Main Menu

CAP and what else?

Started by James Shaw, September 29, 2012, 01:39:00 PM

James Shaw

What other organizations are you participating in?

CAP members have a history of supporing other great organizations.....how about us?

For example?
American Legion
USCG Auxiliary
VFW

I know they have different missions.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

vento

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Dad2-4

CAP
BSA (temporary hiatus)
NRA
Church

Edit:
4H (not current)
TX Hunter Ed.

Garibaldi

CAP
VFD
starting CERT training in the spring
starting EMT training in January
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

mikebank

1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy

Spaceman3750

GroundHawg

CAP
USCG Auxiliary
VFW
MOPH
SCV/MOSB

And Im running for office

Devil Doc

Well

CAP-Current
WWP-Current
VFW-Not current
MOPH-Not Current
CERT- Training as we speak
JROTC-Not current

I work for the Dept of Veterans Affairs, does that count?

I used to dab my hands into alot of things. My work keeps me busy.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

♠SARKID♠

CAP
WI Hunter's Safety - Instructor
ULC
BSA - Former

One of these days I'll get around to adding NRA to that list.

ol'fido

CAP
Project Appleseed/RWVA(Revolutionary War Veteran's Association)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Spaceman3750

Quote from: ol'fido on September 29, 2012, 08:12:32 PM
CAP

One day I'm going to get to an Appleseed shoot - they sound pretty fun!

jimmydeanno

CAP - Squadron Commander
AFCEA - (http://www.afcea.org/) - Chapter Officer
CHURCH - Random Volunteer Needs

That takes about all the volunteer time I have. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

saleet

Lets see:

DAV
VFW
American Legion
NRA
USO
BSA (not current)

caphornbuckle

CAP
BSA
CSA (Cub Scouts)
GSUSA (Girl Scouts)
NESA (National Eagle Scout Association)
PAL CLUB (Police Athletic League)
ONMC (Official NASCAR Members Club) - not current
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Devil Doc

So the consenses is, we are all volunteers in numerous things. "Ask not what your Country can do for you but, what can you do for your Country"
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

umpirecali

CAP
Church praise band
Noble Warriors
Coach for upwards football
College baseball umpire
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Flying Pig

I left CAP about 1 1/2 yrs ago because I just ran out of time with work, which is actually a good thing.  Church Board Member is about the only "volunteer" work I do and things associated with that.  Beyond that, watching my kids play school sports. 

Walkman

CAP
BSA
Church youth leader
2 Jobs

AirDX

I wish I had time for a laundry list of alphabet organizations.  CAP, a house, a family, a mildly demanding job, and working on a masters degree keeps me from sleeping as as much as I'd like already.  In years past I was in the PTAs, served on the library board and library 5-year plan committee, school-community council, board member on a national non-profit, volunteer educator, etc. 
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

CAP4117

Walkman

Anyone do anything in the Sons of the American Legion? I'm interested, but haven't been able to get in with the touch local unit.

manfredvonrichthofen

My son wants to be a boy scout, he is in first grade and there is no den leader for the tiger cubs. I have thought about becoming the den leader, but there are more classes than I even know about, I know of two that I would have to go to little rock for, and that's two hours away from me, and there are more that I would have to take I'm sure.

The troop leader has asked me to be the den leader for the tigers, but I am worry about it. I have never had anything to do with the boy scouts, and my wife says I would have to quit CAP. What to do?  Any help?

Garibaldi

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 30, 2012, 12:49:32 AM
My son wants to be a boy scout, he is in first grade and there is no den leader for the tiger cubs. I have thought about becoming the den leader, but there are more classes than I even know about, I know of two that I would have to go to little rock for, and that's two hours away from me, and there are more that I would have to take I'm sure.

The troop leader has asked me to be the den leader for the tigers, but I am worry about it. I have never had anything to do with the boy scouts, and my wife says I would have to quit CAP. What to do?  Any help?

I don't think you'd have to quit CAP, unless your wife is making it a condition of continued marriage  >:D

Seriously, though, being active in both organizations is really time intensive. There is a dual-charter you can pursue for CAP-BSA. I don't know what's involved in doing that, but I do know that one of our members had that going for us a few years ago.

caphornbuckle

Actually, most of the program for Den Leader Training is online now and is available at www.myscouting.org.  Den Leaders probably have one of the easiest training programs in scouting.  PM me if you would like details.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 30, 2012, 01:04:47 AM

I don't think you'd have to quit CAP, unless your wife is making it a condition of continued marriage  >:D

Seriously, though, being active in both organizations is really time intensive. There is a dual-charter you can pursue for CAP-BSA. I don't know what's involved in doing that, but I do know that one of our members had that going for us a few years ago.
No, not a condition of continued marriage, she just thinks there is too much on my plate already. I have a daughter who is a cheerleader, a daughter who wants to do 4h, a son who wants to be a boy scout, a one year old (turns one on the 17th), and I am ESO soon, leadership Officer, hopefully R&RO, so there is a lot going on. But would I be kicking myself for joining BSA, and quitting CAP?

bosshawk

Like Flying Pig: I left CAP about a year and a half ago, but haven't missed a beat.

American Legion
VFW
OV-1 Mohawk Association(Past Executive Director)
Army Aviation Heritage Foundation
local Sheriff's SAR Team(resident pilot)
had a one year tour on the Grand Jury
Angel Flight West

Other than that, nothing since I retired from real work in 2003.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Garibaldi

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 30, 2012, 01:58:44 AM
Quote from: Garibaldi on September 30, 2012, 01:04:47 AM

No, not a condition of continued marriage, she just thinks there is too much on my plate already. I have a daughter who is a cheerleader, a daughter who wants to do 4h, a son who wants to be a boy scout, a one year old (turns one on the 17th), and I am ESO soon, leadership Officer, hopefully R&RO, so there is a lot going on. But would I be kicking myself for joining BSA, and quitting CAP?

I can't really answer that question. I was out for 6 years due to financial hardship and school, but CAP was never far from my heart and thoughts. Barring something catastrophic with our government or funding, CAP will always be here. You can always come back.

Extremepredjudice

Do non-military things count?

Student Government
Phi Theta Kappa
Media club
Teen court
Rifle club
chess club
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

James Shaw

My reason for posting question.

I am doing a paper for school about volunteers and their various activities. Most volunteers have a history of continued service over their lifetime because it becomes part of their personality to support and nurture. Not always at the same level but they stay active for an average of 12 years with each and then go to other organizations where they can regain the challenge of helping. The activity average is three major groups per person per lifetime association. Other stats are pretty interesting such as:

1) Reason for joining
2) Reason for staying
3) How they get paid
4) why they leave
5) How they become complacent
6) How to renew the spirit of a volunteer
7) Family Influence of Service
8)The loss of a volunteer
9) The fostering of a volunteer
10) Organizational support
11) Organizational destruction

More info to follow once I am done.

Edit: We were not aloud to include our own organizations, so as to have a clearer unbiased approach.

Here are a few of mine:

CAP
Masons
AWANA
Artist Guild
Praise Choir
American Legion
Navy Cryptologic Veterans Association
MOVA
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

jimmydeanno

I've volunteered a few times for single-day volunteer stuff, but I wouldn't really consider it as one of my volunteer organizations.  To me, volunteering for something (living our core value of volunteer service) is more than spending two days a year, or writing a check.  So, I didn't include most of those options because I volunteer to help, but don't really get two feet in.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Phil Hirons, Jr.

CAP - RIWG IG / active IC
Chairman / Coach / Record keeper for my gun club's junior rifle program
Town Republican Chairman / County VP Chairmens' Caucus / State GOP Exec Committee
Campaign Treasurer for my districts state house and senate candidates

Devil Doc

WOW, who knew so many people in CAP was active in Politics or City Counsel.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

PA Guy

CAP
USCG Aux
NDMS/DMAT
Police Reserve (CA POST Lvl I)

AngelWings

CAP
JROTC
CERT
Here and there with local soup kitchens
Former Adopt-A-U.S. Soldier
Former Cub Scout

ProdigalJim

Current
CAP
Volunteer Fire
Community Science Institute (riparian surveillance/water testing)
Amtrak National Customer Advisory Committee (Nat'l Chairman)
Mentorship program, work

Former
BSA
Little League coach
Gymnastics booster club
Parent/Teacher/School Association (PTSA)
Band boosters

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

ol'fido

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 29, 2012, 08:14:29 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on September 29, 2012, 08:12:32 PM
CAP

One day I'm going to get to an Appleseed shoot - they sound pretty fun!
Here's the schedule for the rest of the year:

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=IL&statename=Illinois

wuzafuzz

Current:
CAP (Wing: DC. Squadron: Deputy Commander Seniors, Ass't ES officer, alert officer, Ass't PAO, Ass't DC)
ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services)

Past:
Boy Scouts of America (Ass't Den Leader for Tigers and Cub Scouts, Den Leader for Webelos.)

Add a boatload of memberships during my school years, but I don't count those as volunteering since I was a beneficiary of the programs.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Jon Knapp

CAP
Army Corp of Cadets
American Red Cross
Volunteer Fire Dept
Jonathan D. Knapp, C/1st Lt, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, MER-NC-800

sab163

CAP
4H
FFA(Future Farmers of America)
1st Regiment of Foot Guard - American revolutionary War Reenacting Group
New England Role Playing Organization (NERO)
Several Airsoft Organizations

bflynn

CAP
USSVI

I've been considering
American Legion
VFW
CGAux

There's a real nice AL post just 1/2 mile down the road from our new house.

Garibaldi

Quote from: bflynn on October 01, 2012, 07:56:49 PM
CAP
USSVI

I've been considering
American Legion
VFW
CGAux

Can you do both VFW AND American Legion? I'd always thought it was one or the other, but then I am neither a Veteran of a Foreign War nor a retired AD military person.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 01, 2012, 09:06:06 PM

Can you do both VFW AND American Legion? I'd always thought it was one or the other, but then I am neither a Veteran of a Foreign War nor a retired AD military person.

AL you served during war time. (WW 2, Korea, Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan) but necessarily in the war zone
VFW served and received a campaign medal indicating overseas service.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

ol'fido

Also Desert Shield/Storm and that's "not" necessarily in a war zone. As long as you were serving somewhere during the inclusive dates. I was in Hawaii(25th ID) during Desert Shield/Storm so I am good for AL but not VFW. One of these days I need to get on that.

bosshawk

If my memory serves me correctly, membership in the Legion only requires honorable service: not needed to have served in war time.  I belong to both: twice qualified for VFW(Korea service and VN).  Both are good organizations: I prefer our local VFW Post, but that's a local thing.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Brad

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Private Investigator

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 01, 2012, 09:06:06 PM
CAP
USSVI

I've been considering
American Legion
VFW
CGAux

My grandfather was a founding member of the Ameican Legion in Paris in 1919. My father, myself and my two oldest children are members too.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I get mailings from the Legion now and again asking me to join.  I've never joined, though...I don't feel I'd be worthy to sit among these people who have really served.  I was just an ANG guy who got a medical discharge (honourable conditions) before his enlistment was complete.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Danger

CAP
High school

I have my driving permit.. Does that count? ;)
"Never take anything too seriously."