Ergodyne Tenacious Hi-Viz Molle Vest

Started by Eclipse, September 26, 2012, 05:30:00 PM

Eclipse

Saw this here in Vegas yesterday.  The search is over, no more excuses to use black or camo.

http://www.ergodyne.com/products/pages/default.aspx?PCA=82&PRD=569

They said as-is it would go about $100 w/o pouches.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Noble Six

United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

mwhitis

If only it were ANSI 2 compliant, it'd be perfect.   ;)

Noble Six

A safety vest worn over it will fix that   :D
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

mwhitis

Not sure if anyone else was curious about these, but I noticed that they're available on Amazon now.  Looks like $80 for the vest only or $125 for the vest + pouches combo.

Seriously thinking about adding one of these to my Christmas list.  :)

Mike

Dad2-4

Quote from: mwhitis on September 26, 2012, 11:28:20 PM
If only it were ANSI 2 compliant, it'd be perfect.   ;)
Does anyone make an ANSI 2 first responder/tactical vest? I've seen various orange or yellow vests with lots of pockets, but none have been ANSI 2. I'd love to find a vest with a detachable day pack that's ANSI 2 with or without the pack at a reasonable price.. Seems like someone could make one with enough reflective material sewn on.

Walkman

Quote from: Dad2-4 on December 02, 2012, 10:58:39 PM
Does anyone make an ANSI 2 first responder/tactical vest? I've seen various orange or yellow vests with lots of pockets, but none have been ANSI 2. I'd love to find a vest with a detachable day pack that's ANSI 2 with or without the pack at a reasonable price.. Seems like someone could make one with enough reflective material sewn on.

I've been looking for one for a while. There's a few out there, but they are pricey. Luckily for me, I have a friend that is a talented seamstress, several extra orange vests for fabric and a design blueprint.

mwhitis

Quote from: Walkman on December 03, 2012, 02:07:21 PM
Quote from: Dad2-4 on December 02, 2012, 10:58:39 PM

I've been looking for one for a while. There's a few out there, but they are pricey. Luckily for me, I have a friend that is a talented seamstress, several extra orange vests for fabric and a design blueprint.

Walkman,

Any chance you'd be willing to share the blueprint?  I've got a few yards of high vis orange fabric sitting around that I bought on a whim a few months back.  I've been thinking about trying this myself, but haven't been able to find a vest pattern that I like.

Mike

N7MOG

Willing to bet to get/maintain ANSI 2 you can't have a bunch of stuff hanging off of it that reduces the visibility factor.  So, a vest over the top of it is ludecrous at best when you're trying to satify visibility standards with the garment that has your 24 stuff hanging off of it...branch snagger extraordinaire! It's about as bad as putting the vest on and hanging a dark/camo pack over the top of it.
Bill Collister
SD WG DC
Bill Collister
SDWG DC
Cadet in 1968-1973 (Mitchell Award)
Collecter of knowledge since then, finding out my parents got real smart about the time I turned 18....
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome - Semper Fidelis

The original content of this post is Copyright (c) 2014 by William Collister.  The right to reproduce the content of this post within CAP-Talk only for the purposes of providing a quoted reply, by CAP-Talk users only, is specifically granted. All other rights, including "Fair Use," are specifically reserved.

Walkman

Quote from: mwhitis on December 04, 2012, 01:51:19 AM
Walkman,

Any chance you'd be willing to share the blueprint?  I've got a few yards of high vis orange fabric sitting around that I bought on a whim a few months back.  I've been thinking about trying this myself, but haven't been able to find a vest pattern that I like.

Mike

PM Sent

SARDOC

something like this might be a move in the right direction as well.  It's a bit pricey but not bad thinking.

http://www.thevestguy.com/product/10367

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on December 04, 2012, 04:10:27 PM
something like this might be a move in the right direction as well.  It's a bit pricey but not bad thinking.

http://www.thevestguy.com/product/10367

You an get the same style vest on eBay for ~$25.  IMO it's the one that should be adopted as standard for CAP ground teams.
It fits the whole kit, can be procured in ANSI II, and matches the role we play.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on December 04, 2012, 05:12:33 PM
...It fits the whole kit, can be procured in ANSI II, and matches the role we play.

Can you really fit a full 24-hour gear set in that? That would be cool if so, but it looks to me like you'd still need a small pack to go with it.

Eclipse

Quote from: Walkman on December 04, 2012, 06:31:59 PM
...It fits the whole kit, can be procured in ANSI II, and matches the role we play.

Can you really fit a full 24-hour gear set in that? That would be cool if so, but it looks to me like you'd still need a small pack to go with it.

The full list, including an MRE fits, - there's a large pocket in most of them in the back for things like the tarp, food, etc.
On mine, the pockets are 1/2 empty.  When you get down to it, there's not really >that< much stuff required for GTM.
The MRE is usually the bulkiest thing.  Break that up into its parts and its even easier to fit everything.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on December 04, 2012, 06:34:56 PM
Quote from: Walkman on December 04, 2012, 06:31:59 PM

The full list, including an MRE fits, - there's a large pocket in most of them in the back for things like the tarp, food, etc.
On mine, the pockets are 1/2 empty.  When you get down to it, there's not really >that< much stuff required for GTM.
The MRE is usually the bulkiest thing.  Break that up into its parts and its even easier to fit everything.

I always tell people to break the MRE down, even out of the cardboard and store the heaters in a WATERPROOF container like a ziploc.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

MIKE

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 04, 2012, 07:29:44 PMI always tell people to break the MRE down, even out of the cardboard and store the heaters in a WATERPROOF container like a ziploc.

The FRH is intended to be used with the cardboard container.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on December 04, 2012, 07:35:09 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on December 04, 2012, 07:29:44 PMI always tell people to break the MRE down, even out of the cardboard and store the heaters in a WATERPROOF container like a ziploc.

+1 they don't work right without it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on December 04, 2012, 07:46:29 PM
Quote from: MIKE on December 04, 2012, 07:35:09 PM

+1 they don't work right without it.

blast.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SARDOC

That Cardboard had a lot of different uses during SERE School.  I don't think I'd be so quick to get rid of the cardboard.