Among SMs, how many of you wear a service cap?

Started by Dad2-4, September 27, 2012, 07:11:44 AM

Among Senior Members, how many of you wear a service cap?

Wear it regularly.
10 (8.4%)
Wear it occasionally.
12 (10.1%)
Wear it only on special occasions with the service coat.
28 (23.5%)
Have one but very seldom wear it.
4 (3.4%)
Have one but never wear it.
6 (5%)
Don't own one, but might wear it if I had it.
22 (18.5%)
Don't own one, don't want one.
37 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Dad2-4

Just curious as to how many SMs wear the service cap (bus driver, wheel cap, etc.). When I was enlisted in the USAF everyone was issued one but didn't wear it outside of PME due to wearing a blue beret. In CAP I seldom see them being worn by SMs. Now that I'm a Major I was thinking of getting one to have for full blues occasions.
Love 'em or hate 'em, what's your take on them?

SarDragon

I'm no longer allowed to wear one, but when I was, I had one for a little while. I fairly quickly decided that wearing it was a PITA, and went to the flight cap almost exclusively. I wore one in the Navy for a while, and retained that opinion, but there were no other choices, until it was discontinued for E-6 and below.

If I were to shave my beard, and become eligible, I would likely not get another one.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

I wore one because I liked it (from my prior service days) and I got a good deal on a used one. After I made Major and later Lt Col I did not want to spend money on a new one with scrambled eggs on it.   8)

spacecommand

I wear one with my service dress. 

They are pricey new!

Unrelated:
(Picture of the National Commander and Vice Commander with Cadets at Wreaths Across America 2011)

PA Guy

Wore one as a cadet for short while and never as a senior.  They are a PITA.

Walkman

I've never had one. What makes them such a pain? Is it that you can't tuck it under you belt like the flight cap? Hard to keep clean?

jeders

As a cadet officer and a company grade SM I wore the service cap anytime I wore the service dress (imagine that). Now that I'm a Major, I don't want to drop the coin on a new field grade cap, so I wear the flight cap exclusively. As for being a pain, I never thought they were. Just remember though, a service cap left unattended is fair game for any mischief which may befall it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Phil Hirons, Jr.

"Don't own one, but might wear it if I had it."

Might if I could wear the blues that is.

Angus

It depends on where I'm going and what's going on.  I've acutally been using the same hat sinc 1998 when I was an officer in AFJROTC.  Although it's almost time to retire it, just waiting till I get my Major when it has to be replaced any way. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Stonewall

I compare the saucer cap to the mess dress uniform, too costly and not practical.
Serving since 1987.

Cool Mace

I wore mine when I was a cadet officer. I haven't touched it since though. I think they look good, but are PITA to carry around.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Garibaldi

Quote from: phirons on September 27, 2012, 01:52:38 PM

I can haz tigerstripe blues and saucer hat plzkthxbai?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

abdsp51

I'm contemplating buying one again to wear both on AD and with CAP.  While it can be a pain to carry around, IMO they look much better than the flight cap.  I wore a service cap when I was a cadet and sold the one I had because I wasn't able to wear it.  Now that its an option I'd shell out the 50 bucks for the cap and device for AD wear.

sab163

wear it all the time when in blues, it provides some shade, and don't have to worry about the wind blowing it off my head.

coudano

I own one, but only wear it for full service dress, and then only for special occasion,
which is extremely rare for me, as in:  once or twice in the past ???   18 years?

99.9% of the time, i'm in a golf shirt or aviator shirt.

cwade1775

When I could wear blues, I would wear it with service dress.  I wore the flight cap at other times
Christopher Wade
Major CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
McMinnville Composite Squadron
Oregon Wing

Al Sayre

I have one.  I only wear it with Service Dress, and then only for "special occasions", like meetings with state officials who kind of "expect" it, outdoor ceremonies, funerals etc.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

mwhitis

Quote from: phirons on September 27, 2012, 01:52:38 PM

+1

SarDragon

Quote from: Walkman on September 27, 2012, 12:15:24 PM
I've never had one. What makes them such a pain? Is it that you can't tuck it under you belt like the flight cap? Hard to keep clean?

Yes. Yes.

Many places you go require that you essentially abandon your expensive hat in a cloak room, or hat table, while you go about your business. This leaves your hat open to theft, mischief, and lack of care by the custodian. I got burned like that twice in the Navy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

I have one, and wore it as a cadet officer... When I finally was exposed to the world outside of my home unit and MAWG, I realized I looked like a dork and stopped wearing it.

There have been a few times as an Auxie where I have not attended an event because the UoD was Tropical Blue with combination cap, and I couldn't bring myself to buy the stupid hat.
Mike Johnston

PHall

I own one and it usually gets worn once a year on Memorial Day when we have a ceremony at Gil Robb Wilson's gravesite.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I had one but sold it during one of my breaks in service in CAP.

If my promotion to Major goes through, I might get another one with farts and darts.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Dad2-4

How often do field grade caps come up for sale online? I realize my chances of finding one online in the right size are probably pretty slim. What's also interesting is that a new one at Vanguard is $75 plus $7.75 for the  device, but another website called uniforms-4u.com that wants $129.99!!  :o

RickFranz

Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Brad

I wear it pretty regularly, keeps the sun out of my eyes.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

BrannG

If I'm in full Service Dress (not Class B Blues, but with the Service Coat for the ones who get confused..), the Service Cap is warn. If I'm in Class B or Flight Suit when appropriate, it's the regular officer headgear..

Lackland Cadet Squadron - SWR-TX-007 2012-Current
Kelly Composite Squadron - 42178 (Deactivated) 1994-2000
Cadet from 1994-1998
Senior Member from 1998-2000, 2012-Current
United States Air Force 2000-2006, 0-3

tsrup

I only wear it if:

a) I'm wearing my service coat

and

b) I'm not going to have to keep track if it all darn day.

If the majority of the event is going to be indoors then the service cover is just one cumbersome thing to try and cary and keep track of.  Sometimes the flight cap is just better.
Paramedic
hang-around.

MSG Mac

Quote from: Dad2-4 on September 29, 2012, 02:30:33 AM
How often do field grade caps come up for sale online? I realize my chances of finding one online in the right size are probably pretty slim. What's also interesting is that a new one at Vanguard is $75 plus $7.75 for the  device, but another website called uniforms-4u.com that wants $129.99!!  :o

I checked them out at the Military clothing sales last week. $56.75 for the Field Grade Cap
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

caphornbuckle

I got my Field Grade Service Cap at a good price through a website.  Almost dirt cheap and in excellent condition.  I'll try to locate the website again.

Until then:

Air Force Field Grade Service Caps

$50.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Air-Force-Field-Grade-Service-Cap-/260726655636
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Rosco P

I wear one on special occasion since I am representing CAP and USAFAUX and extremely proud of it...which my cadets look upon me not just to look good but know how to be a proud member and about a cost...i think many other ways that we waste our money, but have a cadet look upon you is priceless

JROB

I wear it only on special occasions or as the case at my last encampment when another senior needed my cap device.
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

mmouw

I worn mine today. I was getting ready for a change of command and noticed it sitting there on the shelf. So I decided to mix things up!
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

JoeTomasone

Like many others, I wear the Service Cap with Service Dress and the flight cap when not wearing the Service Coat.   

I think it looks dorky (on me only?) any other way.

Pylon

Service cap: never.  At least not in CAP.  I'm not the same silly cadet officer I once was back in the day, thinking I was super-hard-kewl for wearing the bus driver cap.   Marine uniforms is a different story.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Texas Raiders

I have a service cap, but will only wear it with the service coat.  Aside from those occasions, I believe the garrison cover, sorry......the flight cover to be more appropriate, even though I hate them.
SM Randy Patterson
DPO
399th Comp. Squadron,  Danbury, CT "Yankee Hatters"
IAFF Local 1567
USCG- 1998-2010   Boatswain's Mate
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

Storm Chaser

I used to wear one from time to time back when I was a cadet officer. I have never worn one in the Air Force or as a SM in CAP. The Air Force requires that field grade officers and above (major and above) own one (they're optional for enlisted and company grade officers (2d Lt - Capt), but in my experiences most officers rarely wear them. I haven't seen many SM wear them in my area either. That being said, I wouldn't mind wearing one on special occasions with service dress uniform. Any other time, it just seems impractical to me.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 18, 2013, 05:20:30 PM
I used to wear one from time to time back when I was a cadet officer. I have never worn one in the Air Force or as a SM in CAP. The Air Force requires that field grade officers and above (major and above) own one (they're optional for enlisted and company grade officers (2d Lt - Capt), but in my experiences most officers rarely wear them. I haven't seen many SM wear them in my area either. That being said, I wouldn't mind wearing one on special occasions with service dress uniform. Any other time, it just seems impractical to me.

I have one, and only rarely wear it.  Special occasions for me as well.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Shawn W.

I own a service cap and I where it proudly whenever I am in my blues. :-D

Major Rob

As others have said, service coat = service cap, no coat = flight cap. I just tend to think it looks best that way.

Rick-DEL

I'll have to order one somewhere. We have the Wing/Region Banquet coming up, want to look sharp  8)

My old (very old) one from the USAF is from back when I had a pea head. And, I have no clue where to even begin to search for it.

bflynn

Which CAP uniform does the service cap match with?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: bflynn on February 23, 2013, 10:56:18 AM

All the USAF-style blue uniform combinations (service dress, light blue short and long sleeve service uniform).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

J2H

SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

bflynn

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 23, 2013, 04:43:02 PM

All the USAF-style blue uniform combinations (service dress, light blue short and long sleeve service uniform).

So...no CAP uniforms.

abdsp51

Quote from: bflynn on February 23, 2013, 09:24:10 PM

So...no CAP uniforms.

No for the corporate uniforms and yes for the AF style. 

huey

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 23, 2013, 09:59:17 PM
Quote from: bflynn on February 23, 2013, 09:24:10 PM

So...no CAP uniforms.

No for the corporate uniforms and yes for the AF style. 
That means no headwear for corporate uniform?! Some might have a ball cap to go with that!!

Newslick

Have one, wear it seldom.
Got a nice expensive Bancroft stolen in the Navy when I put it on a hat shelf while eating lunch in the mess hall. I had the brim waxed, device polished, and doubleknit cover tensioned like a sheet of gleaming white drywall.   >:( Never bought an expensive one again, got one from the Lucky bag. I was E5 and we did not have the option of the flight cap equivalent as officers and Chiefs did at that time.
I thought about booby trapping one with razor blades or lice or some [darn] thing to teach some larcenous miscreant a lesson but did not. >:D

Tend to wear it with the service dress coat. With short sleeve blue dress shirt and green bag, wear flight cap.

With the service cap I look like a more fit Ralph Kramden. With the flight cap I look like Karzai, that guy from Afghanistan. Can't win either way.