhere to the tenets of their individual faiths, and they will not be required to participate in religious activities, including public prayer, inconsistent with their faiths."

Thus if you cannot adhere to the regulations --even in the USAF-- you may step aside, decline to participate per your conscience. You are not permitted to just go off and do as you please as a chaplain.

The matter is simply one of adhering to regulation. And if you think that a uniform violation could hamper CAP relations with the USAF, imagine what could happen if a chaplain --wearing the USAF chaplain's badge, no less (not a CAP look-a-like)-- unilaterally disregarded the chaplain service regulations in favor of a personal doctrinal/political crusade.

I am a comitted/believer Christian and called to that ministry. However, I feel God has called me to a broader more challenging ministry too: that of military/CAP chaplain. However, this issue isn't about what I or any other chaplain personally believes theologically/doctrinally/politically ... it's about following the rules every CAP/USAF chaplain agreed to when she/he joined the chaplain service.

If that's a "problem" (hence the original rationale for this thread) it doesn't reside with the chaplains but rather with those who'd ask the chaplains to violate rules on their behalf and denounce those who won't.
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

Chappie

Quote from: aveighter on March 08, 2007, 01:20:55 AM
I appreciate you answering.  Your response is very interesting.  Out of curiosity, and I ask this sincerely, is there a point on this continuum of equivalency at which you would say "no mas" as far as your ability to maintain participation?

No.  I share the same viewpoint as ChaplainDon has responded to you.  When I joined CAP as a Chaplain, I read the requirements and regulations before signing on the dotted line.  As Chaplain Alvarez has stated, it is challenging.  And as Chaplaindon stated, it isn't for everyone.

Al Sayre

As a Commander and lay person, here is how I see the Chaplain's role (in order of priority): 

To provide a steady and calming presence within the Command that any member regardless of rank or faith can talk to. 

To be an advocate for those members who are afraid or unable to speak to the command staff about an issue that is troubling them.

To provide counsel to the commander regarding the morale and well being of the members of his command, and provide a moral rudder for the squadron through their actions.

To keep the commander informed and within the regulations regarding the requirements for religious services etc., and provide those services when needed.

To provide counseling regarding matters of faith to those members who request such counseling.

I believe that these are within the capacity of a Chaplain of any faith, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Wiccan, Buddhist, etc.   YMMV
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Chaplaindon

Lt Sayre,

Thanks for your comments. As a former unit commander myself, I would recommend you read CAPP 265-4 (E) (15APR1994). It is the Civil Air Patrol Chaplain Service Handbook and can be found on line at http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_082503085403.pdf.

Although this CAPP is ostensibly a handbook for chaplains, its contents would be useful as an orientation to the chaplain service for a unit commander as well. It is a very thoughtful and well-written introduction to the roles and responsibilities of a CAP chaplain and how she/he is to integrate and function within a unit.

Section 2-5 of CAPP 295-4 specifically address the issues of religious pluralism that seem to have become something of a lightning-rod on this Blog and CAP and the military. Reading this section might help clarify the chaplain's role a bit more.

It is noteworthy too, that this Pamphlet is nearly 13 years old. As I have written, religious accommodation and a pluralistic ministry for military chaplains is nothing new.
AUXOP

aveighter

Thank you all for your responses, they have been eye opening.

Quote from: Chaplaindon on March 08, 2007, 03:27:03 AM
Just over a year ago, the USAF made this point explicitly. Lt. Gen. Roger Brady, Air Force deputy chief of staff for personnel issued guidelines and a press release stating that, "The guidelines address prayer at military events [outside of worship], but in no way restrict private prayer or chaplains&#146; activities in religious settings.&#148; General Brady added, &#147;We respect the rights of chaplains to adhere to the tenets of their individual faiths, and they will not be required to participate in religious activities, including public prayer, inconsistent with their faiths.&#148;

Don, your reply was especially noteworthy (not sure what breathing has to do with the topic).  My question was simply "is there a point that you would be unable to participate based on your set of religious beliefs".  This would be consistent with the regulation as the General stated it.  I am left to conclude from your inclusion of the quote from General Brady that your answer is no as you would seem to make no quality distinction between the theological basis, from which moral concepts stem, of Judeo-Christianity, Islam, Buddism or witchcraft or whatever follows next.

CAPP 265-4  Section 2-5 states the chaplains objective is to be a representative of God.  This is monotheism at its finest and of more than passing importance to a Jew or Christian.  Are you comfortable with the idea of participating in an arena where the concept of a monotheistic Almighty is just another choice given equal standing with polytheism, earth goddesses, water sprites so on and so forth?  Do you think your local Mullah is good to go with that?  Where is the point, in your opinion, (you too Chappie) at which pluralism ends and heresy begins?  Or is there such a point?

Now Don, don't get caught up in vitriolic respirations.  I'm simply asking if in this quest for regulatory purity can you be comfortable in a regime of regulated theological/moral equivalence or not.  A simple yes or no is fine.

Chaplaindon

I am still not sure I understand the question. If you are asking me if I would particpate in a "worship service" involving "polytheism, earth goddesses, water sprites so on and so forth ..." the answer is "no."

But that's not the issue. The issue is whether I try to be a caring, concerned chaplain for everyone whether they believe in or worship the Trinity or a shrubbery. As a CAP/military chaplain, I am called to accommodate their religion (within reason) but not necessarily embrace it myself. 

Likewise I am NOT to FORCE my Christian faith on someone else IN CAP outside of a worship/devotional setting. If a member voluntarily attends a worship service or a devotional that I lead, I CAN proclaim a sectarian message as specifically as I please. I cannot do so in a secular setting or in-general to members.

You also ask, "Do you think your local Mullah is good to go with that?" That's another odd question. Are you asking about a Muslim clergyman (or a Muslim CAP chaplain) because they are called an Imam ... not a Mullah? My answer is, ask him.

I am not a Muslim, however, I know of actual incidents where Christian and/or Jewish CAP chaplains at CAP encampments have had Muslim cadets under their pastoral care. The chaplains did not take a crash course in Arabic or Koran and imitate an Imam. Rather, they accommodated the religious needs of these Muslim members. They located and set aside a place for the members to say their daily prayers. They took a compass and used it to mark East on the wall and then advised their cadet and SM officers and NCOs to excuse them for their 5-time-a-day prayers. That is religious accommodation. That is loving and caring work of a chaplain.

I would expect that my "local" Muslim CAP chaplain IAW CAPRs and AFRs to do likewise if the situation was reversed.

Additionally, I have particpated in interfaith worship at CAP encampments. As a Christian clergyperson, I particpated in a Jewish Sabbath service and was honored to have been asked. Likewise, I have had a Rabbi assist me in a Christian worship service. If I am ever confronted with an invitation to worship with a polytheistic, earth goddesses, water sprite -- I'll let you know my decision then.

However, I would be expected to be a caring, loving, chaplain --practicing a ministry of presence-- at a CAP event attended by a polytheistic, earth goddesses, water sprite who happens to be a CAP member at that event. And I would see redress through the event commander if I witnessed or was made aware of that person facing ridicule or scorn or her/his faith. That would be unjust and unacceptable.

Pluralism is the realization of the fact that there are multiple faiths/religions/beliefs. Heresy is a qualitative determination that one or more faith/belief/doctrine/teaching is contrary to a given SINGLE faith/religion. 

To accept the fact that there is diversity in faith and beliefs is NOT the same as saying that for oneself all are equally good means of finding spiritual or religious fulfillment. And what's one groups heresy (say female clergypersons to some Christian sects) is a normative practice to another.

Here's a thought --see if this endears CAP to the USAF-- have all chaplains in CAP condemn as heretics all persons who do not accept her/his specific belief system.  It would be nonsense.

But if you feel strongly enough about the matter: go to seminary, get ordained, approved and endorsed as a chaplain and buck the system YOURSELF and quit encouraging real chaplains to do your dirty work.
AUXOP

aveighter

After digging through the 70% of your response that had nothing to do with my inquiry I'll take your answer as yes.

Thank you.

Chappie

Quote from: aveighter on March 09, 2007, 02:10:15 AM
After digging through the 70% of your response that had nothing to do with my inquiry I'll take your answer as yes.

Thank you.

I have no problem with the response given by Chaplaindon.  While there are other faith groups that exist within the Chaplain service and the CAP membership that are not part of my belief system, I am not forced to embrace their beliefs as my own.  However as a Chaplain, I am obligated to make sure that the needs of the membership are met.  I personally don't have to become one of them to make that happen...but I can attempt to arrange for services to be be provided.  At Encampments I have transported cadets and senior members to a local synagogue, a local Islamic prayer room, and a local Buddist temple.  Transporting members to a place of worship...or arranging for them to be able to practice their religious beliefs is a far cry from heresy.   Heresy is a word found within religious circles...but you will not find that term in the regulations governing the Chaplain service.  Since the regulations do not require me to embrace and proclaim the beliefs of faith groups that I am not a part of as my own, I do not have a problem with pluralism.  But if the regulations required me to become a member of one of the other faith groups and/or participate as one of them....that would be over the line.

If I as a Protestant Chaplain determine and presses the point that the chaplaincy has no place for the Buddist, Hindu, Jewish, Islamic, or Wiccan....then what would happen if someone would also say that there is no place for the Protestant Chaplain.  As a defender of the other's First Amendment rights, I can and will not exclude their right to practice their belief.  As a Protestant Chaplain, I can and will not attempt to proselytize.

Chaplaindon

Despite all of the talk of political correctness and the so forth, I would like to recommend to everyone an excellent film/video concerning the interfaith nature of the military chaplaincy. The film is entitled The Four Chaplains: Sacrifice at Sea and was released in 2004 (and shown on the Hallmark Channel on cable).

The film recounts the real-life events and resultant heroism of four (4) US Army chaplains --newbies to the chaplaincy all-- who met and became friends at Chaplain School at the Harvard University Divinity School during WWII.

This was a time (as the film points out quite well) of great religious mistrust and even some Nevertheless, these 4 clergymen: a Roman Catholic priest, a Dutch Reformed pastor, a Methodist pastor, and a Jewish Rabbi met, became fast friends and then an invincible team that displayed immense heroism one night in 1943 upon the frigid waters of the north Atlantic after their troop ship (the U.S.A.T. Dorchester) was torpedoed by a U-Boat.

Subsequent to the events of the Dorchester and the loss of the 4 chaplains (who gave up their places in the too-few lifeboats as well as their gloves, life vests (etc.) to save the soldiers), the US Post Office issued a stamp in their honor which says simply "INTERFAITH IN ACTION."

Additionally, in 1960 a special Medal of Honor was cast and awarded posthumously to the Four Chaplains for their exemplary heroism and loving service before self.

INTERFAITH IN ACTION.

That is the spirit of the Chaplaincy, or SHOULD be, even to this day. We are clergypersons of many faiths --even some we (as individuals) cannot accept as valid for us-- working together to serve the spiritual, emotional and moral needs of ALL the service/CAP members we are called to serve. It is --or SHOULD BE-- interfaith in action. In fact, the film quotes an interview with one of the surviving soldiers who admitted that --to this day-- he's not a believer. The chaplains sacrificed themselves to save him (and many others) regardless.

I heartily recommend this film to you. It might be a wonderful "squadron movie night" presentation. The DVD constains two versions, in fact, one that lasts 54 minutes (the one shown on TV) and would be ideal for a Squadron Meeting (or maybe an SLS/CLC) and a longer 1.5 hours (appx) version. It has been shown at the SWR CSSC in 2005.

The film is distributed by Faith & Values Media. You can read more at www.thefourchaplains.com.
AUXOP

Chappie

Quote from: Chaplaindon on March 09, 2007, 02:14:50 PM
Despite all of the talk of political correctness and the so forth, I would like to recommend to everyone an excellent film/video concerning the interfaith nature of the military chaplaincy. The film is entitled The Four Chaplains: Sacrifice at Sea and was released in 2004 (and shown on the Hallmark Channel on cable).

The film recounts the real-life events and resultant heroism of four (4) US Army chaplains --newbies to the chaplaincy all-- who met and became friends at Chaplain School at the Harvard University Divinity School during WWII.

This was a time (as the film points out quite well) of great religious mistrust and even some Nevertheless, these 4 clergymen: a Roman Catholic priest, a Dutch Reformed pastor, a Methodist pastor, and a Jewish Rabbi met, became fast friends and then an invincible team that displayed immense heroism one night in 1943 upon the frigid waters of the north Atlantic after their troop ship (the U.S.A.T. Dorchester) was torpedoed by a U-Boat.

Subsequent to the events of the Dorchester and the loss of the 4 chaplains (who gave up their places in the too-few lifeboats as well as their gloves, life vests (etc.) to save the soldiers), the US Post Office issued a stamp in their honor which says simply "INTERFAITH IN ACTION."

Additionally, in 1960 a special Medal of Honor was cast and awarded posthumously to the Four Chaplains for their exemplary heroism and loving service before self.

INTERFAITH IN ACTION.

That is the spirit of the Chaplaincy, or SHOULD be, even to this day. We are clergypersons of many faiths --even some we (as individuals) cannot accept as valid for us-- working together to serve the spiritual, emotional and moral needs of ALL the service/CAP members we are called to serve. It is --or SHOULD BE-- interfaith in action. In fact, the film quotes an interview with one of the surviving soldiers who admitted that --to this day-- he's not a believer. The chaplains sacrificed themselves to save him (and many others) regardless.

I heartily recommend this film to you. It might be a wonderful "squadron movie night" presentation. The DVD constains two versions, in fact, one that lasts 54 minutes (the one shown on TV) and would be ideal for a Squadron Meeting (or maybe an SLS/CLC) and a longer 1.5 hours (appx) version. It has been shown at the SWR CSSC in 2005.

The film is distributed by Faith & Values Media. You can read more at www.thefourchaplains.com.

I have prepared and used this account in a PPT presentation on a number of occasions.