A Last Salute for an Old Soldier

Started by Cliff_Chambliss, October 11, 2012, 09:16:06 PM

Cliff_Chambliss

Today it was announced that US Army Command Sergeant Major Basil Plummley age 92 passed away in Columbus Georgia.  CSM Plummley was an Infantry Combat Veteran of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.  Retiring after 32 years active duty he continued his service to the Army and the Country as an employee at Martin Army Hospital Fort Benning, Ga.

Although he never had contact with the Civil Air Patrol many CAP Members knew of him through Lt Gen Hal Moore's book and movie of the 1st Battalion of the 7th Cavalry in Vietnam "We Were Soldiers Once and Young" and the follow on book "We are Soldiers Still".  If anything the character as played in the movie underplayed the real item.

Godspeed Sergeant Major, we'll meet on the Green.

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

capmaj

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ol'fido

Typical CT. We start out a thread to honor a fallen, shall I say hero of the old Army, and end up nitpicking some random picture because of the way someone in it is saluting. Get some perspective, folks. >:(

If any of you have the DVD of "We Were Soldiers", check out the deleted scene that centers around CSM Plummley's fearsome reputation. It was apocryphal I'm sure, but I still liked it.

Taps, Sergeant Major. We are here because of men like you.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Pylon

Out of respect for the tone of the thread, and because some people just can't help themselves, I'm trimming out the completely unnecessary and unrelated nitpicking posts and dumping them into a nitpicking thread elsewhere.  You want to continue that pointless discussion?  Do it there.

With respect for the Command Sergeant Major, Godspeed sir.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

bosshawk

Good on you, Mike.  There are CT members who must spend a lot of their waking hours nitpicking, not adding to the common good.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Pylon on October 16, 2012, 02:06:56 PM
With respect for the Command Sergeant Major, Godspeed sir.

Which is all I intended by posting the photo.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MSgt Van

He was the epitome of a senior nco. Godspeed CSM!

Cliff_Chambliss

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

FlyTiger77

Not only a veteran of three different wars, CSM Plummley also made five combat jumps--four in WWII and one in Korea. He was certainly a Soldier from a different era.

Rest in peace.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP