San Diego timelapse

Started by Eclipse, December 05, 2012, 10:57:43 PM

Eclipse

Landings at San Diego Int Airport Nov 23, 2012

That last plane could very well be a CAP bird.  I know it's how I've felt staring down the back end of a heavy and then
the length of 6500 some feet of concrete at MDW.  Cool video, regardless. I could do the same out my office window for ORD.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly where this was shot from. The bridge is not familiar.

As for the last plane belonging to CAP, it's not likely. I don't recall that we've ever operated out of SAN. There are other, closer, and more convenient places to land.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RogueLeader

Talk about congested airspace.   >:D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 05, 2012, 11:26:26 PM
Talk about congested airspace.   >:D

It was #10 on the World's Most Dangerous Airports show. The only place I've flown into that bothered me more was the Checkerboard Approach into Kai Tak, in Hong Kong. In both approaches, you are looking out, and up, at the tops of the buildings.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

John Wayne has you looking sideways level with buildings too. Though.. perhaps more so for us pipsqueaks. ;-)

PHall

Dave, I'm thinking the bridge over the 163 in Balboa Park.

Eclipse

How it was done: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/01/five-hours-of-airplane-landings-captured-in-thirty-seconds/
This European image was the inspiration:

It was taken from under the 1st Street Bridge.
The artist: http://cysfilm.com/

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

It's not the Cabrillo bridge. The flight path isn't even over the bridge. It's another one in the area. I just can't place which, as most everything down there is solid construction other than the approach to the Coronado bridge, and Pacific Highway where it goes over railroad tracks, and along Sasafrass, Washington St., etc. 

The Cabrillo bridge is solid construction, and much narrower than that.

I'm darn certain I've been at that same spot before too. Just can't place it. As for where the overhead shots were from, that's got to be in the area of Hawthorne st, east of I-5.

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on December 06, 2012, 04:18:50 AM
Dave, I'm thinking the bridge over the 163 in Balboa Park.

I looked at that on GE, and those bridges are all concrete. This is a truss arch, and I just can't lace, especially with that angle. It would be south of the glide path, and there's not that many bridges in that direction.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sardak

The bridge isn't under the flight path. He photographed the bridge nearby and added it to give perspective. The details are explained here: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/01/five-hours-of-airplane-landings-captured-in-thirty-seconds/

Mike