Updating the Cadet Honor Guard/Color Guard Uniforms?

Started by AngelWings, December 11, 2012, 01:25:49 AM

Cool Mace

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 11, 2012, 05:38:38 PM
Quote from: PHall on December 11, 2012, 04:55:07 PM
I just served as a judge at a Group Color Guard Comp last Saturday. We had two teams competing.

One team wore just the bare minimum required uniform, but it was clean and they all wore it properly.

The other team was wearing some extra items (ascots, white rifle slings), but there was some dirt on the slings and they were wearing two types of shoes (leather and corfam) and shirt garters were not being worn.

Wanna guess which team won the Uniform Inspection part of the comp?

Clean and simple is the way to go when you're talking uniforms...

I was always under the impression that Color guards required the plain white ascots, white gloves, white cords, white belts. Is that not so? Can anyone link me to the latest NCC documents for CG as well?

Thanks.

I've never seen CG's wear ascots at comp. CAPM 52-4 http://capmembers.com/media/cms/M524_BA28735E30531.pdf

As for the gloves, cords, ect. That is worn while at competition.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Майор Хаткевич

That's actually really good to hear. I have serious issues with the ascots. While you can make them look "good" with a lot of effort, they look terrible overall.

Wasn't aware that they had made a CAPM for NCC. WIWAC it was some guide put together in FLWG IIRC.

Texas Raiders

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 11, 2012, 05:28:34 PM
The CAP Honor Guard Program has zero to do with the National Cadet Competition. When the Honor Guard does any of the above, they wear the CAPHG Uniform. If cadets are part of NCC, they are not allowed to wear the HG uniform, they are supposed to wear the standard blues with CAP specific Color Guard items.

There's no contradiction because these are unrelated events with different uniforms.

Roger.  I guess the color guard will need more gear.

I'm sorry for taking us off topic.  I don't think the HG uniform needs updating.
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
399th Comp. Squadron,  Danbury, CT "Yankee Hatters"
IAFF Local 1567
USCG- 1998-2010   Boatswain's Mate
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

RogueLeader

Quote from: Texas Raiders on December 11, 2012, 04:38:24 PM

The use of the standard service dress blue uniform is perfectly acceptable for rendering ceremonial honors and should be used in absence of the standardized HG uniform or any wing approved ceremonial uniform.  This is common practice in most, if not all military branches.

This worked well for the 12 funeral details that I had the honor to be apart of as part of the Army.  Just my Greens, jump boots, Maroon beret, and M-4 Carbine (7 funerals with bugle).
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Texas Raiders

Quote from: Texas Raiders on December 11, 2012, 05:53:08 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 11, 2012, 05:28:34 PM
The CAP Honor Guard Program has zero to do with the National Cadet Competition. When the Honor Guard does any of the above, they wear the CAPHG Uniform. If cadets are part of NCC, they are not allowed to wear the HG uniform, they are supposed to wear the standard blues with CAP specific Color Guard items.

There's no contradiction because these are unrelated events with different uniforms.

Roger.

I'm sorry for taking us off topic.  I don't think the HG uniform needs updating.
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
IAFF Local 1567
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

Cool Mace

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 11, 2012, 05:45:56 PM
That's actually really good to hear. I have serious issues with the ascots. While you can make them look "good" with a lot of effort, they look terrible overall.

Wasn't aware that they had made a CAPM for NCC. WIWAC it was some guide put together in FLWG IIRC.

I agree with the ascots...

I know what you mean about the guide. It was pretty vague in areas. More so than 39-1.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

AngelWings

Here's my own opinions:

I would like to see, when the economy turns around and we have money to, see some modernization of our current HG/CG uniforms. I do agree it is definitely not a huge concern, just an aesthetical boost could be made and be acceptable finacially. My things I would like to see updated is the cords to be standardized above the epaulet (the current cords I've seen are all designed to be worn under the epaulet) considering that the new style is now in use and standardization to using all new style coats. Just some small things that could be improved.

The current belts, in my opinion, could be changed purely for a "why not" reason. I'd like to see a CAP distinctive belt in rich colors that match our uniforms, with a distinctive buckle if it's not too expensive IE under $100. Again, that's one of those "well now wouldn't that be cool" things.

Ear muffs or the USAF hats are not authorized for the HG/CG uniform, but I believe they should be. They could be worn with the all weather coat, mirroring the USAF HG regulations, during inclement weather.

I want to see dry cleaners be utilized by HG/CG to create the proper crisp image that a HG/CG should always have. If money is around, I believe we should take the factor of "did that cadet iron his uniform w/o making railroad tracks, making it shiny or burning it, and does it meet our standards?" personally. It's one of my pet peeves, considering how little action most HG/CG details get used.

I really like the ascot for one reason I am not going to state, but it makes its use a lot more practical.

PHall

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 11, 2012, 05:38:38 PM
Quote from: PHall on December 11, 2012, 04:55:07 PM
I just served as a judge at a Group Color Guard Comp last Saturday. We had two teams competing.

One team wore just the bare minimum required uniform, but it was clean and they all wore it properly.

The other team was wearing some extra items (ascots, white rifle slings), but there was some dirt on the slings and they were wearing two types of shoes (leather and corfam) and shirt garters were not being worn.

Wanna guess which team won the Uniform Inspection part of the comp?

Clean and simple is the way to go when you're talking uniforms...

I was always under the impression that Color guards required the plain white ascots, white gloves, white cords, white belts. Is that not so? Can anyone link me to the latest NCC documents for CG as well?

Thanks.

CAPR 52-4 is your friend.

Mustang

I'd say there's a greater chance of the HG uniform being eliminated entirely than new doodads being approved. 
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Mustang on December 30, 2012, 04:59:08 AM
I'd say there's a greater chance of the HG uniform being eliminated entirely than new doodads being approved.

Possibly. Nothing wrong with a color guard in Service Dress.

PA Guy

Quote from: Mustang on December 30, 2012, 04:59:08 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

coloncapfl

I see a lot of people pinion in the negative on this matter, but my first question is, How many of you have been either former cadets or former military? and if in the military, have you been in an Honor guard?
I understand that the economy is bad and that we cant ask this cadets for more, but I think that a happy medium which is allow an optional uniform with extra additions ( near like the AF/HG) and the regular Dress uniform.
About comparing a Sloppy looking HG uniform vs a sharp simple uniform  of course the sharp looks good but on the other coin a sloppy service uniform and a sharp HG uniform which looks best?
I was a Drill team/HG when I was a cadet and we did fun raising activities to get our uniforms, and We loved the fact of the distinction in uniform from the regular uniform. It gave us a sense of pride, the same when I was in the military color guard. Unless you have been in it in reality you really don't find an appreciation for it. About the Ascot, there are ways to make it look sharp.

Finally I have to say that it troubles me to hear people (not necessarily in this thread) that wants to get rid of any AF style uniform all together. This is an Official auxiliary of the Air Force, if you don't like the AF uniform then just don't join the organization. I believe if that comes to happen, more than have of the youth in the program will leave the program. Thai is my opinion and my intention is not to offend anyone, but I have to thank my outstanding performance during my time in the military to my cadet roots in CAP.

Thank you for your time

Pylon

Quote from: coloncapfl on January 11, 2013, 07:01:19 AM
I see a lot of people pinion in the negative on this matter, but my first question is, How many of you have been either former cadets or former military? and if in the military, have you been in an Honor guard?

Yes, yes, and yes.  Former cadet, U.S. Marine, and have served on military funeral honor guard duties.  And guess what?  I still think our cadets can do any ceremonials just fine in the regular service dress uniforms.  Save the money, save the extra level of complication, focus on the work.   If you need extra doodads on your uniform to get that sense of pride, then you're doing it wrong.  It is not, nor should it ever be, about the uniform; it's about what we do.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Texas Raiders

Quote from: coloncapfl on January 11, 2013, 07:01:19 AMHow many of you have been either former cadets or former military? and if in the military, have you been in an Honor guard?

I am both a former cadet (a member of my squadron's honor guard) and a military veteran.  While I served on many unit level ceremonial details, (color guard, funeral, wreath laying, bos'n and side boys, etc.) I was never bestowed the privelege of serving with my service's honor guard.  Can I still play?   ;)   

Quote from: coloncapfl on January 11, 2013, 07:01:19 AMI understand that the economy is bad and that we cant ask this cadets for more, but I think that a happy medium which is allow an optional uniform with extra additions ( near like the AF/HG) and the regular Dress uniform.

Such a uniform already exists.  It is the current HG uniform.

Quote from: coloncapfl on January 11, 2013, 07:01:19 AMAbout comparing a Sloppy looking HG uniform vs a sharp simple uniform  of course the sharp looks good but on the other coin a sloppy service uniform and a sharp HG uniform which looks best?

The sharper uniform always looks better, regardless of what kind.  Just because it says "honor guard" on it, doesn't make it better.

Quote from: coloncapfl on January 11, 2013, 07:01:19 AMAbout the Ascot, there are ways to make it look sharp.

Please elaborate!   >:D

The HG isn't about making people feel good nor is the uniform.  The Honor Guard is about rendering honors, paying respect, and positive representation.  Serving in an HG is a privelege and should be a source of pride.  The HG uniform is the symbol of membership in that detail.  One way members exhibit their pride is through the proper care and wear of the uniform.  This is not limited to HG members.  The wearing any CAP uniform is a privelege and should be done so properly. 
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
IAFF Local 1567

Texas Raiders

SM Randy Patterson
DPO
IAFF Local 1567

Rosco P

I am the senior member in charge of the cadets color guard and honor guard and because we are in a active AF military base we must be at our best. Yes, we know that it is expensive but guess what?? we do fund raises....it seems to me that you have forgotten one of our core values, community service, we do it constantly and since they see us they do monetary donations so we can buy our uniforms and keep them sharp for both teams honor and color....my suggest try to get a senior member who is motivated to the cause and train properly....those who are saying cost too much try to look for ways to be closer to your community and you will see the result...or just write letter to your local AFB, we get donations constantly...my point is be motivated and you will see result

abdsp51

Quote from: em90coe on February 16, 2013, 06:20:25 AM
I am the senior member in charge of the cadets color guard and honor guard and because we are in a active AF military base we must be at our best. Yes, we know that it is expensive but guess what?? we do fund raises....it seems to me that you have forgotten one of our core values, community service, we do it constantly and since they see us they do monetary donations so we can buy our uniforms and keep them sharp for both teams honor and color....my suggest try to get a senior member who is motivated to the cause and train properly....those who are saying cost too much try to look for ways to be closer to your community and you will see the result...or just write letter to your local AFB, we get donations constantly...my point is be motivated and you will see result

You must be near Luke then and funny I can't find your charter anywhere....

RogueLeader

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 16, 2013, 07:32:06 PM

AZ-220 is Luke Cadet Squadron 356.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

abdsp51

Quote from: RogueLeader on February 17, 2013, 12:37:21 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on February 16, 2013, 07:32:06 PM

AZ-220 is Luke Cadet Squadron 356.

Tango,  found it after you posted that.  Honestly Honor/Color Guards don't need tailored uniforms to perform their functions.

Texas Raiders

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 17, 2013, 01:54:30 AM

Honestly Honor/Color Guards don't need tailored uniforms to perform their functions.

+1

Also, community service is not a core value.  Volunteer service is though.  I know, I know.......semantics.   ::)
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
IAFF Local 1567