NEW Hurricane Relief Patch

Started by DNall, February 26, 2007, 10:57:06 PM

DNall

Just got this email, don't know if this has made it around yet. Apparently this is optional wear activity patch like the shuttle patch or NCSAs. Not very creative, but oh well.

MIKE

Did this come form national... I was under the impression that the shuttle patch came out of one of the wings and is not an authorized patch.
Mike Johnston

alamrcn

Oh, how fun! It's an Ok patch, and I'll bet that it is based off of another agency's design - much like the CISM patch was. It has a resemblance to the Task Force Columbia patch too.   So, where do we go get'um?

And in regard to the Task Force Columbia patch...
Yes, it IS an authorized patch. It was authorized by most of the wings involved in the recovery missions following the shuttle's break-up over land. National had nothing to do with it - probably dragged their feet on it. Members participating from outside the approving wings would have to get wear permission from their own wing commander. I believe the initial ordering of the patch was handled by Addison Eagles Composite Squadron in Texas.

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

O-Rex

I was picturing what it would look like while the graphic downloaded on my dial-up (Hi, we're the Slowski's...) and it was pretty much what I anticipated.

Is it official?? Probably: it has the "made exclusively for Vanguard" look.

Last time I wore a gal's name on my shoulder, had to cover it up with an eagle tattoo when we broke up  ;D

DNall

Quote from: alamrcn on February 26, 2007, 11:51:24 PM
So, where do we go get'um?
Email text:
QuoteThe 2005 Hurricane Relief Mission Patch is in production and will be here in
a few weeks. The production sample is attached.

Those who desire patches need to send the following info:

Name
Full address
Telephone
Email address (if you desire notice when mailed)
Number of patches desired @ $4.00 each
Mailing cost @ $1.00 per order

with your payment (Check or money order made out to Civil Air Patrol) to:

Irving CS
POB 710068
Dallas, TX 75371-0068

Orders will be mailed as soon as patches are received.

Whiz

Dietrich P. Whisennand, Lt Col, CAP
DCFS, Irving CS, TX 133
POB 710068
Dallas, TX 75371-0068
H:214-827-8786
C:214-563-3748
F:214-821-5223
KI5L, AFA4IM, TX CAP 3852

I think it's probably the same situation as the shuttle patch. I've heard this was coming for some time, and now it's here. I thought it would be from HQ, but apparently not. Whatever, send an email to your Wg CC requesting he grant temporary authorization till it can be included in the supplement, and ask him to have NB approve it here in a few weeks. Anyway, we're all set down here.

Major Carrales

I don't mind the patches looking the same (i.e Shuttle vs Hurricane), in fact a standard patch with an alternating design might be a good "tradition."
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Stupid question (or not): What does the "5" designate?

Katrina was only a few miles per hour short of an actual Cat 5, but it wasn't one fully. So the "5" doesn't really match up on the hurricane scale. Does it represent the year?

Chaplaindon

Actually, when it was all said and done (retrospective analysis, and all), I am pretty sure the NHC subsequently determined Katrina to be a strong Cat-3 storm upon landfall.

Whilst in the Gulf, it briefly was the strongest Cat-5 (based upon central barometric pressure) in the history of Atlantic cyclones.  The physics of tropical cyclones preclude one from remaining at Cat-5 intensity for more than a matter of hours --at any one time.

Nevertheless, it doesn't take a Saffir-Simpson catagory 5 storm to cause  catastrophic damage and tragic loss of life. In fact, the 1900 Galveston, TX storm (the worst natural disaster in US history, with perhaps as many as 12,000 deaths -- an accurate count was never possible) was a Cat-4 upon landfall.

For that matter, 2001's "Allison" was but a Tropical Storm when it caused incredible damage to the Houston area and the world-famous Texas Medical Center.

It's a nice looking patch regardless, good work Whiz.
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

ddelaney103

It seems to me the concept of allowing the wear of "one time event" patches is more appropriate for my daughter's Brownie vest than our uniforms.

I can't think of an equivalent in the military other than flightsuit patches - which get a lot of unofficial use due in part to the fact that vercroed patches allow for a bit of jocularity without being a permanent problem.

Major Carrales

Quote from: ddelaney103 on February 27, 2007, 04:08:07 AM
It seems to me the concept of allowing the wear of "one time event" patches is more appropriate for my daughter's Brownie vest than our uniforms.

I can't think of an equivalent in the military other than flightsuit patches - which get a lot of unofficial use due in part to the fact that vercroed patches allow for a bit of jocularity without being a permanent problem.

I meant for the collectors value or some decorative "CAP Trophy" Jacket.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 27, 2007, 04:11:08 AM
I meant for the collectors value or some decorative "CAP Trophy" Jacket.
Please don't!
Quote from: ddelaney103 on February 27, 2007, 04:08:07 AM

Less the joking, flight suit patch is the size of it. Operation patches are common (red flag for instance), but tend not to get worn long term. I think it's fine for optional wear under the same rules as NCSA patches & no longer authorized after say five years after the event. Wouldn't mind applying the same rule to NCSA patches for that matter.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 27, 2007, 03:32:16 AM
Stupid question (or not): What does the "5" designate?

Katrina was only a few miles per hour short of an actual Cat 5, but it wasn't one fully. So the "5" doesn't really match up on the hurricane scale. Does it represent the year?

Andrew was a strong Cat 4 when it hit land in 1992, but because of the severe damage caused it was later reclassed a Cat 5.

Camille in 1969 was a strong Cat 5 when it made landfall in the Mississippi Redneck Riviera; reportedly there was a wind gust of over 200 mph before the equipment was blown away.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

This is ours, completley unofficial and not approved for wear.
We went through the process with the Wing and Region and were told there was "no interest" in approving the insignia for wear on uniform.

This has already been run as patches and beautiful coins we all carry.

If I get a chance I'll scan the coin...

Edit: The stars in IL are for the 4 groups the teams came from - 1, 14, 12, & 22.  The MS stars are for the areas of our operations - Jackson, MS & Hancock County.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Here's the coins in an image sent from the vendor.

Note - these are pre-production spec versions and the year is wrong, it was corrected on the coins that were issued.

Coins were limited to team members and presented to members and outside parties who assisted with the deployment (LO, Wing / Group CC's, some employers, etc).

The final coins were deep-filled with an epoxy coating, which give them a smooth surface.

"That Others May Zoom"

alamrcn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 27, 2007, 02:25:45 PM

That patch is gorgeous, never seen it before. Do you have any left?

You'ld think New York Wing would have done a 9/11 service patch of some type... for comemorative purposes. I like to see these special event and activity patches - they represent an important momment in time and in one's life. I through on an old encampment patch now and then, so I remember and can share a story with someone who asks me about it. THAT is keeping history alive right there!

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

arajca

Quote from: DNall on February 26, 2007, 10:57:06 PM
Just got this email, don't know if this has made it around yet. Apparently this is optional wear activity patch like the shuttle patch or NCSAs. Not very creative, but oh well.
So, would this be only for those who were in the immediate impact area or would it include those who worked with the evacuees in other states?

Eclipse

Quote from: alamrcn on February 27, 2007, 05:40:31 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 27, 2007, 02:25:45 PM

That patch is gorgeous, never seen it before. Do you have any left?

You'ld think New York Wing would have done a 9/11 service patch of some type... for comemorative purposes. I like to see these special event and activity patches - they represent an important momment in time and in one's life. I through on an old encampment patch now and then, so I remember and can share a story with someone who asks me about it. THAT is keeping history alive right there!

- Ace

Thanks,

In light of the fact that we could not get the approval to wear them through channels, we purposely did a very small run of patches, so there are none extra.

This is a scan of the actual patch, for whatever reason these scanners just do not do the luster of the thread, or details justice:

I don't understand why CAP doesn't better recognize the significant events in its history properly.  One suggestion was "theater ribbons" similiar to what the RealMilitary® does.

The Katrina activity is now a part of CAP's lore, and is mentioned in the same breath as the subchasers, 9/11, and the Challenger recovery, yet routine events like Blue Beret, and even the average encampment get better coverage from a commemoration standpoint than these important, high-visibility activities.

This isn't sour grapes, I got my NCC, same as everyone, and the actual missions garnered me plenty of ribbonage, it would just be nice to think someone at NHQ thought enough of these activities to commemorate them better.

Maybe a national coin or approved disaster relief patch with a rocker showing where you went, etc....

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on February 27, 2007, 06:36:32 PM
I don't understand why CAP doesn't better recognize the significant events in its history properly.  One suggestion was "theater ribbons" similiar to what the RealMilitary® does.

An interesting idea, but considering how long a CAP member can be in, that could add up to one large rack after several years or so.

DNall

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 27, 2007, 07:32:16 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 27, 2007, 06:36:32 PM

An interesting idea, but considering how long a CAP member can be in, that could add up to one large rack after several years or so.
We have those already, the SaR, DR, CN, and soon to be Border Patrol, are explicitly our version of campaign ribbons. I don't know if event ribbons make sense. I mean where do you draw the line for one thing, both which events, and which people in what capacities get it. And those events are a few weeks at most, not 60days to a year or more like the real mil.

To me coins sound good. Then if we're going to do patches than take them off after a max of five years after the event (smae w/ NCSAs), that seems fair enough.

JohnKachenmeister

Katrina WAS a Cat-5, but the wind dropped just before landfall.  I don't remember if Wilma was ever a Cat-5, but it hit where I live as a low-end Cat-2.  Most of the damage in Wilma in Central Florida was from tornadoes spun off from her.
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

Rita
4th most intense Atlantic hurricane ever recorded.
Cat 5 at its height, Cat 3 at landfall.

Katrina
6th strongest Atlantic hurricane, third-strongest to make landfall in the US.
Cat 1 over Florida, Cat 3 on LA & MS

Wilma
Most intense storm recorded in the Atlantic basin. Smallet eye on record.
Cat 4 on landfall at Cozumel, Cat 3 at Florida

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

One more piece of silliness...

This is the logo I use on the briefing .ppt 

At this point, you are likely about 1/2 as sick of hearing about this as the people of ILWG are.   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

Not so much as upset about what the Wing accomplished, but rather the fact that certain members of my group were part of the deployment and the ES folks from my unit were not even notified of the opportunity.
I'm not placing blame, just saying Im disgruntled.  That said the coin is amazing.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

floridacyclist

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 27, 2007, 07:32:16 PM
The other possibility would be clusters for the DR ribbon, or even use bronze and silver Vs to represent repetitive awards, similar to most other awards that you can be given more than once.

After a couple more hurricane seasons like the last two, some of us would be going to the numeric devices from the longevity awards.  :D

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

alamrcn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 28, 2007, 02:19:50 AM
One more piece of silliness...

OH NO! It's one of those rare desructive huricanes coming in off of Lake Michigan... Chicago better evacuate, and I hope the dykes in the Naval yard hold!

Maybe I'll be lucky enough to fall on one off those patches and preserve it in a decade or two when somebody cleans out their basement!

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

A.Member

I'm fine with the idea of coins but what on earth would you need yet another patch for?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Go bags, love me walls, patch jackets, etc.

We produced them while were still hopeful on approval for uniform wear, knowing full well it might not come.

We're also kind of waiting to see if anybody ever shows up wearing one.
None of the 13 would, but people do the dumbest things.

One of the early coin designs included the names of the 13 teams members.  The reasoning being that we always intended to give them to people who helped, but then it would prevent people from telling others they had "earned" the coin.

On more then one occasion we've heard of people waxing poetic about their time in Mississippi despite the fact that they weren't there.

The best one so far was at NESA last year, where somone was going on about his time in Stennis to one of our guys.

When the guy persisted, our guy pulled out the decoration list from NHQ and asked where his name was.

"hmmm...must be a mistake..."

Awesome.   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: A.Member on February 28, 2007, 03:30:05 PM
I'm fine with the idea of coins but what on earth would you need yet another patch for?

One mans's bling is another man's commemmoration  ;D
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

floridacyclist

He might have been a genuine imposter, but not being on the list is no guarantee that someone was there or not. I know of several folks, including myself who aren't on the list for the award yet later received it through Wing or Group if at all.

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Eclipse

Quote from: floridacyclist on February 28, 2007, 06:00:06 PM
He might have been a genuine imposter, but not being on the list is no guarantee that someone was there or not. I know of several folks, including myself who aren't on the list for the award yet later received it through Wing or Group if at all.

This guy was a bit of a GOB from ILWG who specifically said he was at Stennis, not realizing he was talking to one of the guys who really was.

The other was an ILWG guy posting on a mailing list and insinuating he had been there.

To our frustration, and the detriment of the mission, there were only 13 people from ILWG authorized to be there on any level (as CAP).

We have ILWG people who were there on other tickets, Red Cross, IMERT, etc., but they are always quick to point out the affiliation.  Several were able to do more than we did in a purely DR sense.

These are the only ones we know of directly.  We just take it as a compliment - like guys who pretend to be Seals, say they were at 9/11, etc., its kinda cool to have done something important / visible enough that others want to lie about doing it...

That you were there and didn't get recognition is not right, but at least you got it later...

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Quote from: floridacyclist on February 28, 2007, 01:43:34 PM
The other possibility would be clusters for the DR ribbon, or even use bronze and silver Vs to represent repetitive awards, similar to most other awards that you can be given more than once.
I like that idea, not so much the V cause that only alows from one upgrade & what are we doing using a valor device anyways. Clusters would work fine though. You can get 26 awards on that way.

floridacyclist

I was referring to the V devices that come on the Disaster with "V" device.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

DNall

Quote from: floridacyclist on February 28, 2007, 07:16:49 PM
I was referring to the V devices that come on the Disaster with "V" device.
Yeah I was too... V for what? It only means one thing in the military. I'm not offended by that or anything, but just a minute ago you guys were talking about posers.

I think it would be more appropriate to go with clusters on the DR ribbon just like we do SaR. It can be by sortie hours like SaR or by incidents as you mentioned, I got no preference either way. The V device on the other hand, what would have been more appropriate would have been to award unit citation or standard merit medals (cdr's comm, merit svc, etc) w/ "V" for actual mission service, as opposed to running a training event. No need for a national CC's commendation or any of that crap. Just makes more sense that way.

MIKE

This is drifting a bit.  Knowing what the "V" device means in the military, we probably shouldn't be using it at all in a CAP award context.  It makes some sense to distinguish Medals of Valor, but not really on the DR ribbon.  Still have my Restructuring CAP Awards thread on the back burner.  Maybe start a new topic?
Mike Johnston

DNall

I'll wait for your thread to input.... just a point of order though, the AF does award unit citations w/ Valor device. I got a guy just joined the Sq here that has one & he's a nurse (PA flight nurse actually) in a reserve medical unit. It's arguably appropriate on a merit medal or unit citation for action in dangerous conditions, and yes it is most appropriate on the bronze/silver medal for valor.

MississippiFlyboy

Quote from: Eclipse on February 28, 2007, 04:53:58 PM
On more then one occasion we've heard of people waxing poetic about their time in Mississippi despite the fact that they weren't there.

LMAO  ;D  "so there I was at FOB Hawkins..."

Cool patches guys...i'd like to grab some of those and add it to my Katrina collection. I have a nice challenge coin from the MS National Guard they whipped up for Katrina. 
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Kevin Myers
2d Lt, CAP
SER-MS-100

alamrcn

This isn't a picture of a patch, but of a design that was no doubt made into one...

Pretty, but now the Texas Wing initiated "2005 Hurricane Relief" patch doesn't look so much like a "BS" badge. I do like the design of ILWG's ill-fated badge best though - more USAF looking, but that is just what I like.

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

floridacyclist

I just found this one on my hard drive; the original file came from the old FL Wing Special Ops page. At one time, we were discussing having these embroidered on the backs of black windbreakers just for giggles and grins.

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

LtCol White

Well an option would be to create a small metal device in the shape of the hurricane symbol that could be worn on the disaster relief ribbon.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

arajca

Quote from: LtCol White on March 01, 2007, 07:19:20 PM
Well an option would be to create a small metal device in the shape of the hurricane symbol that could be worn on the disaster relief ribbon.
Slippery Slope Warning!
Do you also create a tornado device, snowflake device, flood device, flame device, earthquake device? There are more disasters than just hurricanes.

LtCol White

Yeah i know. There is no simple solution. Especially since the ribbon is supposed to encompass all "disasters". The key is to find a device that could give special recognition to those extraordinary events. Since we already have stars, triangles and props, perhaps something in a diamond shape that would refer to major events. Perhpas a lightening bolt.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

DNall

Quote from: arajca on March 01, 2007, 07:27:49 PM
Slippery Slope Warning!
Do you also create a tornado device, snowflake device, flood device, flame device, earthquake device? There are more disasters than just hurricanes.
I understand you can't & shopuldn't put a device on for every type of disaster, but something representative of them all in place of the "V" would have been better, and there just so happens to already be a hurricane device available:

Still I like the idea of clusters congruent in some way with the SaR & CN ribbons. Go over there to ultra thin,  put up a couple disaster relief ribbons, and play with different devices. I think you'll find it looks right.

LtCol White

Of course, I dont think u can have devices for everthing. Just trying to think of something that would be dinstictive to a major event of any type. Hurricane, flood, snow, fire, terrorism, etc..

Perhaps something like a diamond or lightening bolt would suffice. Since the triangle clasp is used to denote repetitive awards, something that would only be used to designate a major event is needed.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

ddelaney103

Quote from: arajca on March 01, 2007, 07:27:49 PM
Slippery Slope Warning!

That's OK: we'll just limit it to Air, Earth, Fire and Water.  Collect all four!

LtCol White

Well if u want to stick with the "theme" of using a "V" device, you could have a "D" device to denote a major disaster of whatever type.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

cnitas

How about authorize bars for wear on the DR ribbon.
The bars could read "KATRINA", "RITA", COLUMBIA", Etc.

There would be a list of authorized bars, and you would wear 1 of your choice if you have earned more than 1.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: cnitas on March 02, 2007, 06:44:50 AM
How about authorize bars for wear on the DR ribbon.
The bars could read "KATRINA", "RITA", COLUMBIA", Etc.

There would be a list of authorized bars, and you would wear 1 of your choice if you have earned more than 1.

It's actually very rare to see ribbons displaying bars in US military-style uniforms, oak leaf clusters, stars or other devices used instead.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LtCol White

The bars is a good idea but since the ribbons are small, it wouldnt take long before you had too many bars. Thus my thinking of a "D" or a symbol such as a diamond or lightening bolt. Similar to the oak leaf or palm used in DOD
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

DNall

A "D" for disaster, on the Disaster Relief Ribbon, that's a little redundant isn't it? I'd say the basic ribbon with clusters the same way as the SaR or CN ribbons. The "V" should go, but if they want to recorgnize that then the CG hurricane attachment is plenty representative. A lightning bolt or cloud would be fine, but those aren't pre-mandufactured in quantity for someone else who we can just rip off rather than paying to create something new. Bars & letters don't lend themselves to recognizing multiple awards, and they don't look very good.

arajca

The problem with the DR ribbon is it has two distinct ways of being earned. First, and probably the most common, serve with CAP in direct support/response to a federally declared disaster. Second, complete the training detailed in CAPR 39-3. The first gets you the "V" device, while the second just gets the basic ribbon.

SJFedor

you could get one of those army style marksmanship medals, except instead of having a target on it, have a big hurricane or something else resembling a rather large charlie foxtrot in which you participated. put as many qual bars on it as you want with different mission names!

/sarcasm

more and more bling...

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

MIKE

How about "O" and "S" devices instead?  >:D
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on March 02, 2007, 05:47:20 PM
The problem with the DR ribbon is it has two distinct ways of being earned. First, and probably the most common, serve with CAP in direct support/response to a federally declared disaster. Second, complete the training detailed in CAPR 39-3. The first gets you the "V" device, while the second just gets the basic ribbon.

Five (5) DR Missions >AND< Two of 7 possible courses listed in 39-3

or

Five (5) DR Missions >AND< 40 hours of approved related DR training or other activities.

or

Participation in a Presidentially declared disaster area, which, in addition to the ribbon earns you the "V".  The "V" is only awarded for a Presidentially declared disaster.

IMHO the assumption being that a PDDA will entail a significant amount of property damage and loss of life, and conversely the efforts and personal risk to the members participating is that much higher than a "normal" disaster.

"That Others May Zoom"

floridacyclist

Quote from: arajca on March 02, 2007, 05:47:20 PM

Are you sure that the Disaser w/ V requires service to be with CAP? The SME at the Knowledgebase didn't seem to think so when I was pursuing a different award for a cadet who did some interesting things with a different disaster agency. They suggested the Disaster W/ V device and pointed out that the reg only requires participation in a federally-declared disaster response.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Eclipse

Quote from: floridacyclist on March 02, 2007, 06:37:17 PM
Are you sure that the Disaser w/ V requires service to be with CAP? The SME at the Knowledgebase didn't seem to think so when I was pursuing a different award for a cadet who did some interesting things with a different disaster agency. They suggested the Disaster W/ V device and pointed out that the reg only requires participation in a federally-declared disaster response.

Not from the regulation itself

Quote from: CAPR 39-3(E), Page 8
f. Disaster Relief Ribbon. Awarded for participation in five actual/evaluated disaster relief missions and completion of two of the following requirements:
(1) All of the following Red Cross courses:
(a) Introduction to Disaster Services:
How the Red Cross Chapter Renders Emergency Assistance
(b) Disaster Damage Assessment
(c) Shelter Management
(2) The Red Cross course, Damage Assessment Supervision in Disaster
(3) The Red Cross course, Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation and Advanced First Aid
(4) Radiological Monitoring for Instructors
(5) Radiological Defense Officer Course
(6) Airborne Radiological Monitoring Course
(7) Participation in other equivalent disaster relief activities totaling at least 40 hours of
activity certified by disaster relief agency. This could include any training similar to the above courses and/or
actual mission activity (in addition to the five required missions).
g. Disaster Relief Ribbon with “V” Device. The Disaster Relief Ribbon with a “V” device may be
awarded to any CAP member who participates in a disaster relief effort for a Presidential declared disaster.
Participation must be verified by the on-scene commander. Participation in any Presidential declared
disaster since 1990 qualifies

It is specific about "Presidentially declared" - I don't know if you could have a FDDA that wasn't a PDDA, probably not.

I suppose that you could stretch it to include outside activities, assuming someone approved it, but frankly this is a CAP award - other agencies would have their own awards for within that agency.

Since the classes and extra are mostly Red Cross stuff, I suppose it would be fairly common for someone active in the ARC to come into CAP as a new SM and from day one have a DR w/V, but Idon't know if its appropriate.

I am always a bit wary of people who want CAP awards for non-CAP activities, and anyone who asked for this from me would need to show me a lot of dcoumentationa and I'd still kick it up the chain, in that it is one of the more unusual awards in CAP (for the average member).

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Quote from: Eclipse on March 02, 2007, 06:19:38 PM
IMHO the assumption being that a PDDA will entail a significant amount of property damage and loss of life, and conversely the efforts and personal risk to the members participating is that much higher than a "normal" disaster.
That's a very dangeous assumption. Pretty small things get a federal declearation. I've been on several with no loss of life & only a temprorary economic impact. I've also been out on state declerations that were much more significant those more localized. The greatest danger I've experienced in CAP has been during UDF missions facing armed persons, followed closely by mission & non-mission flights with pilots that have so many hours they think ATC doesn't get to control them anymore. Driving around floods & tornado area is just fun.

Note: There is legally no such thing as a Presidentially declared disaster. The President's signature is required to make it a federally declared disaster area, which allows more money, but there would have been a significant federal response ongoing well before that point.

floridacyclist

I am sure the cadet would have much rather participated through CAP but was not allowed to due to his age. He also did not ask for anything, this was a joint decision by myself, the commander, and the promotions/awards board with input from the Knowledgebase. At first, the suggestion had come up to give him a Commander's Commendation, but that was definitely worded as to be available only for on-duty CAP service. My question to the knowledgebase was "What award if any would he be eligible for for meritorious service off-duty in a disaster zone?" and pointed out that even though he was deployed as a non-member,  CAP had been getting a lot of PR mileage out of his actions as every mention of the actions referred to him as a CAP cadet.

Their suggestion was a Disaster with V device and possibly a BMV. I replied and reiterated that he did not respond with CAP and they quoted that the reg only required that a CAP member participate in a FDD, not that he participate with CAP. To back that up, it was also pointed out that the regular DR ribbon was worded similarly and went on to clarify
Quote7) Participation in other equivalent disaster relief activities totaling at least 40 hours of activity certified by disaster relief agency.
leaving one to conclude that participation could be with other agencies.

The Group Commander wrote it up as either a BMV directly citing his acts, or a Commander's Commendation aimed more at the representation of CAP and how he upheld the ideals of the program etc etc and presented it to the Group Promotions and Awards Board who chose to go with the BMV.

At the November Open House, the cadet was presented with the Disaster Relief Ribbon plus a second Disaster Ribbon with V device. Although wing said that they are seperate awards, he has been wearing just the ribbon with the V device. As for how he earned the regular Disaster Ribbon (it's tougher to get than the one with the V Device), he's also a CERT instructor and helped run the Red Cross Youth Disaster College. We also counted up the responses he's deployed on, and if the DR ribbon had clusters, he'd have a silver and 3 bronzes on it.

Last I heard, the BMV is still pending somewhere above Group level.

As for the amount of risk on a FDD, it has also been pointed out that ANY participation qualifies...even for a cadet that works an hour as a runner or gate guard at a mission base outside the disaster zone or a comm operator who relays a message.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

LtCol White

Sometimes, the NG will award its disaster relief ribbon to CAP. I (along with about 15 others) rec'd this from the GA NG when we involved in a 100 yr ice storm and it was CAP that kept the Atlanta hospitals supplied with meds and medical personnel by transporting them to and from work as well as bringing in medical supplies from the warehouses around the city. Dont know if any of the NG awards were given to CAP members for their work during the hurricanes but this certainly helps to recognize personnel in these events. But its not something CAP has any control over.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

DNall

You'd get humanitatian service is you were also in the mil, everyone did. There were a lot of unit citations flying around too if you worked with someone during the award period. None of that is awarded to civilians though, so tough luck, and htat's too bad, cause that'd be a much better way to recognize people.

RiverAux

Quote from: MIKE on March 02, 2007, 05:56:39 PM
How about "O" and "S" devices instead?  >:D

And you were making fun of me for bringing up a CG Aux policy related to a CAP discussion we were having.... ;)