Unnecessary & Pointless Salute Nitpicking

Started by Sapper168, October 13, 2012, 10:24:56 AM

Sapper168

Quote from: cap235629 on October 16, 2012, 10:47:01 PM

You missed a lot of people who have nothing better to do than nitpick an ACTIVELY SERVING LIEUTENANT GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES ARMY's salute.  FYI Army C&C calls for the salute to touch the brim of the headgear worn or the eyebrow if not wearing headgear.  It could be convincingly argued that the GENERAL is doing just that.  Also, if the only salute experience you have is with CAP, SHUT UP you have no nickel in that quarter.  Until you have raised your right hand and taken the oath, keep your opinion on the matter to yourself.....

end of rant.....

First off if this isn't directed at me then ignore the rest of this, if it is probably ought to know who you are adressing before you try to 'call out' someone.  For your info i did my 4 years as a 12B in the Army even being shot at a time or two in the former Yugoslavia.

Secondly I would challenge you to 'convincingly argue' that a beret has a brim/bill/visor.  Heck even the current Army Drill and Ceremony Manual (FM 3-21.5) in figure 4-5 shows a soldier in a beret saluting and touching the eyebrow not the beret. 

Third, as far as nitpicking a 3 star general when it comes to something as simple as a salute i will quote armystudyguide.com -

" The way you salute says a lot about you as a soldier. A proud, smart salute shows pride in yourself and your unit and that you are confident in your abilities as a soldier. A sloppy salute might mean that you're ashamed of your unit, lack confidence, or at the very least, that you haven't learned how to salute correctly."
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

cap235629

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on October 17, 2012, 02:34:42 AM

You missed a lot of people who have nothing better to do than nitpick an ACTIVELY SERVING LIEUTENANT GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES ARMY's salute.  FYI Army C&C calls for the salute to touch the brim of the headgear worn or the eyebrow if not wearing headgear.  It could be convincingly argued that the GENERAL is doing just that.  Also, if the only salute experience you have is with CAP, SHUT UP you have no nickel in that quarter.  Until you have raised your right hand and taken the oath, keep your opinion on the matter to yourself.....

end of rant.....

First off if this isn't directed at me then ignore the rest of this, if it is probably ought to know who you are adressing before you try to 'call out' someone.  For your info i did my 4 years as a 12B in the Army even being shot at a time or two in the former Yugoslavia.

Secondly I would challenge you to 'convincingly argue' that a beret has a brim/bill/visor.  Heck even the current Army Drill and Ceremony Manual (FM 3-21.5) in figure 4-5 shows a soldier in a beret saluting and touching the eyebrow not the beret. 

Third, as far as nitpicking a 3 star general when it comes to something as simple as a salute i will quote armystudyguide.com -

" The way you salute says a lot about you as a soldier. A proud, smart salute shows pride in yourself and your unit and that you are confident in your abilities as a soldier. A sloppy salute might mean that you're ashamed of your unit, lack confidence, or at the very least, that you haven't learned how to salute correctly."
I wasn't referring to you
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on October 17, 2012, 01:42:09 AM
Probably because you were a 2d Lt saluting a 1st Lt and calling him 'Sir.' Like it or not, frequently in the operations world, 2d Lts don't salute 1st Lts, and don't call them 'Sir.'

I was only doing what I was taught.

And I sure didn't mean to open the can of worms by posting the picture of the top brass saluting.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 16, 2012, 09:56:53 PM
OK what did I miss??  Im not seeing any picture.

Edit:  Oh..... got it.  The funeral photo.....

end of rant.....

Okay, my turn.   I have 31 years, 4 months of service in the United States Air Force, both active duty and reserve, so I think I'm qualified to express my opinion on this.

The General's salute sucks, period. If an E4 saluted like that their First Sergeant would be on them like white on chalk.

But what do I know, I just served my country for more then half my life...

rant done...

Garibaldi

Quote from: CyBorg on October 17, 2012, 03:17:49 AM
Quote from: LGM30GMCC on October 17, 2012, 01:42:09 AM
Probably because you were a 2d Lt saluting a 1st Lt and calling him 'Sir.' Like it or not, frequently in the operations world, 2d Lts don't salute 1st Lts, and don't call them 'Sir.'

I was only doing what I was taught.

And I sure didn't mean to open the can of worms by posting the picture of the top brass saluting.

You didn't. Fact is, many top brass have either forgotten how to utilize proper C&C or just can't be bothered. I said many, not most, or even all. BMT was years behind them by the time this picture was taken. We just took it a step too far by hijacking the well-intended thread and nitpicked it to hell and gone.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

NIN

Quote from: PHall on October 17, 2012, 03:40:16 AM
The General's salute sucks, period. If an E4 saluted like that their First Sergeant would be on them like white on chalk.

But instead, the CSM/CMSgt's salute is equally crappy.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

bflynn

All of the salutes look just fine to me.  I'd be proud to serve next to any one of those fine squared away looking individuals.

Take a deep breath and get some perspective.

Critical AOA

end of rant.....
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unfortunately some in CAP think they are the military and that going to a meeting a couple of times a month and putting on a uniform somehow qualifies them.  Also even if you have served in the military, there is still little room or justification to nitpick an Army General who has given his entire life to protecting this country.  I am so much more impressed by this general even if his salute might be a bit sloppy to some than I am with a CAP member who salutes perfectly.   
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

RMW14

Not to add any fuel to any fire but I feel that everyone may be jumping to conclusions. Does anyone here personally know the specified Lt. Gen? Could he possibly have an injury to his right side preventing him from rendering a text book salute? Sen. John McCain is unable to render the text book salute due to his injuries sustained as a POW. Or maybe he has a chronic shoulder injury that is currently being treated (rotator cuff tear/injury)?

Maybe he was a little slow bringing his arm up when the picture was taken and milliseconds after it was taken the salute was in the proper text book position? It is true that a photo speaks a thousand words but it only represents the moment it was taken. It also doesn't show what may have occurred before or after it was taken.

Thus far, only assumptions have been made as to the nature of his salute in the photo and assuming anything make an, ........well I think everyone can finish that little nugget of truth on their own.
Ryan Weir Capt
Emergency Services Officer Jesse Jones Composite Squadron 304
Expert Ranger #274
NASAR SARTECH 1 Lead Evaluator/ WEMT
CD PAWG Central
AOBD,GBD,GTL, GTM1, UDF, MO, MS, MRO, AP

lordmonar

Quote from: bflynn on October 17, 2012, 11:07:39 AM
All of the salutes look just fine to me.  I'd be proud to serve next to any one of those fine squared away looking individuals.

Take a deep breath and get some perspective.
+1
I had to go back and look at the picture seveal times to figue out what the heck you guys were talking about.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PA Guy

This whole thread seems tacky, unseemly and a little disrespectful given the circumstances that spawned it.

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Cool Mace

CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Sapper168

I do think its ironic that people who think the thread is tacky and disrespectful keep adding to its reply count....  :o ::)
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

caphornbuckle

Not knowing exactly the point when it was taken, has anybody considered that the pic was probably taken as he was bringing his hand up to salute?  I notice the Air Force officer's salute is a little off as well (his index finger looks like it is touching his brow as if he was shielding his eyes from the sun).
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP